Anyone hear from OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluegrass_druid

Torah del Fuego
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still have not heard any news (accepted/rejected/hold list) from the MD/PhD there, though I have been accepted by the medical school. Has anyone else heard word, yet? I am really just wondering whether the adcom has made any decisions, yet. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

bluegrass_druid said:
I still have not heard any news (accepted/rejected/hold list) from the MD/PhD there, though I have been accepted by the medical school. Has anyone else heard word, yet? I am really just wondering whether the adcom has made any decisions, yet. :confused:

Dr. Rotwein called me a few weeks ago and said that they hadn't made many offers of admission yet and he would be calling me back in a few weeks, but I haven't heard back from him.

i got the same message from dr. rotwein -- i talked to him about a week ago. and i, too, was accepted to the MD program. Im sort of excited that we are all in the same boat here.

Members don't see this ad :)
dcm37 said:
Dr. Rotwein called me a few weeks ago and said that they hadn't made many offers of admission yet and he would be calling me back in a few weeks, but I haven't heard back from him.

Same here. I did manage to get a hold of him last week, and he informed me that he was on vacation and would be back at OHSU this week. He also told me that he wanted to discuss my "options and possibilities" over the phone this week, but, thus far I have heard nothing.

I really have no idea where I stand in the process, as all of his emails have been very carefully worded such that I cannot really get excited or depressed.

lynnier79 said:
Im sort of excited that we are all in the same boat here.

Likewise. Hopefully we'll all be celebrating together in August after getting in. :thumbup: If anyone hears anything, keep me/us posted...I'll do the same.

Good luck :luck:

i talked to dr. rotwein this afternoon, and...

basically he said he can answer any question except "am I in?"

kinda disappointing. From his answers I understood that they have made a couple of offers, but have not yet filled the class. He also went into detail about how many people drop...etc. But, I know they have a different policy than many schools in that they do not feel obligated to fill their class (last year they only filled 3 of 5 slots), but prefer a "good fit" instead. He expected further offers to be made in the next week or two. :sleep:

The good news is that he told me that I should feel optimistic about my chances :horns:

i talked to dr. rotwein on wednesday, i think. i had a similar conversation as you, so i guess there is reason to remain optomistic!!

WOOHOO!!! I GOT IN!!!!

(sorry about the shouting...I'm pretty excited)

I guess there was reason to remain optimistic...

bluegrass_druid said:
WOOHOO!!! I GOT IN!!!!

(sorry about the shouting...I'm pretty excited)

I guess there was reason to remain optimistic...

Congrats on OHSU Bluegrass_druid. Hope you head out towards stumptown.

Just wanted to keep you guys posted... I heard from Dr. Rotwein on Friday, but have decided to go to Einstein instead. Good luck and enjoy Portland! :)

congrats bluegrass-druid!!!

i actually got in, too, but have decided to go elsewhere for family reasons. have a great time in portland.

lynnier79 said:
congrats bluegrass-druid!!!

i actually got in, too, but have decided to go elsewhere for family reasons. have a great time in portland.

congrats and thanks! it's kinda sad that i'm the only one on here who intends to head there...does everyone know something that i don't?? :eek:

also, where did you ultimately decide on?

bluegrass_druid said:
congrats and thanks! it's kinda sad that i'm the only one on here who intends to head there...does everyone know something that i don't?? :eek:

also, where did you ultimately decide on?

Hey! Congrats on getting accepted! I was accepted to OHSU this weekend. I'm actually still deciding where I want to go though. (I was also accepted at the University of Wisconsin in Madison where I live right now.) My main hesitation to head out to ohsu is the cost. I think I'd be slightly happier out out west, but in the end perhaps not $80K happier. I love to travel, and my dream job would be leading medical expeditions for Doctors Without Borders. Problem is doing those things costs $. Would I rather go to school in beautiful portland? or be able to travel sooner? it's a dilemma.

emchen said:
Hey! Congrats on getting accepted! I was accepted to OHSU this weekend. I'm actually still deciding where I want to go though. (I was also accepted at the University of Wisconsin in Madison where I live right now.) My main hesitation to head out to ohsu is the cost. I think I'd be slightly happier out out west, but in the end perhaps not $80K happier. I love to travel, and my dream job would be leading medical expeditions for Doctors Without Borders. Problem is doing those things costs $. Would I rather go to school in beautiful portland? or be able to travel sooner? it's a dilemma.
Congrats on the acceptance, emchen! I don't know what to tell you re: the schools. I really don't know much about Wisconsin, but OHSU truly amazed me. One major factor was the established and stable medical school curriculum, which many other schools are transitioning into now. The fact that OHSU's has been around so long means that many of the bumps have likely been worked out. A major factor in my decision was also the graduate school faculty, and I did not have to worry about money, since the MD/PhD is fully funded.

Given your goals, I can understand why the money really concerns you. Practicing international medicine is not nearly as lucrative as doing it domestically. Still, there are always ways to pay for your education...it might take some creativity or sacrifice, but that all depends on how much you want to go to OHSU. Perhaps you should look into which school has the better options for doing clinical years abroad--to both test your goals as well as get out there sooner. Also, a lot can happen (marriage, family, etc) between now and when you'd like to travel, and your goals may be revised accordingly. Whatever you decide to do, good luck. PM me if you decide to come to Oregon or if you have any questions.

bluegrass_druid said:
Given your goals, I can understand why the money really concerns you. Practicing international medicine is not nearly as lucrative as doing it domestically. Still, there are always ways to pay for your education...it might take some creativity or sacrifice, but that all depends on how much you want to go to OHSU. Perhaps you should look into which school has the better options for doing clinical years abroad--to both test your goals as well as get out there sooner. Also, a lot can happen (marriage, family, etc) between now and when you'd like to travel, and your goals may be revised accordingly. Whatever you decide to do, good luck. PM me if you decide to come to Oregon or if you have any questions.

thanks for the insights. (i realize i'll have to make a decision rather soon!) confounding the problem is that both ohsu and the uni of wisconsin are great schools. (on the u.s. news 2005 rankings for primary care ohsu is 2nd in the nation, UW madison is 3rd.) i'm going to meet with my long time mentor tomorrow for some advice. I'll for sure let you know if we're going to be classmates. :)

Primary care rankings mean very very little. Ranking is dependent on the percentage of students entering into primary care, which itself changes due to the vagaries of a class or profile of the class that those schools admit.

As a researcher, concern yourself with the quality and reputation of the research that happens at your institutions of interest, not the percentage of the class that goes into primary care.

I could be wrong, but based on concerns about cost and $$ I am pretty sure that emchen has applied for the MD program, not the MD/PhD, so primary care rankings would be very important...especially for someone interested in international medicine.

bluegrass_druid said:
I could be wrong, but based on concerns about cost and $$ I am pretty sure that emchen has applied for the MD program, not the MD/PhD, so primary care rankings would be very important...especially for someone interested in international medicine.

Yep, I'm just MD. It would be nice to be paid to attend med school, but having done research throughout undergrad, I've realized I have little interest in pursuing it. I have a lot of respect for anyone tough enough to pull off MD/PhD. Good luck with that.

As for the reputation of OHSU vs. UW-Madison, my advisors have also expressed similar opinions.