Anyone find WS difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

naixin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I just cannot think of what factors can decide whether the situation apply or not. Also I'm lacking of examples. How to build the database of examples?

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes I just cannot think of what factors can decide whether the situation apply or not. Also I'm lacking of examples. How to build the database of examples?

Think of some recent happenings in the media this summer. Were there any major strikes you could think of? Was any major political figure killed? Were there any really interesting political clashes that involved Twitter?

What types of products do you have around you as you are surfing? Do you have a Dell laptop, or an iPad 2? Do you have a Blackberry, or a smartphone by HTC? Who is your cell phone service provider? What's the story with that company?

Do you have any hobbies like painting or playing the violin? Are there any really weird laws that you are familiar with?

You can start your database of examples by first finding examples that are recent and that are familiar to you. Then you build from there. Once you get enough practice, and if a familiar prompt shows up, it is not difficult to achieve an R or S. A T will take a little more work and you will have to make your essay more layered and complex, but with enough training and practice, a T is feasible (but it also depends on luck).

i found using actual examples really hard bc i couldn't think of many. eventually i just started making all of mine up. on my MCAT last year all 4 of my examples were make-believe and i scored an R. if u have enough time i'd recommend trying to get good at that.

Screw examples. They're just taking up mental time/space and you don't even need them. You're old enough to have some on the top of your head, and if not, then you can just think of hypotheticals. The examples don't matter. It's how you support/flesh out what you say in relation to the prompt. My advice would just be to think of hypotheticals. If you're a good writer you will get a good score regardless. And vice versa...

Members don't see this ad :)
A good source of examples is from the media, read the news whenever you have free time. But having a lot of examples is not the important part. What is important is making those examples fit the topic and they don't necessarily have to fit to start out with. Use support and find a way to make the examples fit. Thats what I did and I got an R on writing. Good luck.

I also find the WS difficult - but not for lack of examples. My perfectionist tendancies kick into overdrive when it comes to essays. When I get a prompt in class, I'll brainstorm for days and days, and write and rewrite my outline, before painstakingly typing/writing out a sentence. (It's a good thing I don't have to do essays very often.) I stunk at timed essays in high school, and I haven't had to do them since. I've been practicing them during the full lengths... but I keep freezing up and spinning my mental wheels. What results is more a brief discussion on the topic than a real essay.

Screw examples. They're just taking up mental time/space and you don't even need them. You're old enough to have some on the top of your head, and if not, then you can just think of hypotheticals. The examples don't matter. It's how you support/flesh out what you say in relation to the prompt. My advice would just be to think of hypotheticals. If you're a good writer you will get a good score regardless. And vice versa...

agreed. MCAT doesn't require real world examples, so you can make up a reasonable example that fits the situation. There's no need to go out of your way to build a database of examples.

ya.. make up reasonable examples...

you can even make up your own data to support the argument... (what I did and i got Q)