anyone hear from TSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buiyahkah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was just wondering if anyone has received a letter of acceptance from tsu yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I had interview on April 5th and got the acceptance letter from TSU yesterday. Exactly 2 weeks process.
Good luck! :)

I am thinking about applying there for 2006, what were your impressions of the school, faculty, program, etc??

Members don't see this ad :)
rxaggie2005 said:
I am thinking about applying there for 2006, what were your impressions of the school, faculty, program, etc??

My impression on this school only count on that interview day, I may give a A- letter grade as total.

People say they are slow and mess around. I didn't see that, at least they send me the acceptance letter within 2 weeks.

People say they always prefer African American students, I can't agree with that either. I see Asian and white pharmacy students in the pharmacy building that day. I am Asian, they accept me right away.

Other people say they are rude or arrogant, compared to the UH faculty, they are nothing. They don't talk much, let you finish the interview within 10 minutes. Routine questions.

TSU maybe not your first choice, but it is an acceptable school. As a UH student, I scored 95 composite PCAT and 4.0 GPA, still get declined by UH. What choice do I have? Accept the offer from TSU and graduate earlier.

Don't let the rumor bothers you, go apply. They will take care of you as long as you are qualified.

More questions regarding the application are welcome. :)

Thank you so much Raining! I must say I am surprised you didnt get into UH. I also applied to UH and got declined, but I expected it since my GPA is around a 3.1.
I didnt have the Anatomy and Physiology or Physics 2 classes that TSU wanted, so I couldnt apply there. I plan on taking those over the next year and applying for 2006. What was the title of the A&P class you took and where did you take it? The pre-req sheet on TSU's website is a little confusing so I'm not sure exactly what they want!

rxaggie2005 said:
Thank you so much Raining! I must say I am surprised you didnt get into UH. I also applied to UH and got declined, but I expected it since my GPA is around a 3.1.
I didnt have the Anatomy and Physiology or Physics 2 classes that TSU wanted, so I couldnt apply there. I plan on taking those over the next year and applying for 2006. What was the title of the A&P class you took and where did you take it? The pre-req sheet on TSU's website is a little confusing so I'm not sure exactly what they want!

1. In UH COP, you can be declined for any reason. Nothing is surprising. I got turned down because admission committee assume I have English communication problem. I just regard this as excuse. Having English accent is normal for foreign students. How can a student with English problem understand the lecture and keep the GPA straight 4.0? As a pharm tech in clinic, I interact doctors, patients and nurses all day long. I am never told that English has been a problem for us to talk, instead, I received a lot of oral rewards from my patiens. I understand their decision. They need to follow the code in order to keep the asian student at certain percentage in the college, otherwise they lose the federal funds. That maybe the reason a lot of extraordinary asian students I know were either declined or put in the "table".

2. I took AP at HCC in order to save money and time. I took API last summer and APII this semester. TSU won't look down you if you some classes at HCC. If you need to know what to take at UH for AP, I think it should be Anatomy and Physiology, which is a freshman level class. Consulting Ms. Davis who is in charge of the academic records at TSU, she is very nice and patient.
You don't need to take physics lab, I found out till yesterday that Lab is not required, :laugh: Additionally, you need to take a sophomore level english literature class.

Raining said:
1. In UH COP, you can be declined for any reason. Nothing is surprising. I got turned down because admission committee assume I have English communication problem. I just regard this as excuse. Having English accent is normal for foreign students. How can a student with English problem understand the lecture and keep the GPA straight 4.0? As a pharm tech in clinic, I interact doctors, patients and nurses all day long. I am never told that English has been a problem for us to talk, instead, I received a lot of oral rewards from my patiens. I understand their decision. They need to follow the code in order to keep the asian student at certain percentage in the college, otherwise they lose the federal funds. That maybe the reason a lot of extraordinary asian students I know were either declined or put in the "table".

2. I took AP at HCC in order to save money and time. I took API last summer and APII this semester. TSU won't look down you if you some classes at HCC. If you need to know what to take at UH for AP, I think it should be Anatomy and Physiology, which is a freshman level class. Consulting Ms. Davis who is in charge of the academic records at TSU, she is very nice and patient.
You don't need to take physics lab, I found out till yesterday that Lab is not required, :laugh: Additionally, you need to take a sophomore level english literature class.
damn, i interviewed on 3/29 and haven't heard anything yet...maybe thats a bad sign :(

buiyahkah said:
damn, i interviewed on 3/29 and haven't heard anything yet...maybe thats a bad sign :(

Not really, don't think that way.

As far as I know they start sending out the offer last Friday,maybe not go by alphabetical order, I bet your last name starts with B ;) and they just started the second round of interview this week.

May I ask you how you did on your interview? Everything okay? If yes, I guess just wait a little bit longer. When I look back, I still feel that waiting for the school response is so painful that I can't experience one more time.

Be patient. I know it is painful. I am still waiting for my chance... Good luck.

Raining said:

I assume that you are the same person that put the only negative response onto UH's interview experience. Even if you aren't, I still think your reasoning as to why you got rejected at UH is lame. Just b/c you have an extremely high GPA and PCAT score does not mean you will always get into any school you want. Your interview is based on 3 things at UH: your writing, interview, and group assessment. If your rejection was based solely on your communication skills...don't jump to conclusions and say b/c its your accent. I know quite a few people who are in UH pharmacy school right now who have a foreign accent.

Back to the interview. The writing portion is looked at a lot. Its ranked on a scale and judging by your many grammatical errors, that could have looked badly. My friend was tabled after his interview and found out that he was rejected because of 2 things and one of them was that his grammar and writing skills were not up to par. Perhaps on your group assessment part....you spoke too much or spoke too little or spoke about things that didn't make sense. The evaluation for the group assessment is based on how you interact with others and how well you worked with them. What if you bombed that part and just haven't realized it yet because you automatically assumed that your accent was why you got rejected? UH deals with a lot of group interaction and writing...perhaps they thought your communication skills just weren't sufficient enough.

I definitely know the reason how some students have communication problems yet maintain a 4.0. Its called easy teachers and luck. People need to stop and think that with almost perfect pcat scores and gpas does not make you a qualified student for acceptance. Schools definitely look at your extracurricular activities and if you have been involved in any time of leadership activities. Perhaps you were beat out by other students who had just the same grades and scores but were more well-rounded?

I apologize if this seems like a big blow to your bickering about UH, but I just couldn't stand you trying to make UH look like a bad school. If UH had these quotas..why is that theres almost like 50 Asian students in the first year and like just a few African American students? Where are the rest of them? There should be more AA students, but I know a few AA students who were rejected last year with great gpas and pcat scores and all that other good stuff. Its about who they think is qualified.

TSU is so unprofessional. I just had my interview there this Thursday (4/21). I received a letter in the mail on 4/19 saying I had an interview and the letter was dated on 4/18. How are you going to give a student 3 days to prepare for the interview. I went to the interview just for kicks b/c I have been accepted to UH already and well...I paid 140 to apply to TSU so I might as well get the most out of it.

On top of that, when I went into my interview, I was told to sit in front of 3 interviewers and I had no idea who there were. They never introduced themselves to me and so I never really built a level of comfort in the 5 minutes I was there. Its whatever. I dont know much about their program, but judging from my interview experience, I can kind of tell what kind of school they are like. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I'm just going to keep mine to myself.

Good luck to everyone applying there though. Someone said like 1500 applicants this year. They were interviewing like 21 a day (monday-thursday). I dont know for how long though. So just be prepared if you really want to go to this school.

correct, it is me to put negative feedback on UH. It is free country, everyone can tell what they really feel about their experience. The only reason I got declined is my communication skill. As a new immigrant in this country, the only reason I can think about is accent. Ms. Barbara Tatum didn't mention my writing at all.

Don't throw the bomb in front of me because I say something bad about UH. They used to be my first choice. But they turned me down twice for the same reason regardless all the efforts and progresses I have ever made in the past years. I will never forget her face and eyes when she told me about it, as if I didn't deserve to apply or wasted her time.

I maybe lucky enough to get "easy" professor, including the organic chemistry at UH to ACE on every class. God, I have to be lucky on 72 credit hours and my biology major clases. Every single credit!! How lucky I am!!

I forgot to mention, I also got accepted by texas tech. I decided to stay in Houston, since I have my family here. I just got married and bought a house here. Being a wife and daughter, family value also is important.

I am not saying I am the best of best on the applicants in UH. I have my weakness, so do you. It is just because my weakness in English seems to be more serious in their eyes.

You are lucky enough to be accepted by UH, you know how many students with the same qualification are declined for some other reason? UH sets up too many flexible judegement points, which are hard for us know where we are.

Good luck to your study at UH, I believe I can be as good pharmacist as you are when we graduate. Because working doesn't depend on which school you are from, moreover, it depends on who you are and what you can.

Raining, what is your last name initial?

Buiyakkah, I don't think they sent out the acceptance letter sorted by lastname. Last night, one of my friends, he was interviewed on the same date with me --April 5---, and his last name initial is Y, is in! My lastname initial is C.

Then, I feel your pain too. OUCH! I don't like the waiting period. I heard that UH's turn around is 3 days!

So, Buiyakkah, you are not alone. We are in the same boat. Let us know when you hear anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
dabumba said:
C, too. We had same day interview... I don't think they sent out the letter alphabetically, either.

I strongly recommended you go and ask about your applications.

Raining said:
dabumba said:
C, too. We had same day interview... I don't think they sent out the letter alphabetically, either.

I strongly recommended you go and ask about your applications.

I am afraid that I will cause them a frustration.... Do you have any better idea? I want to find it out anxiously.

Or do you know what day is better to go to see them?

Thanks for your responses.

Buiyakkah,

I have a friend. She is interviewed on 3/29 too. And she is still in waiting mode like you.

Best of luck.

dabumba said:
Raining said:
I am afraid that I will cause them a frustration.... Do you have any better idea? I want to find it out anxiously.

Or do you know what day is better to go to see them?

Thanks for your responses.

I turned in my offer acceptance letter in person last Friday. So I checked the student service office open hour while I was waiting during their lunch break. I suggest you come on Friday when they don't have interview. Don't come between 12-1pm, office close for lunch break. Ask Ms. Davis, she may see you and talk about your case.

I think they can understand you, since it is the end of the semester already, students have the rights to know what is going on and schedule the coming semester. Ask politely.

I know a student, who get nothing from TSU, even no interview called them, they scheduled a interview for her a week later.

TSU doesn't send out the notification if you are in the waiting list, so what you will get is either Congratulation or Sorry. Go ahead and ask them.

Best of the luck!

Raining said:
dabumba said:
I turned in my offer acceptance letter in person last Friday. So I checked the student service office open hour while I was waiting during their lunch break. I suggest you come on Friday when they don't have interview. Don't come between 12-1pm, office close for lunch break. Ask Ms. Davis, she may see you and talk about your case.

I think they can understand you, since it is the end of the semester already, students have the rights to know what is going on and schedule the coming semester. Ask politely.

I know a student, who get nothing from TSU, even no interview called them, they scheduled a interview for her a week later.

TSU doesn't send out the notification if you are in the waiting list, so what you will get is either Congratulation or Sorry. Go ahead and ask them.

Best of the luck!

well i thought that my interview went OK, not too great i guess. when they asked if i had any questions for them, my last question was "i heard a few years ago TSU had the highest average naplex score in the state" and i got this really shocked look on one of the interviewers face and she said "if you take care of your business you don't need to worry about the naplex". to this day i think she thought i said "lowest score" instead...i dunno man this wait is just awful, but i'm still hoping...congratulations on your acceptance!

Raining,
What kind of envelop that you received from TSU? Thick? Large? Regular? Normal one page thick? Several pages?

Buiyakkah,
What I heard from my friend was: they just start to send out from now until May.... Best wishes.

Dabumba.

dabumba said:
Raining,
What kind of envelop that you received from TSU? Thick? Large? Regular? Normal one page thick?
The envelop is just normal size, it has two pages inside. The first page is congratulation, and instruct you several mandatory things you need to do.

The second page is your signature, which shows you decide to accept the TSU offer. You need to return both of the pages to TSU within 8 days from the day they accept you, or the acceptace will be voided.

If you would receive the TSU letter these two weeks, which means you get accepted. They won't send out the decline letter until July I guess.

I didn't experience the moment of opening the letter. But you can tell that you get accepted when touching the envelope. Because it feels thicker than a one page letter.

Raining said:
The envelop is just normal size, it has two pages inside. The first page is congratulation, and instruct you several mandatory things you need to do.

The second page is your signature, which shows you decide to accept the TSU offer. You need to return both of the pages to TSU within 8 days from the day they accept you, or the acceptace will be voided.

If you would receive the TSU letter these two weeks, which means you get accepted. They won't send out the decline letter until July I guess.

I didn't experience the moment of opening the letter. But you can tell that you get accepted when touching the envelope. Because it feels thicker than a one page letter.

i just recieved my acceptance from tsu, and i know thats a good pharmacy school cos 90% of their students pass the board exam. I got in UH and texas tech and i only have a gpa of 3.17 and a pcat score of 45. The thing is i am pretty good in interviews and i know how to convince people, so if you think you did a good job convincing them, then u should get a letter. Goodluck

pharmpharm said:
i just recieved my acceptance from tsu, and i know thats a good pharmacy school cos 90% of their students pass the board exam. I got in UH and texas tech and i only have a gpa of 3.17 and a pcat score of 45. The thing is i am pretty good in interviews and i know how to convince people, so if you think you did a good job convincing them, then u should get a letter. Goodluck

Pharmpharm,
When was your interview? When did you receive your letter of acceptance from TSU? My interview was April 5, and still waiting.
Congrats.

pharmpharm said:

Congrats! So which school are you going to pick up?

i just got accepted to tsu today. my interview was april 21. ill be declining it though for other spots to open.