bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
I'm applying for the Early Decision Program for TUCOM this year, and I have some questions about TUCOM and about the Early Decision Program and if anyone got into TUCOM through that program or knows anything about it. I have some questions about the essays too.
1. The space is very limited, so can I attach additional pages
2. I had two major difficulties in my life, and they were both very significant, so can I attach an extra sheet to my application and talk about it
3. Is it true that TUCOM is more or less a Jewish Medical School, and if yes, is it gono look bad that you were born Jewish, but you don't know much about it...
There are more questions that I have, but please let me know what you think of this Early Program and I am willing to send my status to you as well if you can help me out
Thanks

OP
B

bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
bunnybear said:
I'm applying for the Early Decision Program for TUCOM this year, and I have some questions about TUCOM and about the Early Decision Program and if anyone got into TUCOM through that program or knows anything about it. I have some questions about the essays too.
2. I had two major difficulties in my life, and they were both very significant, so can I attach an extra sheet to my application and talk about it
3. Is it true that TUCOM is more or less a Jewish Medical School, and if yes, is it gono look bad that you were born Jewish, but you don't know much about it...
There are more questions that I have, but please let me know what you think of this Early Program and I am willing to send my status to you as well if you can help me out
Thanks
Any suggestions???

BluesClues32

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
bunnybear said:
Any suggestions???
I'm just starting at TUCOM-MI on Wednesday, so I can't say anything about the program yet. When applying, I wrote all my essays on a separate piece of paper, but I recall not exceeding the line limit. I don't think you will be penalized for writing more, but I wouldn't exceed the limit too much. Each school purposely decides on an essay length, so you don't want to anger them by including lots of extra info. Instead, save some of your experiences for your interview, you might be able to incorporate them then. If you are offered an interview (which I assume you will be offered one since you have already received a secondary and you are ambitious enough to apply early), then make sure you practice for it. Some people find the group interview difficult/stressful.

In terms of Touro being a Jewish medical school...I wouldnt worry about your beliefs. I was never asked about my religion before or after my interview (I'm Catholic). I've met several of my classmates and I haven't met anyone who is Jewish yet. I'm sure we have many Jewish students, and I have met several great Jewish faculty members. Regardless, I wouldn't draw attention to your religious beliefs, I would instead focus on how you are the perfect applicant!

About the Ads
OP
B

bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
BluesClues32 said:
I'm just starting at TUCOM-MI on Wednesday, so I can't say anything about the program yet. When applying, I wrote all my essays on a separate piece of paper, but I recall not exceeding the line limit. I don't think you will be penalized for writing more, but I wouldn't exceed the limit too much. Each school purposely decides on an essay length, so you don't want to anger them by including lots of extra info. Instead, save some of your experiences for your interview, you might be able to incorporate them then. If you are offered an interview (which I assume you will be offered one since you have already received a secondary and you are ambitious enough to apply early), then make sure you practice for it. Some people find the group interview difficult/stressful.

In terms of Touro being a Jewish medical school...I wouldnt worry about your beliefs. I was never asked about my religion before or after my interview (I'm Catholic). I've met several of my classmates and I haven't met anyone who is Jewish yet. I'm sure we have many Jewish students, and I have met several great Jewish faculty members. Regardless, I wouldn't draw attention to your religious beliefs, I would instead focus on how you are the perfect applicant!
Thanks a lot. Anymore suggestions, what if my MCAT is on the lower end, but GPA is much higher, would they still consider me for an interview. Anyone??!!

tucomnvms1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
bunnybear said:
Thanks a lot. Anymore suggestions, what if my MCAT is on the lower end, but GPA is much higher, would they still consider me for an interview. Anyone??!!
Pre-meds ask these questions all the time.. "if my MCAT is this and my GPA is this will the school interview me?" It won't do any good asking us on SDN.. Just apply and find out for yourself.. I think you are looking for some positive feedback but you won't get any here, you can only get that if you apply and get interviews..

OP
B

bunnybear

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
tucomnvms1 said:
Pre-meds ask these questions all the time.. "if my MCAT is this and my GPA is this will the school interview me?" It won't do any good asking us on SDN.. Just apply and find out for yourself.. I think you are looking for some positive feedback but you won't get any here, you can only get that if you apply and get interviews..
no dude, I'm looking for suggestions to see whether I should do the early decision or not. Thanks for your input

asm028400

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2005
Status
bunnybear said:
Thanks

1. Don't go over the space by much. If you do, you risk them just skimming it and it shows that you can't follow directions.
2. Figure out how to either fit both of these issues into the required space, or just talk about the one that affected you the most. Make sure to tie these issues into your overall theme of wanting to be a doctor though. Stick to that theme.
3. No one seemed to care about religious affiliation at my interview. The interview is for assessing a. how good of a doctor you have the potential to become and b. how well you would fit into the school, they don't care about how religious/not religious you are, there are great doctors of all religious backgrounds. They want to know if you can succeed as a medical student.

As for the MCAT/GPA issue, I have heard that unless both of these scores are above their averages, it is generally better to apply in the normal cycle. The reason being is that the school doesn't know how strong the incoming application pool will be, so they don't want to accept someone in advance unless their stats are impressive, b/c they may get a very strong applicant pool and want to be able to select from the best. The best thing to do is make sure to APPLY EARLY!!!! This dramatically increases your chance of acceptance. Good luck! :)

TUCOM_CA_2009

10+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2006
Status
Medical Student
bunnybear said:
I'm a 2nd year at TUCOM-CA and when I was applying I had the same question. My GPA was awesome while my MCAT wasn't that hot. I received 7 interviews and was accepted to 2 schools and received waiting list offers at the remaining schools. I also waited to the last minute to apply b/c I thought my MCAT score sucked...which it did...bad...so i could have been accepted at more schools if I didn't wait so long. Anyways, just write a strong essay, be yourself at the interview, and don't sweat about your score. Your GPA gives them an idea on how you do over the long run while the MCAT is just a snapshot in time.

As for it being a Jewish school, I'm a Christian of the Baptist persuasion and they still let me in :) They never asked me about my religous beliefs though they could probably glean through my listing of community service activities in the application what I was. This school is very open and very accepting to all beliefs. The only time you know it is a Jewish school is when the library turns off the computers at the library for the Sabbath and the food that is available through the school is Kosher. Plus all those holidays that we get off in October is great! Touro only cares about how you will be as a physician.

The application essays...I sent my essays on separate typed papers and wrote "please see attached" on the application. Write it, type it, whatever, just keep it legible.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Good Luck!

About the Ads