Anyone from UT-Southwestern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys,
I know this is a pretty new program, and I am wondering if anyone know how the shifts are, and how is the program like in general. I know parkland is a county.. thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

hello23 said:
Hey, guys,
I know this is a pretty new program, and I am wondering if anyone know how the shifts are, and how is the program like in general. I know parkland is a county.. thanks. :)

I interviewed there. 12 hour shifts. Major volume/pathology. Young dynamic faculty. Starting to build a significant EM research program - was named one of the clinical sites for the Resuscitation Outcomes (ROC) Study. Residents generally seem to be from the South / Texas. Relatively new EM program in a hospital where IM & Surg are both VERY strong (i.e. still the possibility of a bit of the "****ing ER doc" mentality about). Top-notch peds exposure (I think Children's is the busiest peds ED in the nation). Overall, I was impressed. :thumbup:

I interviewed there 2 years ago. Pretty concise summary. there is more than a little bit of screw EM secondary to the power of IM and surg. (not to mention part of the comprimise to get an EM was 2(!) IM floor months, one at the VA)

Overall, you can get good training. I personally don't love dallas as a city (hence why I didn't rank UTSW high as a med school when I went through the texas match for medical school) and while the cliched snootinessof SW doesn't extend to the faculty, it does still extend, to a degree, to the EM residents... If you are anti-gunner, just be aware there are still some there that definately are. Not to mention butting heads with residents from other departments.

I had low expectations when I went there to interview (went to make my advisor happy) and was really pleasantly surprised and ended up ranking it in my top 5 for match.

Members don't see this ad :)
EMApplicant said:
Top-notch peds exposure (I think Children's is the busiest peds ED in the nation).

Don't forget the busiest McDonald's in the nation. :)

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
Don't forget the busiest McDonald's in the nation. :)

Take care,
Jeff
Just drumming up business for the cardiology service.

Sessamoid said:
Just drumming up business for the cardiology service.

Yep, the two M's: McDonald's and Merk. :)

Take care,
Jeff

I am only an intern but I have enjoyed it so far here at UTSW. I feel that many people seem to view the strong IM and Surg programs here as a negative thing for our EM program, but I feel that it has been good to learn from and work with strong residents from the other depts. I am curious as to what everyone has heard specifically about UTSW that brings about the thought that there is a lot of the ""****ing ER doc" or "screw EM" mentality around here b/c I have felt there has been good rapport and respect among the different programs (but I still have 2.5 yrs left here to analyze it further).

I have found the residents to be laid back and supportive. Although I have been hanging out primarily with other interns, the upper levels are cool to be around. They seem to hang out a lot together and with the nurses usually after a shift at a bar or restaurant. Everybody is pretty social outside of work (more so with the single residents than those with family and kids). There have been great pictures from those social events on powerpoint slides and great stories to tell at conference. I really do not think that "snootiness" or "gunners" are accurate descriptions of the residency here. Our program has plenty of residents who work hard, but everyone has seemed friendly and really strong I am confident that I will be well trained by the time I am the senior resident.

I have enjoyed the city of Dallas. The training is obviously strong with high acuity/busy EDs at Parkland and Children's. I have made lots of friends with my fellow EM and offservice interns. There are a good number of Texans in the program, but also plenty of residents from all over (see www.utswem.com under "Meet the Residents" to see where each person is from and what colleges and med schools are represented).

Definitely feel free to PM me or post more questions about Dallas and the UTSW EM program.

-Andy

Andy-

I found a few of the seniors when I interviewed there to be very 'we are the elite and you should be lucky to be here' attitude. I found it a little odd, considering how cool and laidback the attendings all seemed. Course a lot can change in a few years. ;)

I think Dallas is a fun city to live in as well.. especially for a few years. (after ten years, very much over it)

However, I still *love* to go visit. Mai's for vietnamese, Cafe brazil for breakfast, Monica's for salsa, etc etc... and the best part of being in school near 'uptown' is its proximity to the gingerman. :D

I heard that andy guy is really snooty though, so don't trust him. :D

I had something of the same feeling when I interviewed there, even though the program was exactly one year old at the time.

I grew up in Dallas, and I am so over living there. It's better than some places, I guess, but I'm much happier where I am now. Today especially so, since I just came back from the freaking Rose Bowl! Hook'em!