Anyone else having issues with the Career Center?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redbull928

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school said it'll take 15 business days to mail out the LOR's. I thought that even though it said that, it'll probably take a lot less. Guess what, I was totally wrong. My school is taking its time, and it's frustrating like no other.

Members don't see this ad.

My school said it'll take 15 business days to mail out the LOR's. I thought that even though it said that, it'll probably take a lot less. Guess what, I was totally wrong. My school is taking its time, and it's frustrating like no other.

It'll probably take less than that. My school says it can take them up to 5 business days to process LOR requests, but most requests are usually sent out after a day or two.

so let me get this straight...you're complaining that they're actually going to do what they told you beforehand they would do. how does this make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
so let me get this straight...you're complaining that they're actually going to do what they told you beforehand they would do. how does this make sense?

While it doesn't make sense I understand the frustration. Honestly, **** my career center straight to the pits of hell--those clowns told me that they would send my letters to VE within a 5 day period and it's now 7 business days later and no progress has been made. What the **** are they even doing there during the summer!? It's not like they have the droves of students seen during the normal school year, and every ****ing time I go in there the stupid bitch at the desk is reading her celebrity blogs and playing online scrabble. My letters are sitting in an ELECTRONIC FILE that simply needs to be UPLOADED TO VE. How does this take more than 15 minutes? I swear college career centers across the states must be in on some OH SO HILARIOUS inside joke. Forget medicine, those fascists sit on their asses 7 of the 8 hours they are at work and probably make a pretty penny.

Everytime I call they say "yea they should be sent out sometime soon, you just have to wait" - NO, screw you. This is the last thing that needs to be done in order for me to be complete at 15+ schools; I just wish they would ****ing GET UP and take care of it so I can enjoy the calm before the interview storm.

Bottomline: I feel your pain, OP.

hey redbull, is that school UCLA? my friends from UCLA complain to me about their career center service and I believe they also told me it's 15 business days, i dont understand why they cant do it faster, honestly it doesnt make sense if it's an automated system

they also told me it's $20 if you want it priority and $8 for the possible up to 15 business days... that's a big rip off

I'd say I felt all of your pain, but UNC's career services dept. was stellar. They posted my LORs within an hour or two of receiving them and sent them off in about the same amount of time after my requests.

It's been two weeks... :-( I'm frustrated because I'm wondering how long it takes to send those. argh. I thought it'd take less due to the amount of work required to send the letters out.

my friends from UCLA complain to me about their career center service and I believe they also told me it's 15 business days, i dont understand why they cant do it faster, honestly it doesnt make sense if it's an automated system

they also told me it's $20 if you want it priority and $8 for the possible up to 15 business days... that's a big rip off

Ugh the UCLA Letter Service SUCKS. OP if you're talking about UCLA, you're not alone...I'm waiting for mine to get sent out too. I thought UCLA did postal mail though?? Is it all electronically sent?

I'm waiting for UCLA to send mine, too. Why does it have to take so long and cost so much? It's $8 per school PLUS $5 to put my AMCAS ID on it. Why does it cost 5 bucks to put 8 digits on a piece of paper, especially if I just gave the site my AMCAS number?

Ugh the UCLA Letter Service SUCKS. OP if you're talking about UCLA, you're not alone...I'm waiting for mine to get sent out too. I thought UCLA did postal mail though?? Is it all electronically sent?

agreed 100%... its just horrid. i dread going to that damn building every time.

I'm waiting for UCLA to send mine, too. Why does it have to take so long and cost so much? It's $8 per school PLUS $5 to put my AMCAS ID on it. Why does it cost 5 bucks to put 8 digits on a piece of paper, especially if I just gave the site my AMCAS number?

Wtf? That's highway robbery!

Has UCLA sent anyone's letters with the regular, not priority, request? How long did it take. I also really hope that it's not really going to take 15 days, but what have everyone else's experience been? (please add when you requested them, because the speed might depend on the stage in the application cycle)

ucla doesnt send them electronically except to the other UC schools besides itself (-drew), they send them via USPS, but my friend told me his got processed in the middle of the night once so I just conjectured that it was an automated system, or someone was there? even if it isnt automated, printing the letters and the labels should be automated and stuffing it in the envelope should take fewer than 3 minutes (over approximation) along with matching the information for correctness and that should be about 20 sent per hour or 160 requests sent per day per person, i really do not understand their inefficiency. also, my friend told me it rarely took up to 15 days, most was like 12 or something.

saa09, you didnt ask your LOR writers to include your AMCAS id on your letters? or are these schools like USC that require a cover letter. I ignored USC's cover letter n they still marked me as complete, it's easier processing for them but schools like ucla rips you off.

ucla doesnt send them electronically except to the other UC schools besides itself (-drew), they send them via USPS, but my friend told me his got processed in the middle of the night once so I just conjectured that it was an automated system, or someone was there? even if it isnt automated, printing the letters and the labels should be automated and stuffing it in the envelope should take fewer than 3 minutes (over approximation) along with matching the information for correctness and that should be about 20 sent per hour or 160 requests sent per day per person, i really do not understand their inefficiency. also, my friend told me it rarely took up to 15 days, most was like 12 or something.

saa09, you didnt ask your LOR writers to include your AMCAS id on your letters? or are these schools like USC that require a cover letter. I ignored USC's cover letter n they still marked me as complete, it's easier processing for them but schools like ucla rips you off.

I asked them once I started my application, so 2 of my letters should have the ID and 2 should not, because they were written earlier. Since two of my letters probably have the ID number somewhere on them, do you think I should just stop giving UCLA money for putting my ID number on them?
Oh, and I don't think that UCLA does a cover letter, I have no idea what they do

hmmm, i would just send it with the other 2 letters since those two have your ID on there. $5 is a big rip off to add a piece of paper with some number on it. I am sure the schools can figure it out. If your name is unique then it would be even more safe to do it

as for the cover letter, i was asking if you were sending your letters to USC because they ask you to attach a cover letter for them to process easier, i didnt attach it this time (unlike last year) and my letters were marked received