Anyone balance playing music instruments with preclinical + other duties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

croissant10947

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Title pretty much says all. Orchestra and classical music in general served as a way for me to socialize with others but I feel like I came into med school believing I wouldn't be playing my instrument until I finished residency. I plan on incorporating 60 min 2x a week if I can just for scales and basic technique practice but I'm wondering if anyone has done solo projects like playing instruments in hospitals and stuff. My school doesn't have a lot of people who play instruments or are willing to play instruments right now (which I get because preclinical is tough).

I assume rotations are when I definitely won't be able to play.
 
It sounds like music is a core element of who you are as a person. I would reach out to the volunteer department at your hospital and see if there is a way to set up a volunteer activity for you to play music in the hospital whether in a public setting or room to room. To be honest, the most kosher instrument might be the piano so would be great if your hospital just has a piano sitting in an atrium or something (a couple of hospitals I've worked at did but not all; usually the nicer ones).
 
Title pretty much says all. Orchestra and classical music in general served as a way for me to socialize with others but I feel like I came into med school believing I wouldn't be playing my instrument until I finished residency. I plan on incorporating 60 min 2x a week if I can just for scales and basic technique practice but I'm wondering if anyone has done solo projects like playing instruments in hospitals and stuff. My school doesn't have a lot of people who play instruments or are willing to play instruments right now (which I get because preclinical is tough).

I assume rotations are when I definitely won't be able to play.
Fifteen minutes a day and you'll play like Oscar Peterson.



In all seriousness you shouldn't throw away all the time you spent on your chops. I never comment on intangibles on this board, but I think that spending time on performances and preparing for them would be an awful commitment. I would just practice and play for your own pleasure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You absolutely should continue playing. Aiming for 60 minutes twice a week is highly realistic for preclinical years. I found that blocking out the time specifically for music actually improved my study focus afterward. Rotations are harder, but even 30 minutes once a week helps maintain dexterity.
 
There should be plenty of time to find musical outlets unless it really takes everything you’ve got just to pass. There are a handful of people like that, but most are able to comfortably pass with a reasonable full time effort.

I made my living as a musician for about 10 years prior to med school and I was able to keep it going all through med school. Sure, I wasn’t putting in the time I did before when it was my job, but I found enough time to have some stable local paid work all through school and did some occasional regional travel for gigs. I also started and conducted a med student choir and orchestra at one point that was also a lot of fun. Residency put a much bigger damper on performing, though was still able to do a bit especially during research blocks. Now as an attending I perform a lot locally with all of our professional arts organizations here.

You will definitely have time to practice for your own enjoyment. Don’t do too much more for the first month or two until you have an exam and see what it will take for you to comfortably pass. Once you know how much time it really takes you, if you’re like most and have some time to spare then look into local community orchestras. Just get a copy of their rehearsal schedule and compare with your school calendar and see if it’s doable. It probably will be since community groups pull in people with day jobs so most rehearsals are in the evening when you won’t have many school obligations.

You may even put out feelers at your school and see if you have enough players for a small chamber ensemble. My class and those above/below me were full of really good players so you might be surprised when you start looking.
 
Your classmates will be a talented group among them will be a classical musicians with whom you can play with. I know this is true at my school and in reading their applications, some have performed in famous venues. Plus you will have more than 60 minutes 2x a week if you manage your time well. Reach out to your classmates!
 
I have a friend who played in this group all through residency and still plays now as an ENT attending at Michigan. She also played with similar groups as a med student and during fellowship, both at other institutions.

So for the OP, people have time enough to play in a group like this and still manage to do well enough to match ENT at a top program. You should have no trouble keeping your music going as well.
 
I was in a band all through medical school that recorded and performed live. I also picked up a couple new instruments. You can definitely keep it up.