Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone do this???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Blue128K, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Blue128K

Blue128K Member
    10+ Year Member

Did anyone for their undergrad. major in emergency medicine? For example, Pitt offers one where you end up getting certified as a paramedic at the end and it includes courses in buisiness management for managing an EMS service. I was just wondering if anyone went a route like this and how medical schools look on it and whether or not they would recommend it. Thanks.

2. ad_sharp

ad_sharp Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    While not exactly the same thing, I had a friend who was a paramedic on top of graduating with a bio degree. I think that the certification and job experience helped him quiet a bit in his application and interviews.

3. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it may be a good idea if you're really into EMS. Keep in mind that that major usually doesn't include organic chem or physics, so you'll have to take those in addition to the ems stuff. Personally, i'm an EMT, so to me this sounds like a wonderful idea, especially if you're an emergency medicine junky. But make sure that you'll still have time to take other, more advanced science classes as well as humanities and social sciences as these will help you not only with the MCATs but also in being a bit more well-rounded.

Good luck!

4. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

Although I agree that being a Paramedic will help your application to med school immensely I don't think it's a good idea to major in emergency medicine unless you have another major in addition to it. It seems to me that this major is very narrow and you would essentially be going to Trade School. The adcoms want to see more rounded applicants and would prefer a more academic major. Just my humble opinion.