Anyone else put on the alternate list at LECOM-Bradenton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmrose

Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a letter today stating the not-so-joyful news. I'm pretty sure it's due to my low pcat score from october. Since then, I retook it and am anxiously waiting for the january scores to come in. I'm just wondering if anyone else is placed on the list? Have anyone heard back since being on the list, etc.? Exactly how often do those on the alternate list get in?

Members don't see this ad.

I received a letter today stating the not-so-joyful news. I'm pretty sure it's due to my low pcat score from october. Since then, I retook it and am anxiously waiting for the january scores to come in. I'm just wondering if anyone else is placed on the list? Have anyone heard back since being on the list, etc.? Exactly how often do those on the alternate list get in?

I am sorry about the bad news. Please someone correct me. If someone is granted an interview, isn't it because the admissions committee upon analyzing the application liked what they saw? For example, if the adcom does not like the PCAT score, do u think they would still grant interview? My impression is, if someone is granted interview, there must have been something the adcom liked originally in the first place.

Ok, someone might have to explain a low PCAT score but to be put on wait list to me does not make sense. If a school is on a rolling admissions, that means other applicants with good stats will most likely be admitted. But then, what's the point of the interview? So I say then, there must have been something else other than the low PCAT that did you in. Again sorry for your pain. :mad:

I may be in the same situation soon. I interview @ Bradenton in two weeks.

I know someone who got in with a pretty low pcat score, so it might not be that. From what I understand they could want you but because it is rolling addmission they leave a few spots open being they interview till may. So the more people that cancel their interviews or do not accept going to the school the better your chances are. The dean told me that they let people in all the way till the week before classes start. Don't fret yet. It isn't over till the rejection letter comes. goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed they did say they take a lot of people from their alternative list, and to not freak out about it. They also said they had accepted about 50 students already, but that so far only 23-24 had sent their deposits. This is out of 100 seats available for fall 08 so there's a good chance you get a call, just try to get as many As as you can.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong in the earlier statement I made in this thread. A bit confused.

"Please someone correct me if I'm wrong in the earlier statement I made in this thread. A bit confused. "

what do ou mean newrx

"Please someone correct me if I'm wrong in the earlier statement I made in this thread. A bit confused. "

what do ou mean newrx

See post #2

When I interviewed they did say they take a lot of people from their alternative list, and to not freak out about it. They also said they had accepted about 50 students already, but that so far only 23-24 had sent their deposits. This is out of 100 seats available for fall 08 so there's a good chance you get a call, just try to get as many As as you can.

Thanks. I'm actually amazed that they even granted me an interview for the low, low, low score...my gpa is pretty good (3.81 overall, 4.0 science). So I don't think that's hurting me. That's why I KNOW for certain why I didn't get accepted. IMO, I wouldn't accept myself if it was based on that Oct. score. It's below a 50...

Anyways, I'm still interested in seeing who else is put on this list? I have little to no information on how this works :confused:

Thanks. I'm actually amazed that they even granted me an interview for the low, low, low score...my gpa is pretty good (3.81 overall, 4.0 science). So I don't think that's hurting me. That's why I KNOW for certain why I didn't get accepted. IMO, I wouldn't accept myself if it was based on that Oct. score. It's below a 50...

Anyways, I'm still interested in seeing who else is put on this list? I have little to no information on how this works :confused:

Still, what I don't understand is how does one get an interview if they already knew your pcat score was below a 50. My point is they had to have liked what they read saw to offset that score and yes, given the competition such a low score is unacceptable. I wonder who decides interviews? If it adcom, they'd at leas already saw your record.

Still, what I don't understand is how does one get an interview if they already knew your pcat score was below a 50. My point is they had to have liked what they read saw to offset that score and yes, given the competition such a low score is unacceptable. I wonder who decides interviews? If it adcom, they'd at leas already saw your record.
I think the only people who can really answer that question for you is the admissions committee or the dean of pharmacy. However, I applied to Nova and I know their admissions committee picks out who will be interviewed. I also know their admissions committee makes recommendations on those candidates as to who is admitted. However, the Dean of Pharmacy makes all final decisions and he can and sometimes does go against the recommendation of the admissions committee. I realize this may not occur at LECOM, but it is one example how your credentials can get you interviewed, but those same credentials can get you waitlisted/denied.

I think that if the rest of the application looks good, they will allow you the January Pcat to make up for the poor score in October. So they see that pharmrose received low scores but her GPA was excellent. So it seems that they gave her the benefit of the doubt and granted her an interview. Obviously, the interview went well enough because if it did not, she would not even be considered for the alternate list. They would've straight up rejected her. If only we knew someone on the admissions committee who could provide us with some straight answers. :confused:

Keep your head up pharmrose! The alternate list is much better than being rejected. Also, as they say at the interview, YOU'RE STILL IN THE GAME!!! :D

I think the only people who can really answer that question for you is the admissions committee or the dean of pharmacy. However, I applied to Nova and I know their admissions committee picks out who will be interviewed. I also know their admissions committee makes recommendations on those candidates as to who is admitted. However, the Dean of Pharmacy makes all final decisions and he can and sometimes does go against the recommendation of the admissions committee. I realize this may not occur at LECOM, but it is one example how your credentials can get you interviewed, but those same credentials can get you waitlisted/denied.

FLPharm2Be and JGO, thank you so much for your eloquent responses. I was always at a lost as to how the process works. Now I guess I know that sometimes the Dean does not see an application until he actually has to sign them. When I was @ PBA interview, after the introduction and on my way to my faculty interview, I noticed the Dean looking at some papers intently in his office. He may have been signing acceptance/rejection letters for those interviewed earlier. :cool::eek:

What I like about LECOM-Bradenton is that they work very efficiently. They really don't leave you hanging like the majority of the schools that I have applied to. I was interviewed on the 31st of January and in one week I got the hold letter. 60 days of wait. I assume it's because I retook the PCAT in January and I won't be receiving my scores until early March. :scared:
I have another interview next week so I am going to put my LECOM anxiety to rest. Good luck everyone!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 11/15, got the 60 day hold sometime last week of november, haven't heard a peep since. They're a couple weeks overdue on the "you will hear from us within 60 days"

Its too bad you don't go to UCF, they just had Dr. Levin come by and answer questions for their applicants. Do you go to CC?

Yhea, that's a bit over due. Did you called them to let them know that it's past 60 days?

I think this might be the busiest time of the year for them, since their deadline is approaching. I've been trying to contact them for the past week and a half and had no luck so far.

I went to Manatee CC, at USF now though. I haven't tried calling yet.

just received an e-mail from Lecom Bradenton and they put me on the alternate list ....well its 1000 times better than a striaght up rejection... so i will take that...moving slowly but steadily and still in the game...

hey fenil
i got a letting saying i was put on alternate list. you received an email?
i didnt... wonder why...

rxchrissarasota, fenil2005, pharmgrl08,
sorry to hear that you guys are in the same boat as me...isn't waiting around just torture? Well, at least it's not a rejection. Keep hope alive!

NewRx, did you get any word on your status?

Anyways, just an update. I received the Jan. scores, and I am extremely delighted with the results (comp: 90). However, pharmcas haven't received it yet. I hope it updates soon. Now I'm hoping to get an interview at UF and an acceptance from LECOM.

I just talked to Jacqueline. She said the adcoms have decided to wait to review all of the holds until march, or maybe even april.

You know, I hope an adcom doesn't read this and it comes back to bite me, but, seriously, what has been stressed to all of us by every school over and over and over again? Professionalism. Courtesy. Honesty. Shouldn't they hold themselves to the same standards? I know they are busy, I don't envy them for all the work they go through in this process, but they knew they would be busy when they told us what to expect. I feel bad for the poor ladies in the admissions offices who answer calls and emails all day because the adcoms drag the process out. If they can't follow through on their own timeframe, tell us. It would take, what, maybe five minutes to type up a mass email to say, "hey, we changed our minds, you won't hear from us for another 2 months, sorry, don't worry, try and get some sleep" At least Mercer sends me an email every few weeks saying I'm still being considered, hang in there.

I just talked to Jacqueline. She said the adcoms have decided to wait to review all of the holds until march, or maybe even april.

March or April? Way to take their time...Thanks for the info, rxchrissarasota. I'm going to take this with a grain of salt and start to relax. There's not much to do now but wait. PharmCAS just received my scores! =)

yeah, so much for the "60 days" that they stated in the hold letter that was sent to us. it sure is aggravating, but i guess there isnt much that we can do now... we just have to wait and see.

Pharmrose - send your PCAT scores directly to Ms. Grosser. At the interview they said that it could take 5 weeks for PHarmCAS to send updated information. Let her know you were on the alternate list. Chances are, they interviewed you even with a low PCAT because your grades indicated you could be successfull and they wanted to assess you in person. It's possible you were still put as an alternate because of the low PCATs in that there are other candidates who have a stronger overall application (pcats, grades, interview). THerefore, if your PCATs have improved greatly, it might help you to change the status from alternate to accept.

They told us at the interview that they are expecting alternates to be accepted (although there is no guarantee)

Pharmrose - send your PCAT scores directly to Ms. Grosser. At the interview they said that it could take 5 weeks for PHarmCAS to send updated information. Let her know you were on the alternate list. Chances are, they interviewed you even with a low PCAT because your grades indicated you could be successfull and they wanted to assess you in person. It's possible you were still put as an alternate because of the low PCATs in that there are other candidates who have a stronger overall application (pcats, grades, interview). THerefore, if your PCATs have improved greatly, it might help you to change the status from alternate to accept.

They told us at the interview that they are expecting alternates to be accepted (although there is no guarantee)

thanks, adsa! I checked pharmcas, and they sent the pcat scores out to my schools...on the school destinations page, it stated that it was "revised" on 3/3/08. Do you think I should still send out my scores directly to LECOM? If so, do I order a transcript sent out to them or just email them the scores? Or is that kind of repetitive?
Thanks again for the helpful insight!

Edited:
I emailed Ms. Grosser 30 minutes ago, asking her if I should send an official PCAT transcript. She just replied =) just another reason why I'd like to go there. Anyways, they have received the scores from pharmcas. She doesn't know the exact date the adcom will review the alternate list, but they will.

Does anyone know if they use the ranking system on those on the alternate list?