anyone applying to the edward Via COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patient

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what is going on with that new school. I really would like to apply but it seems that everything ould be too slow for they may start accepting applications late in the season .
please, can someone explain to me what would be the chances of getting in a school that starts accepting applications in November.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

new school? Im sorry but I dont know anything about what school you are refering too.

I got this email from aacom

VCOM was originally scheduled to receive their provisional accreditation in September. However, due to scheduling conflicts, the AOA moved their meeting back to the end of October. We will be happy to forward your application to them once we receive permission to do so from the AOA.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you have a link to anymore information about them?

Yea, I thought it would be cool to be the first entering class at Edward Via VCOM, but you would run the risk of not knowing if there were any "bugs" as with anything new. Also, I think they require that you take biochemistry as a prereq, which I haven't.

The website is http://www.evvcom.org

supposedly if you send an email to aacomas indicating your desire to apply, they will send your app as soon as evvcom receives their preliminary accreditation from the aoa.

btw, I met with Dr. Don Haight (director of admissions at TUCOM) last Friday when he was on campus at my alma mater giving a talk about osteopathic medicine. He indicated that there was also a new school opening in the near future in Utah.

Russell

I just copied this from their front page:

UPDATE ON ACCREDITATION: The Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine has successfully completed all the necessary steps for provisional accreditation. We are currently waiting to receive the official letter from the Bureau of Professional Education of the AOA which will grant our status. The Bureau is scheduled to meet in October 2002. Once the letter arrives we will begin receiving applications from AACOMAS. Please check this website often for further updates and developments as well as the posting of our secondary application. The secondary application contains the necessary forms for submitting letters of recommendation. SECONDARY APPLICATIONS AND LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE ACCOMAS APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED.

Welcome to the Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM), a post-baccalaureate professional medical college located in Blacksburg, Virginia, in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountain area. As the Commonwealth of Virginia prides itself in academic excellence, so does the Edward Via Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine. The College administration and faculty are committed to quality education. VCOM operates under a collaborative agreement with Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech) and is located in the Virginia Tech Corporate Research Park, thereby creating an environment that promotes excellence in education and research. The Mission of VCOM is to prepare competent osteopathic primary care physicians to serve the rural and medically underserved areas of the Commonwealth of Virginia, North Carolina, and the Appalachian region and to provide scientific research that will improve the health of all humans. To achieve this mission, we seek to recruit faculty and students who are highly qualified, knowledgeable, compassionate, enthusiastic, and dutiful. Your choice of VCOM is a choice for quality.

Dixie Tooke-Rawlins D.O.
Dean of VCOM

i emailed the AACOMAS people and was told that i could still not designate that my app be sent to Edward Via VCOM because they haven't received their official accreditation yet. once they do receive it, i have to go back to my AACOMAS app and designate VCOM (and pay another $50).

hope this helps.

john

The new school is definitely underway here. I watch the buildings go up every time I go out to Christiansburg. From what I have heard the schools is going to be very good and will only be slightly behind in the application process. For anyone applying Blacksburg is the best place to live and Hokie football is a big plus!

I talked to my pre med advisor about this school since he's had some experience setting up two medical schools in texas. He said just as a rule of thumb that it can be very risky to attend a brand new school and it should usually be a last resort school.

He was wondering about the faculty the school will have which will most likely reflect the dean? they choose. Plus it'll be brand new and will have lots of bugs to work out. And finally about its reputation initially. He said it'll prob be a great school in a few years, but I shouldn't make it my top choice.

I plan on applying to the school. One of my best friends is in a PhD program in ChemEngineering at Virginia Tech. It's one of the best science programs and I can't imagine that a medical school associated with the science division of Virginia Tech would provide anything but an excellent education.

The secondary for EVVCOM is now available at http://www.evvcom.org

I don't know whether AACOMAS is sending them applications yet. If there is anyone out there who has recently applied and was able to designate EVVCOM, let us know.

Russell

i designated them when I mailed them a money order with some additional schools I wanted to apply too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I have been sitting on my completed secondary waiting to hear from the two schools that I am interviewing at this month. An admissions officer from VCOM called to offer me an interview as soon as I send my secondary. I was kind of surprised by this. Has this happened to anyone else?

WannabeDO:clap:

no:( sitting with secondaries from TCOM, PCOM, and COMP. NYCOM said they got my application postcard. I believe CCOM screened me out.

My applications were sent out to the schools on the 1st of Nov. Im hoping to get some sort of acknowledgement from them really soon. It only took a week to get my PCOM and NYCOM letters.

waiting for UHS-COM, LECOM, TUCOM, PCSOM, VCOM(EVVCOM?) and I guess technically CCOM but I dont think they like me.

I've had stupid confirmation application completed notes in hand since freekin end of september/beginning of October. Haven't heard a peep out of NYCOM or PCOM... :mad:

I have a bad feeling no news is bad news... :(

Im ther with ya :(

Im worried that all the schools I applied to will screen me out :(

why does it end with .org, but not .edu?

not sure.

has anyone heard from evvcom since they applied?

youngjock: why does it end with .org, but not .edu?

my assumption is that it is org because they weren't an accredited educational facility yet. There may be other reasons.

lmbebo: not sure.

has anyone heard from evvcom since they applied?

They called yesterday and talked to my wife. They said that they wanted to interview me, but could not until I submitted my secondary. So I sent it today.

WannabeDO

when was your primary application submitted to them?

Originally posted by lmbebo
when was your primary application submitted to them?

They sent the primaries in the order that the request was originally made to aacomas. I made my initial request in early September. They sent my primary on 11/1. They called on 11/8. Now I have to say that without my LORs my application isn't very strong. I have below average GPA and average MCAT (8BS-8VR-10PS-M). So they must be hard up for applications. Don't worry, I'm sure they will get to you in good time. Keep in mind that you were late for all of the other schools, but you are right on track for VCOM.

Good Luck,

WannabeDO

thanks for the reply. Im wishing I had that MCAT score of yours right now.

Mine was sent to them 11/1 as well. i guess they just got a big shipment of applications at once and slowly moving through them.