Anyone from WVU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdj37

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to WVU in the fall and wanted to talk to some students there and see what the school is really like. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I am a first year, let me know what you would like to know.

Thanks for responding Frank.

What do you like and dislike about the school?

What was the first year like? Did you take Histology and do you know if you can test out of any courses?

Are you from West Virginia or did you move out there? Are you living in a house or in an apartment?

Finally, if you could go back a year and do something before you started school, what would you do?

Anyway, lots of questions. Hope to hear from you soon!

Jon

Members don't see this ad :)
I pmd you, if it did not get through, post here again

Good idea. First, the school has recently started accepting more out of state students. I believe there are 10-12 in my class of 46 that are out of state. I bring this up because not long ago it was almost all WV residents, with the occasional UTAHN. Second, the class size is great, 46 students with ample faculty equals alot of individual attention (this may change during my clinic years, but as of now, it is great). Third, we are completely redoing our clinic, and all projections indicate it will be fantastic. This is a huge plus, being that my initial hesitance to attend here over other schools was the outdated clinic. And lastly, faculty is awesome, very little if any pretention. They are very respectful toward the student body, and very easy to work with.

Now the bad. It is in West Virginia, and there is nothing anybody can do about that.

Hope that helps

I am a second year @WVU. True the clinic is getting a nice face lift, but I don't completely agree with you on the staff!!! Some you will run into are BUTTS!!! But the good thing is that you start seeing patients your 2nd year. We all have done most operative procedures and tons and tons or perio. Oral surgery is coming into play; I pulled my first 2 teeth the other day! Endo is in the playing field, but pros isn't for the new clinic issues limit the patients who come in now. They stopped new screening for a few months to slow things down, which seems to be a good plan.

WVU is one of the strongest clinic based schools that I have seen. Academia/ well not up there, but true dentistry is amazing here. I am all for that for who really wants to learn about histo/biochem/path/gross/etc...... not me for sure!!! I have many friends in other schools that after graduating don't really get trained as well as they do from WVU. Reason being, they know here you have a good chance of practicing in rural areas so referrals are not available a lot of times. But again that?s why I like it here; you get a strong background of all the disciplines. Even orthodontics, which btw is very unfortunate, for I HATE ORTHO!!!!!!

Sorry about spelling, I am in a hurry. Look me up if you need pointers on anything.
BTW Frank, better get that cast together for Dr. 4. He has true eagle eyes on those things!

AND WV IS NOT BAD!!!! I LOVE IT HERE!!!!

what is the tuition like for out of states students?
is it expensive to live in west virginia?
thanks guys

Its all online @ hsc.wvu.edu

WV is not that bad a state to live in. Morgantown is actually a pretty good small city, but its built on a mountain so there is a lot of walking to do! The people here are great, well most are anyways. There are a few drawbacks, but all in all its a good place to live/ go to school....

Hey guys, I was wondering how many people a year specialize in the school. I have called the school several times but can't seem to get a definite answer.

Also, what do you mean by saying that WVU students get a broad range of knowledge but their training lacks so other dentists don't refer to them?

Anyway, thanks for your posts. I look forward to meeting you.

jdj37 said:
Also, what do you mean by saying that WVU students get a broad range of knowledge but their training lacks so other dentists don't refer to them?

Anyway, thanks for your posts. I look forward to meeting you.

HUH? Who said that? A WVU grad definitely does NOT lack skills!!!! I said that in some rural areas, people do not want to drive 100 miles to an oral surgeon so a referral is out of the question, so the GP had better know enough about it to do MOST of it. Most other schools that I have toured teach a basic knowledge of the specialties, whereas we go a little more in-depth into it.

Specialties. Ortho takes 3/year. I think Endo and OMFS take 1-2. Pros 1-2. That is about all I know. OMFS here at WVU is an outstanding field, but really tough to get into, same as Ortho!!!

Since you start to see patients the fall of your 2nd year, you get an even larger grasp on the clinical skills part.....

Craig, thanks for your reply. I totally misunderstood what was said. I am glad that WVU teaches so much in depth. Do you know how many of the 50 dental students apply and get accepted to specialty school?

You should probably stop worrying about the specialty thing until you are a little ways along in your dental school career. Many of your feelings about dentistry will change once you get some more experience. I'm a 3rd year at WVU, and i have to agree with Craig, some of the professors are a$$holes, but certainly not all of them. However, it's a great clinical school, and if you do your job you will be a heck of an operator, no doubt. Besides, I'm pretty sure every school has its share of profs who are unhappy and do their best to make your life suck as well. Specialization is still a long way off, but almost everyone here who wants to gets in somewhere. Frank, what's so bad about Morgantown, anyway? Golf, fishing, skiing, boating, hiking.......Some people drive hours for any one of those, we can walk to almost all of it. I for one, love it here. Let's go Mountaineers!