anyone doing Canadian DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happychica

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyone here seems to be in the States.....I'm planning to do the Canadian DAT in November...wondering which books are useful... I already have sample problems....haven't really started studying yet....am I too late? =(

anyone here who can give me some tips for schools in Canada would be very useful
Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I took the canadian dat last feb. I recommend using the kaplan study guide. I like that book because it "overprepares" you for the dat. i.e.) if you know everything in that book, you are more than prepared to do well on the canadian dat.

also, practice practice practice for the soap. It seems easy, but once you are in there your palms will be sweaty and hands shaky. I scored a 26 on the soap only because i practiced my ass off for it.

I cannot believe that the Canadian DAT makes you carve soap! That is the most rediculous thing Ive ever heard. Why not let you people focus on the real stuff, like science. You will learn to carve in Dental school. :laugh:

Originally posted by NicolasPorter
I cannot believe that the Canadian DAT makes you carve soap! That is the most rediculous thing Ive ever heard. Why not let you people focus on the real stuff, like science. You will learn to carve in Dental school. :laugh:

I dont ask, i just do it!! Dental schools seem hell-bent on making their applicants jump through hoops to gain admission. They are in the driver's seat in that regard. So if they want me to carve soap for them I'll do it, no questions asked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Props to you Canadians. Thats a lot to be preparing for. Good for you.

I'm going to move this to Dat discussions, but could this also go in International Dental?? I'll leave that up to the other mods... ;)

I will look that that forum..Thanks a lot for your replies =)

Dentaldream - so did you get accepted into a school in Canada? and what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I have a GPA of 3.75 and I'm hearing that some people got over 3.8 and didnt get accepted...so difficult in Canada... =(

I think I had a 3.86 on U of T's 4.3 scale and 19/16 on the DAT. Supposedly they don't look at the PAT and Carving and use the academic average as only a flag (must be above 15). I didn't even get waitlisted.

At UWO I had an 86% ave. with an honors degree which supposedly gives you 2 bonus points. I was waitlisted. This was back in 1997/98 - I have heard of people getting in now with much lower averages. I think UWO puts a heavier emphasis on the DAT.