Anyone Attend UAB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadMD1day

Cat Scan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanting to get the scoop.
I am a female married w/2 kids . How is the curriculum. I tried to look on the website and see about how the schedule was laid out.
Where do you live? Inner city or outer city? What do you like most about the med program? like worst?
thanks for your time...any extra tidbits would be great! :D

Members don't see this ad.

This will probably be moved over to allo class threads, but FWIW I don't think that I've run into anybody from UAB here.

I visited the campus but was rejected at UAB last year. I was an MD/PhD applicant and was attracted to it because of the massive dedication to basic science research and relative access to faculty labs compared to other schools with similar research reputations.

Uab - First year here. There's a couple others on here as well. You can PM me if you have specific questions about the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a "school specific" question and will be moved to Class Forum.

There's not much any current student can tell you about the curriculum. The class entering this coming August will be the first year of the new curriculum. They've given us a basic idea of what they're doing, trying to limit formal lectures and increase the number of small groups. The year will start out with history, ethics, communication, and other things to prepare you for dealing with patients. Then you'll do a few months of basic sciences, then move into the organ system modules that will take you through second year. The classes on the new curriculum begin third year a couple months earlier than we will (April vs. June). They're also adding in a requirement for a "scholarly project" with more options than just research.

People live all over the city, some commute to school from far out, some live within walking distance, others in between. I like the city a lot, it's pretty laid back and there's a good bit of stuff to do. There's a good mix of people, and it's not really too uptight.

My only complaint is that lectures and professors tend to be too basic science oriented, talking about experiments with mice instead of the practical uses of the knowledge. Hopefully with the change in curriculum, that will be less of a problem. They're making an effort to involve more clinical faculty to solve that problem.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

So does this mean that you guys only want to PM information about your school?

Do you have an overbearing administration or something?

No, it just means if there's more private questions she doesn't want to ask on an open public forum, she's free to us PM.

Depends on your definition of overbearing....

Depends on your definition of overbearing....

;)

I was going to ask the OP if she has had decreased libido, problems with abnormal pap smears, or vaginal dryness since having two kids; but I guess that would be better served with a PM.

:D {BlazerMed}

I actually went to a UAB basketball game when I was interviewing there. Go Blazers!