Anyone else getting "Continue to read" on their evaluations?

golfman

7+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2010
Status
Medical Student
So I am about halfway through my 3rd year, and I've gotten pretty decent evaluations so far. No red flags.

I try my best to always be on top of things in terms of reading, and I bring articles in and discuss them with the physicians I'm working with (not in an annoying way, and only with those that I think don' t get annoyed with that sort of thing).

It seems no matter what I do, the comment I keep getting is "Continue to read, continue to expand your knowledge."

I think that's good advice, but when a Physician on his evaluation writes 4 lines about you, and one of those lines is what I just described above, it may come off that I am sort of slacker.

Is that whole "continue to read" thing just some generic thing that many physicians put on evals? I hope I'm not the only one getting this generic advice. It is actually good advice, but it's not really an evaluation. It's just stating the obvious.

Last edited:

KeyzerSoze

Scrambled Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
Status
Medical Student
M2 here, but I've heard that "Keep reading" is so ubiquitous on evaluations that it's something of a running joke.

Smurfette

Gargamel always had a thing for blondes.
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
It's a standard comment that has no negative impact on you on your dean's letter. We said that on every student's eval in the "suggestions for improvement" box (unless there was something really concerning about the student which took precedence). Don't worry about it.

bcat85

10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Southeast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's a standard comment that has no negative impact on you on your dean's letter. We said that on every student's eval in the "suggestions for improvement" box (unless there was something really concerning about the student which took precedence). Don't worry about it.
Definitely. Its the thing you put if you don't have much else to put. If you get "continue to read" you probably did fine.

bawer234

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
"continue to read more" equates to:

"RRR no m/g
CTAB no wheezes/crackles
+BS, abd soft NT/ND w/o masses"

....its just filler, an auto-response to take up space.

jdh71

epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2006
FEMA Camp, USA
Status
Attending Physician
wait until you have to fill these out every month . . .

hot sauce

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Our evals have 2 sections - one that can be used in the dean's letter and one that is advice directly to the student. Many attending physicians put keep reading in the one that is not for use in the dean's letter. One of my favorite attendings wrote "obligatory reading comment" in it which I found pretty amusing.

As you said it is really just stating the obvious.

InTheMaking

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh contrare: Mine says "Continue Expanding Knowledge"