Anyone Have Any Insights/Info on The Psych/Fam.Prac. or Psych/Int.Med. Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anyone have any insights into/experience with any of the Psych/Fam.Prac. Or Psych/Int.Med. combined residencies?

Are they difficult to match into? Recommended minimum Step 1 score (range of scores)? Anything else I am forgetting?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

-Mike

Members don't see this ad.

1. not too difficult to match, atleast that was the scenario couple of years ago.
2. before joining plz keep it in mind, managed care is not going to reimburse u for two different modalities of tx. If u r interested in working in a med-psych environment, there are not more than 25 med-psych units in the country. Also u may want to think of doing a CL psych fellowship(now psychosomatic).
Hope this helps:)

I agree with mdblue.

No one I know is applying in a combined program, and it does seem that these spots are a little easier to get (don't think they fill completely in the match, from the stats I remember).

I've heard that after training at a combined program, most people end up choosing to practice in one field or the other, but not usually in both. You're probably better prepared having experienced the other field, but is it worth those extra years of residency? I guess only someone who's been through the combined program would know.

Maybe you could contact the PD's for the places that have combined programs, and see if they could put you in touch with someone who's graduated from FP-psych or Med-psych.

Don't know if you have this link, but you can find out which combined programs participate in NRMP here...

http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/about/

I've applied to 6 of the dozen or so combined IM-programs out there. I am really starting to scrutinize them in terms of making the most of 5 years' worth of training. I have gotten interview offers from all 6 but it has been hard trying to scheduel them since IM is my back-up and have applied to gen. IM programs as well.

The best bet is to find a current resident and email him/her. That's what I am going to do because the psych faculty at my school are not very supportive.

-S.