Quantcast

Anyone else find it difficult to transition to he computer in Verbal??

Join BeMo MCAT MasterMind Club®
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineappletree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I've been attempting the verbal problems on the computer, I've found it really hard to adjust. Reading on the screen is a whole other ball park for me, it completely neutralizes my ability to speed read. With the paper test, I just get a feel for the passages. It sounds weird I know, but combing through the words with my fingers helps me internalize the passages much better than a computer screen. I've been trying to do so, but I think the longer width of the columns is making it more difficult for me to efficiently move through the passages at the speed that I want.

Did anyone else experiencing this? How did you get through this?

MCAT4life

Reaction score
Since I've been attempting the verbal problems on the computer, I've found it really hard to adjust. Reading on the screen is a whole other ball park for me, it completely neutralizes my ability to speed read. With the paper test, I just get a feel for the passages. It sounds weird I know, but combing through the words with my fingers helps me internalize the passages much better than a computer screen. I've been trying to do so, but I think the longer width of the columns is making it more difficult for me to efficiently move through the passages at the speed that I want.

well once you get through 2-3 tests you should be alright. Don't underestimate that the width of the passage makes it seems short.

JSU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

You should be able to resize the text window. I put I finger on the screen and use it to guide my eyes. I hope they dont mind me doing it during the test!

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked several times here if I could resize the columns on the real test
Every time I was told that I couldn't~
=(
It's a shame. Resizing on the practice tests allow me to read twice as fast...

The thing about me is that I don't speed read side-to-side, I read down from line-to-line. So the wider the column is, the more difficult it is for me to read. The column width on the computer pretty much make it impossible for me to do this~

Northwesterly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you can't resize the actual test windows. (At least not where I took it, or probably at any Pro-metric site.) Someone more tech-savvy can probably chime in, but it seems like rather than using a secure unix-based OS to run the tests they have a lobotomized Windows setup with an always-maximized window for the test screen. (The thinking being, I guess, that if you can't minimize or resize the window you can't get at the guts of the OS and hack the test. Seems kinda iffy to me, but what do I know?)
Other than that it's basically identical to the practice tests, though. And yes, super wide columns suck.

Rayhaan

Reaction score
Just practice is all you can really do. Read internet articles too so you can get accustomed to reading in a wider format.