Anyone considering DDS/PhD??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I could only imagine what your loans would look like after this type of a program. I'm not entirely sure what you would do with the DDS, PhD - work in academia? Personally, I'm more interested in practicing dentistry than doing the research necessary to get the PhD, followed with the possibility of not practicing dentistry afterwards.

I could only imagine what your loans would look like after this type of a program. I'm not entirely sure what you would do with the DDS, PhD - work in academia? Personally, I'm more interested in practicing dentistry than doing the research necessary to get the PhD, followed with the possibility of not practicing dentistry afterwards.

These dual degree programs they pay your tuition and give you a stipend.

I was in a PhD program prior to applying to dental school, I am close but I dont care anymore, its not going to help me in the end so I am leaving. but 7 years is fast, my program was ~5-6 years for the PhD.
It helps if you want to do academia and research but if you want to do clinical work dont bother.

I need to start a real life sooner than that would allow, as much as I would love to delay it. You may be interested to know however that where I work currently, the DDSs and MDs are involved in research without a PhD and they teach as well. I think you are required to take on a fellowship prior.