Anyone consider VIR before Surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Dreams

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
And if so, why did you choose surgery instead?

Thanks

P.S. By VIR I mean Vascular and Interventional Radiology

Members don't see this ad.

TO Illustrate: In my third year medicine clerkship we had a presentation on difficult venous access. We were told that before three call IR, after three and on weekends call surgery. I'm not saying that there aren't dedicated IR guys, but that disgusted me. Plus what happens when you have a problem with a PICC line at 6:00 on a Saturday? I truly hope that my experience is not the rule.

To be clear, I honestly never considered IR. It isn't too useful for mission work.

All for now, go back to your mini wheats.

GreatSaphenous said:
Plus what happens when you have a problem with a PICC line at 6:00 on a Saturday?

place a central line.

ir guys at my center take trauma call, and when called, come in quickly. if it's not an emergency though, they'll see ya on monday. then again if it's not an emergency, some surgery attendings will see ya on monday too. generally speaking i have found the ir guys to be pretty sharp, and hard-working.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my third year medicine clerkship we had a presentation on difficult venous access. We were told that before three call IR, after three and on weekends call surgery.

A PICC is a solution for mid-term IV access, meaning from 7 days to 6 weeks. It is NOT the solution to 'difficult venous access'.
This is the reason why there is nothing like a 'STAT PICC' or 'emergency PICC'. (exception: septic coagulopathic heme-onc patients who are at a significant risk for hemorrhage during CVC placement)

To do IR, you need to do a full diagnostic radiology residency first. Most people who do surgery really love procedures, and to spend 4-5 years largely not doing procedures during your radiology residency only to finish the IR fellowship and be somewhat limited in the procedures you do (vs. a surgeon who can do such a huge variety of things during and after your 5 year residency)...most surgery residents just love to DO stuff more.

If you want the lifestyle though - IR is a great way to get to do procedures all day and rarely spend the evenings or weekends in the hospital. Plus I'm pretty sure they make a whole lot more money than surgeons, especially when you compare hourly wage.

If you want the lifestyle though - IR is a great way to get to do procedures all day and rarely spend the evenings or weekends in the hospital.

LoL,
say, what planet do you live on ?

f_w said:
If you want the lifestyle though - IR is a great way to get to do procedures all day and rarely spend the evenings or weekends in the hospital.

LoL,

I agree with f_w that IR lifestyle sucks. But I think it is not as bad as surgeons.

f_w said:

LoL,

Actually, at a lot of institutions, IR lifestyle is QUITE nice... Coming in around 7:30-8AM, leaving by 5-6pm, rarely being called in for an emergent procedure while on call. Then again, at some institutions it can be fairly brutal (but never nearly as brutal as most surgical specialties)

How good or bad your lifestyle in IR is depends on a number of factors (in that order):

- your personality (iow how much crap you will put up with)
- the size of the hospital(s) you are covering
- the sphincter tone of your surgical colleagues
- the desire of your GI colleagues to maintain their uninterrupted sleep
- the number of cold legs that walk through the door
- presence of a trauma service (arch-shots are a rarity these day, but if you have plenty of folks who can't handle a shotgun you'll be busy)
- the political 'pull' of the ID service

There is a wide spectrum, it reaches from 'bankers hours IR' to folks who end up spending every third night in-house. Just like you will find the general surgeon who operates at some little 'doctors hospital' (sans ED) and takes off every wednesday to golf (yes, they still exist).

fourthyear said:
To do IR, you need to do a full diagnostic radiology residency first.

Actually, one of my former junior surgery residents is doing an IR fellowship @ Emory currently for this year between his PGY3 & 4 surgery years.