Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

anyone else without an interview invitation yet?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by amiga, Nov 29, 2005.

1. I have completed my application almost 2 months ago, but have not heard anything from the schools except for UPenn's deferred interview decision. I have a 39Q in MCAT, 3.75 undergraduate GPA, 3.9 graduate GPA. The only thing I do not have is a green card.
    I think I am finally losing it. Is there anything I could do to improve my chance?
    :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Maurizio

Maurizio Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    what is your citizenship and where did you do your undergrad and grad work?

4. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most schools do NOT take international students only a very few select do so...that could be part of the problem.

5. I did my undergrad work outside US, but I will get a PhD from a prestigous program in the US.

6. .edu-MD

.edu-MD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is your PhD in? Which schools did you apply to? Were you an August MCATer? We need more info than just numbers to be able to offer any advice.

Why do you want to go into medicine? Do you know what you're in for (any clinical and volunteer experiences)? Where do you see yourself professionally in 10 years? Those have been the themes during my interviews.

7. I am getting a PhD in Molecular Biology. I took MCAT last April, and only applied to Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein, Cornell, UPenn, and Northwestern. Most other schools would not consider people with a college degree outside of US or Canada .

:(

8. Maurizio

Maurizio Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I think Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein and Cornell also require your undergrad degree to be from a US or Canadian school. I could be wrong but it when talking to admissions people at most US schools it seems that this is a requirement (even if its not officially stated), but this is just my impression.

9. Maurizio

Maurizio Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Also, what is your citizenship. It seems that US schools treat Canadian and UK citizens different than other international students.

10. .edu-MD

.edu-MD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In my experience, most schools treat all non-US citizens/PRs the same. That is, they will not accept applications from any non-US citizen/PR. I'm aware of one school that claims to treat Canadian citizens as out-of-state applicants. And there are probably a couple that allow applications from Canadian citizens only (aside from US citizens/PRs of course). But these days, almost all of them want all four years of tuition up front in an escrow account.

But to the OP, do you have a convincing reason for wanting to go to med school and experiences to back it up? That could be one thing holding your file back...

11. Maurizio

Maurizio Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Actally, most of the (private) schools I've contacted seem to welcome Canadian applications, and only a small number require all four years to be paid up front (although some require 2 years tuition). When considering every school in the country you may be correct, I don't know, but most of the schools I've looked at (New York area) seem to be very encouraging to Canadians. Regardless, with respect to the OP, I would agree with amk25a. Your numbers are very good, and a Ph.D. can only help you. Maybe there is something in your personnal statement or your ECs that's holding you back.

12. .edu-MD

.edu-MD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's a good point, public vs. private. I was including the greater universe of public and private schools about as far west as say Minnesota. Certainly within the private realm many will accept Canadian applicants. But few public schools do. I don't know much about the west third of the US. Also, I've noticed that some schools change their policy year-to-year, even on a "rolling" basis. I had a rejection as a Canadian that stated something to the effect of "we can't accept any international applicants this year due to the large number of applications we are receiving this cycle."

13. Maurizio

Maurizio Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I checked out your profile on mdapplicants, congrats on the acceptance. Have you heard from any other schools. Since you are a successful Canadian applying to US schools, is there any advice you can give to the rest of us Canadians trying to make it into american medical schools.