Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone attend Tulane's One Year Masters of Science?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by speter33, Mar 31, 2004.

1. speter33

speter33 S.D.N.'s Captain
    7+ Year Member

I like the idea of attending this one year program at Tulane very much but I have some doubts. I think it might be too much research because they require 6 credits each semester. It sounds like a lot so if anyone been through it please let me know what that's like. Also they don't offer the classes that I want to really prepare me for the future like Histology, Anatomy, and Biochem. Anyone who knows about this program please comment

Required Courses: (22 Credits)a

CELL 611 - Cells and Tissues (4)
    CELL 621 - Cellular Physiology (3)
    CELL 622 - Microbiology Lecture (3)
    CELL 786-02, 787-02 - Seminar in Cell and Molecular Biology (6)
    CELL 799, 800 - Research in Cell and Molecular Biology (6) b

Elective Courses: (8 Credits)
    Anatomy Courses:
    CELL 613 - Embryology (4)
    CELL 632 - Systems Neuroscience (3)

Disease-Related Courses:
    CELL 634 - Neurobiology of Disease (3)
    CELL 641 - Molecular Basis of Human Genetic Disease (3)
    CELL 671 - The Molecular Biology of Cancer (3)

Experimental Science Courses:
    CELL 600 - Bioethics (3)
    CELL 631 - Cellular Neuroscience (3)
    CELL 633 - Cellular Gene Regulation (3)
    CELL 635 - Developmental Neurobiology (3)
    CELL 663 - Cellular Neurophysiology (3)
    CELL 678 - Developmental Genetics (3)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mosoriire

mosoriire Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Six credits of research is not anything at all...How do you figure how how much research is a lot? Compare the amount of research credits you have to take to the number of class credits that are mandatory. If research credits exceed a third of the required total credits, that's a lot.
    Also, how many semester of research credit are required? And how are these credits graded? That's what I would consider.
    Also, you know, most programs have quite a few extra-departmental/extra-collegial elective credits. You should be able to register for classes like Biochem, histology, immunology, anatomy, as a grad student...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. speter33

speter33 S.D.N.'s Captain
    7+ Year Member

mosoriire you bring up good points. That's one of the reasons I posted to get some answers from any students that have had experiences with this program. Hopefully some will comment soon.