Anyone get into Clin Psych PhD program with a low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DollyBrains

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a GPA of about 2.8 from UC Berkeley, 3 years of research experience, was the president of a student club, taught a class.. plan to not sleep until I do well on GREs.. does anyone have a similar background? I'm wondering where people like me with a bad GPA end up. Has anyone with a low GPA gotten into a funded PhD program that wasn't in Kentucky?

Should I even bother applying to places in the top 10?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, as you know, you're definitely facing an uphill battle. You could apply to "top 10" schools (although ranking clinical psychology doctoral programs in such a way can be exceedingly difficult), but odds are, with a low GPA and without any publications or poster presentations to "make up" for it, you would not be accepted.

Definitely diversify your target schools while also keeping your "fit" with the program foremost in your mind (much more so than the name of the university). If you don't make it in this cycle, it could certainly behoove you to attend a terminal master's program and raise your GPA while gaining further research and publication/presentation experience.

Also, as much as you might not like the state of Kentucky (or any other state for that matter), keep in mind that there are very excellent programs and POIs scattered throughout the country. Limiting yourself geographically can significantly lower your chances of being accepted.

I'd also recommend taking the GRE before you can officially know anything. Even not sleeping doesn't guarantee an amazing score. There is always the option of getting a masters first and getting a better GPA to show you can handle graduate work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't apply to programs until you bring your grades up with a master's program or something. The problem is, even if you are otherwise qualified, for many programs the graduate school (rather than the psych department) requires that the students have above a 3.0, and won't allow admissions under the cutoff. Even after you do a master's program you should consider that some schools still won't look at your app. For example I read on arizona state's website that a graduate GPA will not make up for a poor undergraduate GPA and they will still consider your undergrad GPA when deciding whether or not you make the cutoff.

:)

Last edited:
Not to sideline the topic, but what are people's take with low GPA and PsyD schools?
Just as hard to get into a quality university-based Psy.D. as it is a quality university-based Ph.D. with a low GPA. In the OP's case, s/he is probably best served by going for an MS degree, because a 2.8 won't cut it.

:)

Last edited:
What sort of masters programs do you recommend? 1 year, 2 years? Just curious.

I don't know that I've heard of many (or actually any) one-year master's programs in psych. Ideally, you'd want a two-year program that would allow you to complete relevant coursework while also getting as much research experience as possible.

Did you start off bad or was that your average the whole undergraduate term? I know some programs only count the last 60 credits like U of Washington and American

I won't have a great GPA either when I apply. It'll be around 3.1, but it's mainly from my first two years I didn't care at all about school. My last 60 credits and psych GPA will be above 3.7, and that's what counts most really.

Are you already graduated? Can you back there and take more classes? What's your last 60 credit GPA and psych GPA?

Hi!
I'm in a clinical psych PhD program, that I love and that fits me very well. In the interest of full disclosure, its not a Top 10 school. Its not a bad school either.

Coming out of undergrad, I had somewhere along the lines of a 2.8 overall GPA (my undergrad is an awesome, fun school- a good school, but its easy to have fun there), and that was the only killer for me. I had 2 years of undergrad research experience, and a publication accepted (but not in print).

I went the MA route (in clinical psych). I detested my program, but that's a whole different deal. Going to that MA program allowed me to graduate with 1 pub in print, 1 accepted, a thesis (to show that I can do my own high quality work) and a chance to drastically improve my GPA. I know this greatly helped my chances. Got into a PhD program the first time around. Spent 2 years in my MA program that equated to 1 year in my PhD program. Also, I have a TON of experience from my MA that people in my PhD program dont have (strong neuropsych assesment background, etc.)

IMO nothing wrong with going that route. Just think of it as 2 years spent that equate to making yourself marketable for the next level.

Finally, I'd be very cautious/selective of where you choose to go for your MA.

Reactions: 1 user
The University of Kentucky and the Universty of Louisville are fine clinical programs...with very high acceptance criteria *(just like all clinical ph.d programs), so I dont undersand the KY comment...

There is petty much a universal cut-off of 3.0. Although the actual mean is usually 3.5-3.6 or so. I would look into Masters programs.

I wouldn't apply to programs until you bring your grades up with a master's program or something. The problem is, even if you are otherwise qualified, for many programs the graduate school (rather than the psych department) requires that the students have above a 3.0, and won't allow admissions under the cutoff. Even after you do a master's program you should consider that some schools still won't look at your app. For example I read on arizona state's website that a graduate GPA will not make up for a poor undergraduate GPA and they will still consider your undergrad GPA when deciding whether or not you make the cutoff.

I totally agree. I'm applying to clinical Ph.D. programs now, with a VERY sub-par undergrad GPA (slightly under 3.0), an excellent Master's GPA in clinical psych, 1400 GRE, very high psych GRE, multiple pubs, 2 years full-time research, a lot of clinical experience, and very strong recs, and I am definitely not making the cut at many of the programs I'm applying to (I'm getting some interviews, but other places flat-out told me I didn't make the cut). Some schools are more forgiving than others, but Mauricia is right, even with a master's it is tough, so I would definitely advise you to get the Master's and do whatever you can to get a strong GRE score. Also, consider applying to a lot of programs to up your chances. Believe me, I know how much is sucks to feel forever chained to a bad UG GPA. I think you can get into a good clinical Ph.D. program, but you'll have to make sure everything else is pretty solid. Good luck!:luck:

If anyone can help with this it would be great.

so doing great in Psychology program after some failings in law school. In fact, I've done really well. I'm good at math too. I have a 690 in the GRE Math, and a 580 in verbal. However, in law school, I was always at the bottom. Can someone explain how I get over this?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)

so doing great in Psychology program after some failings in law school. In fact, I've done really well. I'm good at math too. I have a 690 in the GRE Math, and a 580 in verbal. However, in law school, I was always at the bottom. Can someone explain how I get over this?
Thanks

I have no idea what you're asking! :confused:

Last edited:
I had a 3.7 (3.9 psych) and the University of Kentucky wouldn't even interview me!

I had a 3.7 (3.9 psych) and the University of Kentucky wouldn't even interview me!

UK is very solid, yep. I believe they're a clinical science program...? Regardless, every applicant from there whose file I've viewed (admittedly a small sample) has been quite strong.

I had a 1510 GRE and completed a 2 year MA program. My undergrad GPA was 3.2 (partied hard first two years). My MA GPA was 4.0. I applied to 20 programs (all funded), interviewed at 4, waitlisted and accepted at 1. It's a jungle out there.

I had a 1510 GRE and completed a 2 year MA program. My undergrad GPA was 3.2 (partied hard first two years). My MA GPA was 4.0. I applied to 20 programs (all funded), interviewed at 4, waitlisted and accepted at 1. It's a jungle out there.

That is a monster GRE! I'd have probably framed it.

Reactions: 1 user
It was solid...but opened doors, nothing more. I will say I wasn't a strong research match for many programs as I was a bit esoteric. One mentor stated "Why did someone as gifted as you go to a Master's program?" This is all one person's experience so take it with a grain of salt, but that 1510 only helped so much...

I have no idea what you're asking! :confused:

Ok. I am either going to a PsyD that is very expensive or a PhD program that's funded. How do admissions committee s react to bad law school grades but a 3.7 undergrad and the above GRE scores?

Ok. I am either going to a PsyD that is very expensive or a PhD program that's funded. How do admissions committee s react to bad law school grades but a 3.7 undergrad and the above GRE scores?

Why is a Master's program not an option if you don't get into a PhD program? Rather than shell out a ton of money for a degree you may or may not be able to use (see the umpteen threads about the PhD/unfunded PsyD debate), why not build your academic track record in Psychology with a Master's degree in Psychology? Just curious.

If you already have law school debt, It doesn't seem very feasible to add PsyD debt on top of that. 6 figure debt is not generally manageable on a psychologists income. You do realize that the median salaries for lawyers are still higher than for psychologists?

If you already have law school debt, It doesn't seem very feasible to add PsyD debt on top of that. 6 figure debt is not generally manageable on a psychologists income. You do realize that the median salaries for lawyers are still higher than for psychologists?

At this point in my life, I have realized that the scarcity of legal employment in addition to my hatred towards the profession would preclude me from practicing law. I have met some lawyers in my MA program that changed and are getting an MFT degree. I am about to start a PsyD now in the east coast, and I know that I will pay monthly minimum on all my school debt for the rest of my life. On the other hand, I could just get an MFT, practice for a few years, and then get a PhD later. However, I know too that as I am getting older, my will to be in school will go down and I wonder a lot how an admissions officer will look at a good undergrad GPA, a very low, just passing law school GPA, and then a good masters GPA and ask where I went wrong, despite even research experience. The important thing is that unlike law school and being a lawyer, I am not hitting a wall. You can't put a price on happiness either.

Thanks

Unless you tell the PhD program, i doubt they will ever know about your JD grades :)

Unless you tell the PhD program, i doubt they will ever know about your JD grades :)

I did get into one but unfunded. I don't want to lie about either since it is like a five year gap.

Universities require you to report grads from all academic institutions in which you've been enrolled/received credit. Failing to do so could be considered fraud. If a university admitted you and later found out that you'd knowingly concealed parts of your academic record in order to gain admission, they would almost certainly you kick you out or even revoked your degree, if it was discovered after you graduated,

Committing fraud by omission is not wise, on so many different levels.

You do realize that is true if you only went to the top law schools correct? Just Google how bad it is for lawyers and then ask yourself how lucky you are. Plus, I assume you're doing something you like.

You do realize that is true if you only went to the top law schools correct? Just Google how bad it is for lawyers and then ask yourself how lucky you are. Plus, I assume you're doing something you like.

I completely agree with you that lawyers are not doing well, but don't care to google what the media hype says. Quite honestly, If the media was reporting on the state of affairs of psychologists, they would write an article saying that all psychologists take on unpaid jobs after they graduate, live in poverty and finish with 300K in debt (this is true only for some professional school grads but not everyone obviously). That's what the media does.

I am specifically referencing the data from bls.gov, not media hype. You can check it out on bls.gov yourself and compare the two professions in terms of salary if you are interested, but it sounds like you are already in a PsyD program, which I didn't know when I wrote my initial response to you. The APA also has a salary survey for median (experienced) clinical psychologists. You can google it.

The main issue i'm trying to get across anyhow is that you don't want PsyD debt on top of JD debt because PsyD's on average (according to salary surveys) earn pretty low starting salaries of 40-60K, and some from professional schools in saturated locations take on unpaid postdocs for 1-2 years after they graduate. This is after 6 years of training. I don't know if this makes PsyD's any luckier than lawyers. Go in with your eyes open, do the research on your PsyD program (especially APA internship match rates, EPPP rates and licensure rates, talk to alumni about the job market). I don't know about which program you are starting (there are good PsyD programs on the east coast like Rutgers and Yeshiva, but also some pretty bad 4th tier ones). Basically, you don't want to end up with the same situation you had in law school, but double the debt.

Last edited:
At this point in my life, I have realized that the scarcity of legal employment in addition to my hatred towards the profession would preclude me from practicing law. I have met some lawyers in my MA program that changed and are getting an MFT degree. .

It is quite ironic that lawyers are switching to MFT careers as a panacea! 80-90% of the recent MFT graduates that I know in CA (I belong to several therapists associations out here) are completing 2 years of unpaid full-time internships after they graduate (this is after 3 years of FT school). I was told by each one of them that this is the norm in CA and some are taking side jobs in childcare to pay the bills. Again, you should do your own research and check out other states, but things are not rosy in many parts of the MH field these days. Also, the last time I checked the median for MFT's (not starting salary) is 45K. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211013.htm

Even though law is not a good profession these days, the median is 113K, so 50% earn less and 50% more than this. It is still almost 3 times the salary of MFT's, unless all the data online is completely wrong. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes231011.htm. Obviously, law is not for you, but I would encourage you to at least check out funded PhD programs in counseling/clinical psychology vs. unfunded PsyD or MFT programs.

Last edited:
I now if I drop out of the PsyD, there is no job.
I know if I keep the MFT, it will then lead to credit problems as I can't afford to pay law school debt, let alone the other debts, with working for free.
I can't imagine retaking the GREs and trying again and not getting into a funded program next year and having bad credit.
Cutting school short next year has extreme consequences on my behalf. Since I will likely never be able to pay the law debt back, I don't understand why adding to the debt is that big of a worry since I will at least have a higher chance of employment with the PsyD than the Masters.

I completely agree with you that lawyers are not doing well, but don't care to google what the media hype says. Quite honestly, If the media was reporting on the state of affairs of psychologists, they would write an article saying that all psychologists take on unpaid jobs after they graduate, live in poverty and finish with 300K in debt (this is true only for some professional school grads but not everyone obviously). That's what the media does.

I am specifically referencing the data from bls.gov, not media hype. You can check it out on bls.gov yourself and compare the two professions in terms of salary if you are interested, but it sounds like you are already in a PsyD program, which I didn't know when I wrote my initial response to you. The APA also has a salary survey for median (experienced) clinical psychologists. You can google it.

The main issue i'm trying to get across anyhow is that you don't want PsyD debt on top of JD debt because PsyD's on average (according to salary surveys) earn pretty low starting salaries of 40-60K, and some from professional schools in saturated locations take on unpaid postdocs for 1-2 years after they graduate. This is after 6 years of training. I don't know if this makes PsyD's any luckier than lawyers. Go in with your eyes open, do the research on your PsyD program (especially APA internship match rates, EPPP rates and licensure rates, talk to alumni about the job market). I don't know about which program you are starting (there are good PsyD programs on the east coast like Rutgers and Yeshiva, but also some pretty bad 4th tier ones). Basically, you don't want to end up with the same situation you had in law school, but double the debt.

I know if I keep the MFT, it will then lead to credit problems as I can't afford to pay law school debt, let alone the other debts, with working for free.
I can't imagine retaking the GREs and trying again and not getting into a funded program next year and having bad credit.
Cutting school short next year has extreme consequences on my behalf. Since I will likely never be able to pay the law debt back, I don't understand why adding to the debt is that big of a worry since I will at least have a higher chance of employment with the PsyD than the Masters.

There are a few flaws here.

More debt is not better than less debt.

Also: you will not necessarily be more employable with a PsyD than you will a Master's degree; on the contrary, with the current Match/Internship issues, unless you're going to one of the better PsyD programs, it is entirely possible you will finish your coursework in 4-5 years, be unable to get an internship, and have that debt and nothing to show for it.

There are other Master's degrees besides an MFT which will put you in the position of being marketable (MS with the appropriate clinical practicum, MSW).

I do know of one person who is a PhD candidate at the lab I am an RA at that says she had a fairly low GPA (and this is a top research university). She had a lot of research experience and a good GRE.. But it is a serious risk, and a lot of schools are likely to throw out your app simply because of cut offs.

I do know of one person who is a PhD candidate at the lab I am an RA at that says she had a fairly low GPA (and this is a top research university). She had a lot of research experience and a good GRE.. But it is a serious risk, and a lot of schools are likely to throw out your app simply because of cut offs.

Certainly possible, yep, assuming you make it past any department- or university-wide minimum standards.

That being said, at a top research university, "fairly low GPA" may be quite relative...lots of folks in such programs might consider a 3.5 or 3.6 to be "low," for example, particularly relative to other students there.

Certainly possible, yep, assuming you make it past any department- or university-wide minimum standards.

That being said, at a top research university, "fairly low GPA" may be quite relative...lots of folks in such programs might consider a 3.5 or 3.6 to be "low," for example, particularly relative to other students there.

Normally I think you're right; people would say 3.5 or 3.6 would be "low" for this school, but my GPA is right around there, and I was bringing it up to her as a possible detriment and she told me hers was "quite a bit lower." I'm sure she is the exception to the rule though, and I think she had long talks with the PI and a good match of interests...

EDIT: Let me clarify too.. When I say a "top research school" I mean a big public research school that is well respected. Not Harvard or anything like that haha.

Last edited:

It depends on the PsyD. 3rd/4th tier PsyD graduates are not better off than MA graduates. It sorta like law school in that 3rd/4th tier doesn't generally lead to anything valuable. The difference is that the weed out in psychology happens later than a JD program--not generally in the first year or two, but after you've finished coursework or gotten your degree. You may not get an internship or postdoc or you may not be able to pass the EPPP multiple times and fail to get licensed.

Perhaps you are right in that there will be no job, especially if the PsyD is not accredited. But there is something that has changed. I can stand the psych field better. I really hope Obama care provides for more funding for mental health.

With regards to the EPPP, states have high passage rated compared to the Bar. One day. All multiple choice. Maybe I will have lost my marbles by then, but I detest the legal field. It is a matter of what I can tolerate.

There are a few flaws here.

More debt is not better than less debt.

Also: you will not necessarily be more employable with a PsyD than you will a Master's degree; on the contrary, with the current Match/Internship issues, unless you're going to one of the better PsyD programs, it is entirely possible you will finish your coursework in 4-5 years, be unable to get an internship, and have that debt and nothing to show for it.

There are other Master's degrees besides an MFT which will put you in the position of being marketable (MS with the appropriate clinical practicum, MSW).

Last edited:
Perhaps you are right in that there will be no job, especially if the PsyD is not accredited. But there is something that has changed. I can stand the psych field better. I really hope Obama care provides for more funding for mental health.

With regards to the EPPP, states have high passage rated compared to the Bar. One day. All multiple choice.

EPPP is not one of the difficult aspects of psychology. There are many other hoops you will have to get through. Getting an accredited internship these days and going through the match process is a blood bath, especially if you aren't coming from a reputable PsyD program. The job market and postdoc market is also very competitive if you aren't geographically flexible, and in particular if the program is not well-respected. People from lower tier programs are taking unpaid and barely paid postdocs to get hours for licensure (17-20K stipend after they graduate). And then there are very high attrition rates if you attend a professional PsyD program. I think only the top 5-10% do well from these programs if you count attrition. I am not even talking about unaccredited PsyD's. I don't even know if they get licensed, at least I haven't met any who are licensed in my state from an unaccredited PsyD.

So you are basically saying to me to move to an accredited PsyD, or a PhD, if I really want it and move forward. I am not willing to move any more.

I know someone from an unaccredited school that practices in AZ with a license from a Chicago in LA. They do pass. You're right about internship matches though.

I am thinking of going a term and dropping out of the PsyD.

So you are basically saying to me to move to an accredited PsyD, or a PhD, if I really want it and move forward. I am not willing to move any more.

I know someone from an unaccredited school that practices in AZ with a license from a Chicago in LA. They do pass. You're right about internship matches though.

And you never answered how to explain law school? Will a top tier school negatively on it? What's the answer?

And you never answered how to explain law school? Will a top tier school negatively on it? What's the answer?

It's probably just going to depend on each individual program; it's not a common enough situation that there's going to be a universal (or even generally-accepted/encountered) answer. A huge part will probably depend on how you frame your statement of purpose.

Did you research what the alumni are doing from this PsyD program? Are they getting accredited internships? Are they paid? What is the average stipend? Percentage who are licensed? Unlike law schools, psychology programs don't keep statistics on salary and where their students end up typically so you have to do the research yourself. There are many low tier programs where the average debt is about 200K and 95% of the students aren't getting accredited internships, and many are ending up with unpaid postdocs and majority do not get licensed. The person you know who got licensed is just an N=1. There is no regulation at all in our field and programs are not held accountable for handing out useless degrees.

Well, if I follow the route of you suggest, and don't go, I won't have a job except to wait and get the MFT and practice. Otherwise, I am no longer in a position to practice law. I often wonder too if I would be able to TA as a psych student in a grad program as well. I just don't have the same tolerance for taking a full load and working and that is why the MFT appealed to me. However, that has real limited prospects career wise.

Maybe finishing the Masters might be a good idea, but doing research on the side too is going to be tough to do . It will just be sad to graduate and apply to funded programs with the chance of being rejected and getting only into non funded programs. This period of uncertainty will start the loans of law school to he due, and that can really hurt me financially.

Well, if I follow the route of you suggest, and don't go, I won't have a job except to wait and get the MFT and practice. Otherwise, I am no longer in a position to practice law. I often wonder too if I would be able to TA as a psych student in a grad program as well. I just don't have the same tolerance for taking a full load and working and that is why the MFT appealed to me. However, that has real limited prospects career wise.

Maybe finishing the Masters might be a good idea, but doing research on the side too is going to be tough to do . It will just be sad to graduate and apply to funded programs with the chance of being rejected and getting only into non funded programs. This period of uncertainty will start the loans of law school to he due, and that can really hurt me financially.

If the choice is between a low tier/unaccredited PsyD without funding vs MA degree that can lead to licensure, then the master's is generally always a better option. You will graduate and get to work at least 3 years sooner and tuition is lower. People from lower tier PsyD programs don't seem to do better financially than the MA level folks and take out sig. more in loans. MA programs are also more forgiving of lower GPA's and are way, way easier to get into than a reputable doctoral program with funding. The third tier thing clearly didn't work for law school so why do the same thing again?

Last edited:
I always thought that if I become licensed as an MFT, that will take 3 more years to do the hours and there are less paid internships for that. At least with a doctorate degree, you have a higher placement rate into a paid position and the hours required are less for licensure. I can forget about getting paid for going to law school. I will not practice it for the next ten years.

Any more suggestions on MA or PHD programs that look at last 2 years as opposed to cgpa?

I always thought that if I become licensed as an MFT, that will take 3 more years to do the hours and there are less paid internships for that. At least with a doctorate degree, you have a higher placement rate into a paid position and the hours required are less for licensure. I can forget about getting paid for going to law school. I will not practice it for the next ten years.

Honestly, it doesn't seem like you have done much research before going into the MH field.

MFT's usually need 3,000 hours for licensure, but may vary by state. Psychologists (in most states) need 3,000 hours+ (1 year internship and one year postdoc). It's the same number of hours and it takes 2 years if you do it full-time. The only difference is that the internship is technically completed 1 year before you graduate at the doctoral level. MFT's in CA are often taking unpaid internships, but I don't know if this is true everywhere in the country. PsyD's from crappy programs are also frequently taking unpaid internships and postdocs through CAPIC (around 50% of the CAPIC internships are completely unpaid, not including the ones that are low paid stipends of 5,000 per year). Many of the unaccredited internships are unpaid (not all), but nobody reports these numbers online.

The MSW is typically seen as the most versatile of the various degrees out there for ma level therapists, and I have never heard of an MSW taking an unpaid job after he/she graduates (like i know many psyd's that do from crappy schools). You get the LCSW licensure to practice. You can also do this at a state school that has a good reputation and will be recognized by employers (UC schools) as opposed to some institute that nobody has ever heard of and is way more expensive.

So if you are in school for a PsyD, the internship means you are enrolled at school. Do you see why then doing unpaid work for two years in an MFT to get the 3000 hours can put my loans in default? Sure, the answer from schools is that it's ok, as many of their graduates will simply work on the side. Well if I can't, default is right there. Oh, and about the match number for PsyD s and PhDs. A lot are hired by the school themselves. I know that Alliant does that.

So if you are in school for a PsyD, the internship means you are enrolled at school. Do you see why then doing unpaid work for two years in an MFT to get the 3000 hours can put my loans in default? Sure, the answer from schools is that it's ok, as many of their graduates will simply work on the side. Well if I can't, default is right there. Oh, and about the match number for PsyD s and PhDs. A lot are hired by the school themselves. I know that Alliant does that.

No, I don't. Funded Master's programs are an option. Even if you don't get into a funded Master's program, federal student loans are also deferred while you're in grad school. They will still collect interest, but payments aren't due while you're enrolled (unless you've got private loans with different stipulations).

The one Alliant website I'm looking at boasts a whopping 12% APA internship match rate. (It is very, very difficult to get licensed without one of those.) Nothing saying that the non-APA ones will pay at all, in addition to possibly making it very, very difficult to get incensed.. Internship is also after having completed four years of school; at an unfunded program, you're not getting paid to attend classes (compare with a funded program which comes with some form of tuition waiver plus a stipend for TA or RA work).

There is a ton of inaccurate information about the PsyD in pretty much all your posts. You have no idea what you are getting into and only talked to alliant admissions reps maybe? I don't know where you got your information.