anyone else getting nervous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wait until March...

To be honest, the people picking you all for interviews and then for positions are not really the most normal people, nor do they have a great rationale for picking the people that they do. Some of the weirdest people you meet on interviews will be selected by the top programs, and some of the nicest and smartest human beings you meet won't match. Just wait until March, and then you can really have something to complain/celebrate about. It's really tough to judge until then.

S

Ah, so true. Certain personalities definitely hide in RadOnc, perhaps because, by default, certain personalities hide in Academics. Period.

Members don't see this ad.

yikes, still only have 6 interviews, despite the flurry of invites this week. how is everyone else doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
7 invites, 9 rejections, and 1 waitlist

Last edited:
5 invites here.

Does anyone know if a program gives additional invites without adding an interview date? Or, is this something that only happens if there is a cancellation?

Just wondering...

I am a bit frustrated looking at the growing interview invitations list resulting in my growing "no invite, but also no official rejection" list. :(

I am a bit frustrated looking at the growing interview invitations list resulting in my growing "no invite, but also no official rejection" list. :(

Same! Our invite thread has grown a lot, but just hoping some of those invites come this way. Has anyone called Penn, Harvard, or MSKCC and found out whether there will be more invites?

8 invitations, two waitlists, haven't heard from a whole bunch. Applied to 27 programs.

Last edited:
6 here... this board just increases the anxiety.

The last thing I want to do is increase any anxiety for those out there. But I'm wondering, those of you posting how many interviews/rejections you have...how broadly have you applied (i.e. how many programs and to what tier of programs?) I have a few more than what I've seen on here thus far...and I'm wondering if it's just because I applied to all programs. Any one care to share?

7 offers, 12 rejections, 1 waitlist (applied to 60+). I can't imagine schools are done sending out invites, but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
9 interviews, 4 rejections, 2 wait lists here. I applied to 28 programs. Most of the activity was in the past week.... multiple invitations for the same dates though. Frustrating but prolly an intentional weed out maneuver.

Also, I'm having trouble discerning any rhyme or reason to who interviewed or rejected me. Regional maybe? I think there is an element of guesswork on the part of PDs with regards to applicants who are serious about a particular program... I'm left thinking: maybe should have personalized my personal statement a bit more for individual programs...

Stay hopeful, friends, there are a lot of interviews still out there and more invites are likely closer to Dec/Jan as candidates withdraw from spots. :luck:

Anyone care to comment on the wisdom of e-mailing programs you haven't heard from but are interested in?

9 interviews, 4 rejections, 2 wait lists here. I applied to 28 programs.

Wow, Trust me you should not be nervous at all... if anything you should be making out your rank list!

This week was pretty bad. I was hoping to get a few invites but it didnt pan out. Crossing my fingers.

from what i heard from a "top ten" PD a standard procedure is to send in waves either as they go through apps or to ensure their top candidates get their interview date of choice. so fret not. i piled like 8 rejections this week, my fave being iowa's ridiculous email.

from what i heard from a "top ten" PD a standard procedure is to send in waves either as they go through apps or to ensure their top candidates get their interview date of choice. so fret not. i piled like 8 rejections this week, my fave being iowa's ridiculous email.

mind posting what iowa wrote? just curious how crappy it must sound.

all ive gotten is more rejections this past week...ive got 7 invites, and 1 more with conflicting dates

i'm a pretty average applicant and not feelin so good about how this is gonna work out...

yup, more rejections for me too.......looks like a pretty depressing long weekend :(

I'm holding steady at 8 invites now. Not sure I'll reach that magic 10 :/

On the same boat as you guys. 8 invites, 2 waitlists, multiple rejections, nothing positive in what seems forever, waiting on 30+ schools but not holding my breath.

I like the places where I got offers, but 8 just doesn't seem enough to be confident of a match somewhere.

There seem to be a lot of unsettled people this year. I guess it may have something to do with the reported "increase" in applications received by programs nationwide. I remember last year virtually everyone who posted on this forum had like 12+ interviews. Nonetheless, I remember 2 years ago eight interviews was the magic number. Everyone that year who had 8+ interviews matched. Keep the faith!

now is it time to worry? Or do we still have the potential of getting more interview invites the next few weeks (especially from programs that have already given out invites)??

Can u guys post ur stats? (or usmle scores n grades).. I'm trying to figure out where I fall amongst u all

Now is probably when I would start worrying, if you have not heard from a program and the interviews have gone out already, chances are very high you will not get an interview from that program. Its not impossible, but not at all likely. If you have less than 5 interviews you will likely need a back up. 8 or greater my guess is you are ok, as long as you are a nice and normal person, 5-8 is really tough, but I would have a back up. Numbers are up this year across the board...just the way it is....good luck everyone!

Now is probably when I would start worrying, if you have not heard from a program and the interviews have gone out already, chances are very high you will not get an interview from that program. Its not impossible, but not at all likely. If you have less than 5 interviews you will likely need a back up. 8 or greater my guess is you are ok, as long as you are a nice and normal person, 5-8 is really tough, but I would have a back up. Numbers are up this year across the board...just the way it is....good luck everyone!

numbers are certainly up across the board, but that only makes it challenging to get interviews. once you have secured the interviews, i would assume that data regarding length of rank lists from previous years would apply, correct?