Anyone do this???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue128K

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone for their undergrad. major in emergency medicine? For example, Pitt offers one where you end up getting certified as a paramedic at the end and it includes courses in buisiness management for managing an EMS service. I was just wondering if anyone went a route like this and how medical schools look on it and whether or not they would recommend it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

While not exactly the same thing, I had a friend who was a paramedic on top of graduating with a bio degree. I think that the certification and job experience helped him quiet a bit in his application and interviews.

I think it may be a good idea if you're really into EMS. Keep in mind that that major usually doesn't include organic chem or physics, so you'll have to take those in addition to the ems stuff. Personally, i'm an EMT, so to me this sounds like a wonderful idea, especially if you're an emergency medicine junky. But make sure that you'll still have time to take other, more advanced science classes as well as humanities and social sciences as these will help you not only with the MCATs but also in being a bit more well-rounded.

Good luck!

Although I agree that being a Paramedic will help your application to med school immensely I don't think it's a good idea to major in emergency medicine unless you have another major in addition to it. It seems to me that this major is very narrow and you would essentially be going to Trade School. The adcoms want to see more rounded applicants and would prefer a more academic major. Just my humble opinion.