Anyone getting post interview love from programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard a peep from any of the programs I interviewed at. Felt all my interviews went really well, great conversation, interviewers seemed genuinely interested in our conversation. Seems some people are getting messages, which has me a little worried.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Post interview communication can be very awkward and a lot of programs don't participate in it. If we call you and tell you "you are ranked to match" and we are your number 5 or 6 or something, this places you in an awkward position.

"Oh, that's nice, thanks for calling".

Similarly, we aren't allowed to say anything that can be construed as a hint/promise/or wink. We either sound disinterested when we are not, or we risk being reported as a match violation. I do respond to questions and e-mails but I sound very bland even when I'm very excited about a candidate. I never initiate communication with applicants. I'm sure my residents do, but they don't control the list so I see nothing wrong with what they say.

I really wouldn't read anything into a lack of communication once you have gone on an interview.

Reactions: 5 users
Are programs not allowed to tell someone they've ranked to match them? I know students can tell programs they've ranked to match (#1)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are programs not allowed to tell someone they've ranked to match them? I know students can tell programs they've ranked to match (#1)
We could tell you, just as you can tell us--but because these communications can be misconstrued as promises that "we will do X if you do X", which is a match violation, most programs do not.

Just please chill--and rank programs in the order of your preference.

Reactions: 4 users
This thread is like a yearly Groundhog Day.

We should just have an automated rotating cast of sticky threads.

May-September 15: What are my chances?
September 16-October 31: Have I gotten enough interviews HELP!!!
November1-December 31: Does it mean anything if I've gotten post interview communication??? (It's a single post on a locked thread that says "No.")
January 1-February 15: How does the match work? I hear I should rank something besides my true preferences
February 15-March 15: Distraction thread while the algorithm runs for 7 minutes and the NRMP counts their money for the next 4 weeks
3rd week of March: Help I didn't match!!
4th week of March-April 31: Yay I matched! What should I do with myself?

Reactions: 8 users
We could tell you, just as you can tell us--but because these communications can be misconstrued as promises that "we will do X if you do X", which is a match violation, most programs do not.

Just please chill--and rank programs in the order of your preference.
It was a while ago that I matched. Then it was OK to express that a program was #1 but I wasn't sure what programs were allowed to do now.

Just curious about the rules. I think post interview program behavior must vary by specialty.

It was a while ago that I matched. Then it was OK to express that a program was #1 but I wasn't sure what programs were allowed to do now.

Just curious about the rules. I think post interview program behavior must vary by specialty.
Match Communication Code of Conduct - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
To promote the highest ethical standards during the interview, ranking, and matching processes, program directors participating in a Match shall commit to:
  • Respecting an applicant’s right to privacy and confidentiality Program directors and other interviewers may freely express their interest in a candidate, but they shall not ask an applicant to disclose the names, specialties, geographic location, or other identifying information about programs to which the applicant has or may apply.
  • Accepting responsibility for the actions of recruitment team members Program directors shall instruct all interviewers about compliance with Match policies and the need to ensure that all applicant interviews are conducted in an atmosphere that is safe, respectful, and nonjudgmental. Program directors shall assume responsibility for the actions of the entire interview team.
  • Refraining from asking illegal or coercive questions Program directors shall recognize the negative consequences that can result from questions about age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and family status, and shall ensure that communication with applicants remains focused on the applicant’s goodness of fit within their programs.
  • Declining to require second visits or visiting rotations Program directors shall respect the logistical and financial burden many applicants face in pursuing multiple interactions with programs and shall not require them or imply that second visits are used in determining applicant placement on a rank order list.
  • Discouraging unnecessary post-interview communication Program directors shall not solicit or require post-interview communication from applicants, nor shall program directors engage in post-interview communication that is disingenuous for the purpose of influencing applicants’ ranking preferences.

Reactions: 1 user
The only post-interview communications I got were anonymous surveys about how I thought the interview day went and how I thought the program could improve it.

Match Communication Code of Conduct - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
To promote the highest ethical standards during the interview, ranking, and matching processes, program directors participating in a Match shall commit to:
  • Respecting an applicant’s right to privacy and confidentiality Program directors and other interviewers may freely express their interest in a candidate, but they shall not ask an applicant to disclose the names, specialties, geographic location, or other identifying information about programs to which the applicant has or may apply.
  • Accepting responsibility for the actions of recruitment team members Program directors shall instruct all interviewers about compliance with Match policies and the need to ensure that all applicant interviews are conducted in an atmosphere that is safe, respectful, and nonjudgmental. Program directors shall assume responsibility for the actions of the entire interview team.
  • Refraining from asking illegal or coercive questions Program directors shall recognize the negative consequences that can result from questions about age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, and family status, and shall ensure that communication with applicants remains focused on the applicant’s goodness of fit within their programs.
  • Declining to require second visits or visiting rotations Program directors shall respect the logistical and financial burden many applicants face in pursuing multiple interactions with programs and shall not require them or imply that second visits are used in determining applicant placement on a rank order list.
  • Discouraging unnecessary post-interview communication Program directors shall not solicit or require post-interview communication from applicants, nor shall program directors engage in post-interview communication that is disingenuous for the purpose of influencing applicants’ ranking preferences.
lol I knew asking me if I was planning on getting pregnant was probably an overstep (this did not happen in psych tho)

Last edited:
Woah ...

I heard of someone getting a ton of illegal questions but they were a new interviewer and didn't know. They later apologized to my friend and said that they were impressed at the way she handled the questions. Said interviewer was just excited about the process and candidates interests in programs, life etc.

Reactions: 1 users
The only kind of post interview love from residencies that really matters is the one you get after the orientation week ;)

Reactions: 3 users
there's love after orientation week??? I wasn't even getting a reach around.

wow, psych residencies do do it differently

I wrote some emails of thanks and interest after interviews but didnt get a response. Is that normal? Wondering if theyre just not interested or if perhaps some programs have policies of just not responding to emails after interviews. Anyone know if thats normal?

I wrote some emails of thanks and interest after interviews but didnt get a response. Is that normal? Wondering if theyre just not interested or if perhaps some programs have policies of just not responding to emails after interviews. Anyone know if thats normal?

Very normal.

Extremely normal, hearing or not hearing from or back from programs post-interview is usually meaningless

Awesome, thanks. Figured if a program had interest they would at least acknowledge your interview thank you email. Feel better now :)