anyone else freakin out about no interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Analyzethis

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I am officially freaking out-for one, one of my LOR's is not coming in and I am beginning to freak out that this letter writer is not going to write it-despite constant reminders it is still not coming in-so on top of that I am freaing out that i have not heard from a SINGLE school for an interview-and I know friends are getting interviews in other specialities so I know they are under way-this is very frustrating arrgg. and I thought a US MD student would have a pretty easy time with psych-I guess not

Members don't see this ad.

Are all of your other parts in (i.e. transcript)? And have programs still downloaded your application without the missing letter? Maybe you just applied to really competitive programs that wait a while before offering interviews.

Also, I don't know when you last contacted your letterwriter, but I sent "thank you" emails including statements like, "If there's anything I can provide to help you write the letter please let me know." Or you can drop off an envelope with copies of your PS, CV and ERAS coversheet again so that everything is ready for them.

i was freaking out, but i've checked myself and im a bit calmer now ... my app is complete, has been for weeks, and no interviews... but i have reminded myself that im not the most competitive applicant, so programs will probably hold out on me for awhile, plus i've heard a lot of programs are waiting until after the dean's letter is out (nov 1) to extend invites. as far as letter writers go, they suck. when i am an attending, if someone asks me to write a letter, i will go home and do it that night. its part of the job description if you work at a teaching hospital. one of my letter writers was being a slow-poke and i finally said forget it, and assigned a letter from a family practice rotation. im glad i had the extra letter, even though its not the most relevant, its still a good letter ...

LOR's are extremely frustrating. I had great relationships with some attendings, they couldn't say enough nice things about me, but when it came time to write them down......SLOWPOKES! And you feel bad calling/paging them more than once. That's why i'm so thankful for the attendings that took care of it quickly like raspberry plans on doing. Either politely refuse to write one, or just write it and get it done with.