anyone got sick?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by sosoo, Aug 1, 2015.

1. sosoo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    i have a fever and told my supervisor i cannot come in to work tonight. he said i have to come in to work even if im sick. cvs. maryland. i thought we're not suppose to spread germs to patients? especially ppl who come at night from urgent care and hospital? i called my union rep but no reply.

2. Old Timer

Old Timer SDN Advisor
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You need to file a complaint with the ethics line..... Are you a student or a pharmacist

3. zelman

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You have a union?

4. Dred Pirate

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    ya - you have sick time - you get to use it - that being said it can be abused, but it sounds like this is a first time for you.
    We have a list of things were we CANNOT come to work if we have (pink eye, febrile, etc)

rph3664 likes this.
  5. trailerpark

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've gone to work with Pink eye. I have sick time, but don't feel like I could ever use it. How am I suppose to wake up at 6:30 and call who to say I won't be opening at 8am...?

6. radio frequency

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    WM H&W manager?

7. trailerpark

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What if they don't answer. I doubt they wake up at 6am every morning and who would they get to come in when I'm the floater. Hmmm I wonder why they don't have a training module for the proper channels to go through when calling out sick. They never even mentioned it.

8. M0df

M0df New Member
    10+ Year Member

Since you are in a union, it is a non issue. Even on my hr it shows your mandated sick time. How you deal with your sup/dm is a different topic. If you call ethics line, I would be curious to see where it goes.

9. sosoo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    my union rep says im allowed 1 week sick a year. though i searched online and it says for serious illness only. ppl with minor illness abusing it may get terminated b/c hiring/firing is at will. also for healthcare and food industry it applies under OSHA protection if its contagious. ppl coming in at night are usually urgent care or hospital. i honestly don't want to worsen their condition. // all in all my supervisor was able to find coverage for me today. i slept through the entire day and couldn't even get up to eat. just glad its over.

10. Aznfarmerboi

Aznfarmerboi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    A lot of times, the supervisor wants you to go in just so the pharmacy can be opened and they will find you coverage afterwards. This is especially true if you dont give them sufficient time to find coverage.

This is so people can get their medications (which they may be dependent on) without interruption among other obvious things.

11. Aznfarmerboi

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I find that you can call out sick for any reason. CVS has a policy not to go too deep into it concerning sick days.

However people do abuse it... and those people usually get manage out because they are also usually non performers in other aspects.

12. ancienbon

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It is only for pharmacist? Store managers said techs always need a doctor note

13. Aznfarmerboi

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It is also for store colleagues including techs. We do not need a doctor's note from a tech. If the tech wants to provide it to us, we have to take it and keep it in their employee file. The company is very open on this because there is an understanding that different states, unions, CITY, TOWN, etc have different laws regarding sick days. If the company requires a doctor's note when even local regulations don't, the company is open to law suits.

In NYC for example (not NYS), we can not ask for a doctor's note unless they are sick for more than 3 days. However, we don't bother asking them for that because if I do it, and the store down the block doesn't, then this opens the company up for discrimination law suits.

The only exception to not requiring a doctors note is if the tech is going to be out for a long period of time, or if they can not perform certain tasks due to their illness or disability from the sick day.

ancienbon likes this.
  14. BidingMyTime

BidingMyTime Lost Shaker Of Salt
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Of course you can call in sick, managers will try to make you feel guilty & coerce you into coming in anyway (probably because they are used to all the fakers who call in sick when they aren't.) Just be assertive and say you are too sick to stand up, and you can't come into work, and that will be the end of it. (of course, don't go posting on social media after calling in sick....)

owlegrad likes this.
  15. BMBiology

BMBiology temporarily banned~!
    15+ Year Member

Don't tell them you have a "fever". A fever can mean anything. Tell them you have explosive diarrhea. Problem solved.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    strawberry606 likes this.