Anyone fail Step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Evil1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had heard of someone they know who failed Step 2 CS?

Are there any automatic fails like if you forget to wash your hands etc?

I'm about to schedule the exam and wondering if I should study at all.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i've heard rumblings from around the country that the fail rate is a little higher than they anticipated. most of it seems to be in the "professionalism" category. i've also heard that it is taking an ungodly amount of time to get scores back.

I had the exact same question and was about to start the same thread. So far out of my classmates who've taken the test and gotten results back everyone has passed. But it's not that many people in my class. Does anyone know or heard of anyone failing this year? If so what did they do or not do they made them fail?

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP

What are the catagories that they grade on...what are most people failing on?

Check out my reply on my own post. I failed and yeah I am an american grad. I discussed it. Feel horrible about it considering I don't know of anyone else who failed. I guess asking one more thing or one less thing makes a huge difference.

Most common component I have read about people failing in is the "Interpersonal Skills," in other words, the professionalism. Lots of variables in this category. Remember, each component is graded by the standardized patient themselves.

we've already had 4 people fail in our class (top 50 state med school) according to an email sent out by the school administration

some of the automatic "fail" that I have heard of are:
1. Not washing hands before you examine the patient and
2. Auscultating over patients clothing... for example we have all auscultated a patients lungs ontop of their shirts or whatever.. DO NOT do this on the standarized patient.. ask them to loosen their gown and place the stethoscope DIRECTLY on the patients skin.

surg2005 said:
some of the automatic "fail" that I have heard of are:
1. Not washing hands before you examine the patient and
2. Auscultating over patients clothing... for example we have all auscultated a patients lungs ontop of their shirts or whatever.. DO NOT do this on the standarized patient.. ask them to loosen their gown and place the stethoscope DIRECTLY on the patients skin.

oh man now i am freaking out about this stupid test! I just took it yesterday, and I definitely forgot to wash my hands in my first patient encounter, and also forgot to remove the gown once later because i was rushing...so now am i doomed???

posternutbag said:
oh man now i am freaking out about this stupid test! I just took it yesterday, and I definitely forgot to wash my hands in my first patient encounter, and also forgot to remove the gown once later because i was rushing...so now am i doomed???

You are not doomed. I forgot to wash on my 1st encounter. I passed.

i forgot to wash my hands on the first 2 patients and also managed to forget to pull out the "leg tray" on the examining table when asking the patient to lie down... but i passed... i think it is very subjective between standardized patients as some patients even asked if they (med students) were going to wash their hands at some point or else they would have to mark it down that they forgot... my patients didn't say anything... the test is utter BS...