anyone from MI? need advice!!!

Started by jregan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jregan

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any one out there from Mi that knows the procedure for becoming a certified Pharmacy tech? I am taking my pre-reqs and really want to go to WSU! At the info meeting I attended at WSU they stressed the importance of volunteer work and pharmacy experince, but it seems like you need to be a tech to get hired at a pharmacy. I thought you had to take like a year long course to be a tech, but then I heard that you could just take a test. I would appreciate any advice! Thanks
 
You don't need to become a certified technician to gain pharmacy experience. The best time to job search is in the fall. I simply made a list of all the chain pharmacies in my area, got dressed up, and took my resume to all of them (even though I had no pharmacy experience) With every pharmacist I talked to, I was encouraged to fill out an application or was told what store in the area they thought needed additional help. It just takes persistance. I went to about 20 stores, got one interview and was hired 2 weeks later. I started as a pharmacy service associate; counting pills, running register, cleaning the pharmacy, etc. But I've been there 2 years now, and all the while they trained me to be a technician, offered to pay for me to take the national certification exam ($120), and now that Ive been accepted to a pharm school are teaching me alot about the different drugs. If you really have your heart set on becoming certified, I would suggest getting some experiece first, the test will be much easier that way.
 
Gilmore2B said:
You don't need to become a certified technician to gain pharmacy experience. The best time to job search is in the fall. I simply made a list of all the chain pharmacies in my area, got dressed up, and took my resume to all of them (even though I had no pharmacy experience) With every pharmacist I talked to, I was encouraged to fill out an application or was told what store in the area they thought needed additional help. It just takes persistance. I went to about 20 stores, got one interview and was hired 2 weeks later. I started as a pharmacy service associate; counting pills, running register, cleaning the pharmacy, etc. But I've been there 2 years now, and all the while they trained me to be a technician, offered to pay for me to take the national certification exam ($120), and now that Ive been accepted to a pharm school are teaching me alot about the different drugs. If you really have your heart set on becoming certified, I would suggest getting some experiece first, the test will be much easier that way.


Thank you so much for this info! I am in Michigan and just starting class and this is something I have been wondering about.