Anyone else over 30 applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wizinstick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of 20 somethings applying and considering themselves old. Are there older applicants or who have been successful at it? I'm 37 and a science teacher. I have been pushing myself to go into medicine because it is something that I always wanted. It seems hypocritical when I tell my students that they can do anything and it doesnt matter how old they are when I seem to be in the same boat. Money isnt too much of a concern for me right now. I have saved enough to finance my whole education and I have a small business that produces moderate returns.

Members don't see this ad.

This huge thread is usually on the first page: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=351126

Get ready to feel young.

Thanks for the link. I've read it; it just seems to be a thread where people tell their age. More importantly, I wanted to know about people who actually got accepted AND are over 30.

*note* Nevermind, apparently, there are some posts further into the thread that has people stating that they got in. :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I see a lot of 20 somethings applying and considering themselves old. Are there older applicants or who have been successful at it? I'm 37 and a science teacher. I have been pushing myself to go into medicine because it is something that I always wanted. It seems hypocritical when I tell my students that they can do anything and it doesnt matter how old they are when I seem to be in the same boat. Money isnt too much of a concern for me right now. I have saved enough to finance my whole education and I have a small business that produces moderate returns.

Go for it. I will be in my thirties when I start this fall. I personally think waiting till now will be a benefit for me. I am so much more ready for med school now in my thirties than I would have been in my twenties.

Plus you being financially ready will be a huge benefit. Good luck.

Thanks for the link. I've read it; it just seems to be a thread where people tell their age. More importantly, I wanted to know about people who actually got accepted AND are over 30.
There are a lot of forum regulars who were over 30 when they started med school. I was 31 when I started, and I'm finishing my fourth year now. You can read my whole app saga (and other people's too) if you look in the Nontrad Secrets of App Success thread (link available in the FAQs sticky at the top of this forum).

Best of luck to you. :)

LOL seems like all the people over 30 on this forum DID get accepted this year but me. Although I'm still waiting for UNC although I don't hold out much hope at this point... (I only applied to 2 schools this year, but if I reapply it will be closed to 20-25 and that will be my vacation time - going on interviews) I hear of people starting med school in their 50's and its not something entirely new - my pre med advisor who graduated from med school in the late 80's said there was someone 55 in her class.

Lets hope it gets better for us... but over 30 I don't think the ADCOMS bat an eye except they WILL ask you what you have been doing since college. I had to endure questions like "are you aware of how few years you will be able to practice (presumably at my advanced age I will be decrepit by the time I get done)?" I had to laugh instead of spit... LOL

Let me just say for the record, people who were fuddy duddy's in their 20's are usually still fuddy duddy's in their 50's, and seem old, look old, feel old. People who were cool cats like myself, well, that's another story. ha ha ha ha lol.

Had I known it was basically a non-issue, I would have applied fifteen years ago. I always heard that its near impossible to get in over 30 but apparently that is not the case. Knock me over with a feather.

I am 37 and will be a first year in an American alleopathic medical school in the Fall. I encourage you to pursue your dreams. If you have any questions, feel free to IM me.

It was a long haul getting here, too long to go into in a post, but I'll happily offer any advice I can to you or anyone else that's in your position.

I'm 40 and I'll be starting med school (US allo, if it matters) in a few months. the age thing has been a non-issue for me, really. if you're certain this is what you want, then don't let the fact that you are 37 hold you back!

I'll be applying after 30, my thought is to sell what will make me shine as a physician. I think that's what matters. I am 29 now in undergrad, living in underrad student housing, and attending undergrad classes, no one knows until I tell them, ad after that it's not an issue.

I honestly think the age thing made me more hesitant on undergrad work.

A

Another 40 year old here! When I start in July I will be the ripe old age of 40! lol I have am set to retire from my first career in May. If you are old enough to retire from one career to start med school that should qualify you as a non-traditional! :laugh:

Go for it! you only have one life....do what you must! :D

I'll be mid-40's by the time I apply.:thumbup::xf:

I am 39. Will be 41 when I get in somewhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be 33 years, 10 days old when I start Med school this July! I even have a teenager to boot. It's all possible if you want it bad enough!!! Go for it!!!

I'm 35, and will start US allo this fall. Go for it!

I'm 32 and will turn 33 just a few months after starting this year. GO FOR IT! Glad to see the others here, thanks for the thread.

Its been a long journey for me as well, but I'm glad I did it and am excited to get this thing going. I actually never had one question about age, but most of my interviews were "closed". Also, I look young, in fact I get carded at places still. :rolleyes: Doesn't help that my wife (same age) looks younger than me!!

Being older has had its struggles, but nothing more than being younger, just different I think. I do think the whole application circus had started my grey hair!! I just keep saying, when I graduate I wont look like a new doctor so that could be some type of advantage!!

I'll turn 39 this summer while I'm writing secondaries, 40 when I start (assuming an acceptance! :xf:)

I remember starting my pre-reqs for med school when I was 23 and feeling old because I had quit law school to do it and was freaking out. I applied to a Physical Therapy program instead because it was quicker - I got in without the full slate of pre-reqs which would have taken me one more year likely. The PT program didn't work out because about a month into it, I realized that I hated using those measurement things and palpating bones and muscles all the time and oh, yeah, taking orders from MDs. Instead of going on to finish medicine, I went back to law school and ended up extremely jaded and miserable but making six figures when I was the ripe old age of 25.

I felt like 23 was too old! What an idiot! I recently started a PhD program in my 30s and kick myself every day because I am too old, but I am learning to silence my demons. I am a mom of 2 and married, now I really do feel old. :) I think my current program is right for me, but medicine would have likely also worked back then. I think I would not be willing to do the residency now, but that's just me and where I am at in my life. I also wasn't willing to take on that debt. My PhD program is fully and well-funded, and I have saved for the endeavor.

I am almost 44 with two kids 6 and 8 and a husband (a retired doc.) who is so far not very supportive of my "mid-life crisis" idea. My grades very pretty good in nursing school GPA 3.8... Going for a NP right now but keep having my doubts. To become an MD has been an unfulfilled dream for many years now due to various circumstances.

Has anyone actuallly done it with two kids? How hard is it: med school and residency? Will I still be able to see my kids? Do I have classes ecery single day? Do I get at least 24 free hours a week?

This forum has been an inspiration!

Thank you!!!

Does a bear s**t in the woods?:D

37. Former science teacher. M1.
But what if nobody hears the poop falling? Did it still make a plop? :smuggrin:

If I get in on the first try, I'll be starting at 33. :D

I began med school when my children were 8 and 11. I'm graduating in May and they will be 12 and 14. It's totally possible.

How hard is it. That depends on you. How much study time do you need? How much sleep do you need? How supportive and helpful is your spouse?

Will you be able to see your kids. Yes. But not on away rotations if you do any.

Do you have classes every single day. Many students don't go to class. I was an auditory learner, so i went every single day. Generally you have classes 5 days a week.

Do you get at least 24 hours free a week. You get weekends free of classes. Whether you need to study during that time is up to you. Some folks need to study 8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday, others don't need to study at all weekends. Some folks barely seem to study at all. Others study all the time. Some folks need to spend hours upon hours upon hours in lab - others just a couple a week. This is highly variable.

I studied at home after my kids went to bed, so my study time was 10pm-1am. i got up at 5:30 am to get my kids ready for school (husband worked graveyards). My time after my classes until kids' bedtime was MOM TIME. No school, no studying. Homemade dinners every night and homework help. My husband was a saint who got up in the middle of his night around 2pm when the kids started coming home and stayed up with them until I got home from class around 5pm. Then he went back to bed until 9pm when I got him up to eat breakfast and go to work. We hardly saw each other and it sucked. But we made it through.

And now I'm graduating, matched to my #1 residency choice (and my family's #1 choice of where to move). We're excited beyond belief. It can be done.

Thanks for your post shyRem!

It is surprising to read that you were able to have Mom time every day and were able to be up until 1 AM. I know, four hours of sleep will not be enoughh for me. Once in a while may be.

Also, I need to factor in driving/train time. The closes med school to me is a 50 miles away. Train ride would not be as bad as as driving bec. I could study while riding. But car? Record lectures and listen? A possibility.....

Anyway, it is good to hear that it is doable in school. How about residency? I had worked as a nurse in a teaching hospital and saw firsthand what the interns go through. It was about 10 yrs. ago. Is it still the same? Will you have less time for your family as a resident that when you were a med. student?

Thank you!

Don't know yet. Residencies can vary widely regarding hours, vacation, etc. I interviewed at places that were Q3 call every year (and you have to make it up if you took vacation or away rotations - I met a 3rd year who was doing Q2 call for a month!), places that never approved a vacation request, places that had only night float and no call, places that demanded you MUST take your vacation time or they would schedule it for you and you WOULD TAKE IT OFF.

They vary. Choose wisely.

I applied at 46, and I'm now in my first year of med school. 37 is baby stuff. :)

P.S. I have 2 kids, 10 and 13.

I turn 37 one week after I start med school on August 30th....37 is the new 27 with minor improvements :)

There's only one way to find out: try

But you won't try unless you REALLY have a passion for it.

I applied at 46, and I'm now in my first year of med school. 37 is baby stuff. :)

P.S. I have 2 kids, 10 and 13.

Hey if you don't mind, would you let me know how its going for you? I mean first year curriculum? Has it been overwhelming at any point yet? And how would you compare it to a full time undergrad schedule...same or harder? Thanks! I start in a few months and I want to be mentally prepared.

You can't be mentally prepared. To put it in perspective, when I went back to undergrad at the age of 35 I took 21 credits a semester. Early on I took my "cake" courses - the required english, music, etc. Towards the end my semesters were all upper level math, chem and physics. Including pchem (which I really loved). These semesters were NOTHING compared to the workload of medical school. Not that med school is difficult - advanced real analysis was probably the most difficult course I ever took - but there's so much of it crammed into an impossibly short amount of time to learn it all. Med school made my 21 credits of upper level science and math look like kindergarten just for the shear volume of work.

So if you want to be mentally prepared - take a vacation and be well rested. That's the best mental preparation you can have.

Hey if you don't mind, would you let me know how its going for you? I mean first year curriculum? Has it been overwhelming at any point yet? And how would you compare it to a full time undergrad schedule...same or harder? Thanks! I start in a few months and I want to be mentally prepared.

I think ShyRem has it exactly right: you can't be mentally prepared. Not only is it impossible to imagine what med school is like until you actually do it, but people's reactions to the experience are very different: what's easy for one person may be hard for someone else. For example, I had a very hard time with anatomy, but did fine in biochem, a course that a lot of other students found extremely difficult. And you may very well find--as I did--that your predictions about what you will like and dislike, find hard or easy, etc. will be way off the mark. So just relax and don't worry about it until the time comes.

Having said all this, I'd add that while med school is extremely hard, it's work I really want to be doing, so I'm very happy to be here. I think that's the key: if medicine is what moves you more than anything else, you'll learn how to take the work in stride.

Good luck and have fun.

You can't be mentally prepared.

I'll go ahead and reinforce what Shy and student are saying. You can't really prepare, you just have to go through it. The first couple of months are tough, emotionally, because you're kind of wading through different strategies to handle the volume and some of them aren't going to work. You'll wax from feeling ok to feeling like you're drowning on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis.

But the vast majority of students settle down into routines that work and become more efficient. Plus, just from practice you learn to plow through material at a pace you'd probably never thought you were capable of (especially the few weeks coming up to exams). You'll suffer from little mini-spells of burn-out but overall by the 2nd half the year - you'll actually have a surprising amount of free time. Some people accomplish this by making peace with not having to H or HP everything so they can actually pursue other things. Some people learn to be extremely efficient. Some people are just machines and can study anal retentively for hour after hour, day after day. By Christmas break most people have settled into their own way of doing things.

I'll 32 this year.