Anyone else have this problem? (random)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Dentista

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm studying for chem, math, or bio, when I go to bed at night, I toss and turn and all I can dream about is solving equations, compounds stuff, etc. I've had dreams where I'm actually taking tests and reading the test questions word-by-word and picking the right answer on scantron sheets. I do this with all sciences, and I've even had dreams about the PAT part of the DAT like this as well. I just dream about this stuff all night long if I've been studying them. Not just for half the night, but ALL night.

Do any of you have this "problem", and if so, do you do anything to deal with it? Or is it just my brain trying to digest and understand everything I've just studied for 4 or 5 hours straight?

Edit:
Reason why I ask if there's something to be done about this is because it interferes with my sleep... big time.

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm studying for chem, math, or bio, when I go to bed at night, I toss and turn and all I can dream about is solving equations, compounds stuff, etc. I've had dreams where I'm actually taking tests and reading the test questions word-by-word and picking the right answer on scantron sheets. I do this with all sciences, and I've even had dreams about the PAT part of the DAT like this as well. I just dream about this stuff all night long if I've been studying them. Not just for half the night, but ALL night.

Do any of you have this "problem", and if so, do you do anything to deal with it? Or is it just my brain trying to digest and understand everything I've just studied for 4 or 5 hours straight?

Edit:
Reason why I ask if there's something to be done about this is because it interferes with my sleep... big time.

This used to happen when I was taking calculus I and III for some reason. Mine were totally wicked dreams in which I was on some type of cart actually attached to the polynomial curve in calculus I. I know what you mean, though. Try rereading/doing something else before bedtime since it continues.

Try rereading/doing something else before bedtime since it continues.

Ya, I am willing to bet you're having these dreams because you are studying right before bedtime. If you are then you need to stop and either study during the day or do something else before you go to sleep such as tv, movie, music, book, etc. Also if you are having sleep disturbances I would suggest exercise and cutting/lowering caffeine and sugar intake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're brain is just trying to continue working on the problems. I used to do that in college. Sometimes I would go to bed leaving some problems unsolved... then I'd wake up an hour or so later and know how to solve the problem. hahaha so weird... :confused:

NERDS.

heh, just kidding... happens to me too. Except I can't fall asleep, I just keep thinking about the test or problems...

I think you're brain is just trying to continue working on the problems. I used to do that in college. Sometimes I would go to bed leaving some problems unsolved... then I'd wake up an hour or so later and know how to solve the problem. hahaha so weird... :confused:

That's awesome.
I just realized that for example, with biology, I understand processes of certain things, etc better after I wake up from dreaming about them so intensely.

That's awesome.
I just realized that for example, with biology, I understand processes of certain things, etc better after I wake up from dreaming about them so intensely.

Yeah. I used to pull all-nighters, but after I realized that sleeping helps you memorize things... I stopped pulling all-nighters. I sleep for at least four hours before every exam... if not more.

hah. are you serious? wow....do you also dream about making love to your math books??

When I was taking O-chem class and midterms/finals were coming around, I would "take" tests in my sleep and would get nervous when I wasn't getting enough work done because my pen wasn't in my hand. I felt quite stupid when I woke up.
I know what you are all thinking...

After taking physics last year, I would think about the forces acting on everything I saw.. especially when I was driving haha.

evil physics

Edit:

Pretty sure that has happened to me.. but I more or less can't fall asleep because I'm thinking about the things I've been studying. It's like my mind can't get out of the mode. I know I've dreamed about it before, but it hasn't disrupted my sleep that much.

Like the poster above said, read something else. Maybe take a bubble bath before bed, anything to relax you and put you in a sleepy state of mind.

This has happened to me as well. I think its my brain trying to digest all the info that I've been feeding it. I even saw my scores and all...I didn't worry about it much though....just let it be...

happened to me too with Ochem.