anyone hear from Weill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saphireflame

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any love from Weill other than responses to thank you's?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. didn't even get replys to thanks yous lol

replies to thank you emails, there was a LGBT and friends social in january

Members don't see this ad :)
I should modify my original post to read "other than response (singular) from thank yous"-- PD emailed me back in response to my thank you, but that was it.

also, this is so last minute and probably been beat-to-death already, but i'm fairly torn between weill and another program that's similar in caliber but in a much smaller city: can anyone just comment on 1) blood draws and transporting patients-- seriously, most residents aren't really doing that on a routine basis anymore right? and 2) from what i learned on interview day, residents say that they make enough for the exorbitant (already subsidized) rent and other NYC expenses. they say that they just don't get to save any money. Can anyone with some experience in this comment on what it means in terms of loan payments? i have no problems with not saving, but i'd like to start putting a dent into my loan payments... in other words, does anyone know how much of our salary we actually get in our pockets every month?

thanks for reading. sorry for the rambling.

I should modify my original post to read "other than response (singular) from thank yous"-- PD emailed me back in response to my thank you, but that was it.

also, this is so last minute and probably been beat-to-death already, but i'm fairly torn between weill and another program that's similar in caliber but in a much smaller city: can anyone just comment on 1) blood draws and transporting patients-- seriously, most residents aren't really doing that on a routine basis anymore right? and 2) from what i learned on interview day, residents say that they make enough for the exorbitant (already subsidized) rent and other NYC expenses. they say that they just don't get to save any money. Can anyone with some experience in this comment on what it means in terms of loan payments? i have no problems with not saving, but i'd like to start putting a dent into my loan payments... in other words, does anyone know how much of our salary we actually get in our pockets every month?

thanks for reading. sorry for the rambling.
You will do occasional blood draws, and transport patients with semi-emergent imaging needs and urgent transfer to a higher level of care. Neither is excessive, and neither is bad for you.

The accommodation is exorbitant--even more so since it is 'subsidized'. You will not have a lot of money, I promise. I honestly can't see how anyone can possible pay student loans as a resident there. The housing rates rise out of proportion with inflation. Case in point: a resident who arrived three years before me for the same apartment was paying $200 less than me each month. You will not save money here unless you are independently wealthy. Lia Logio blocked R2s from moonlighting, and that makes it even harder. You can moonlight at MSKCC and on the WCMC leukemia service as an R3.

Overall, it's a solid program and you will be trained well academically, and practically--more than may other programs that never see you do an ABG, draw venous blood, or do the occasional 12 lead. Again--in moderation and in the right setting, none of that is bad for you IMHO.

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't know there's no moonlighting as an R2-- what's the reasoning? So we focus more on education? Lol. And while I've got ya, do you mind sharing a little on the day to day hours at Cornell (I know it varies from service to service)? And for the people who might not necessarily want to do heme/onc, do you think Cornell offers enough support for research/mentoring in other sub specialities? I also heard Dr Logio might not be the most enthusiastic in terms of getting to know the residents-- is this true? Do you feel like that interferes with fellowship chances? Again, I'm just grasping at random nitpicky details but any little bit of additional information I can get in the next 48 hrs will help me feel better about my list haha. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't know there's no moonlighting as an R2-- what's the reasoning? So we focus more on education? Lol. And while I've got ya, do you mind sharing a little on the day to day hours at Cornell (I know it varies from service to service)? And for the people who might not necessarily want to do heme/onc, do you think Cornell offers enough support for research/mentoring in other sub specialities? I also heard Dr Logio might not be the most enthusiastic in terms of getting to know the residents-- is this true? Do you feel like that interferes with fellowship chances? Again, I'm just grasping at random nitpicky details but any little bit of additional information I can get in the next 48 hrs will help me feel better about my list haha. Thanks again!
I'm not been there this past season as I'm out of residency, but non-call days on the floor and step-down was about 6:30am-6:30pm give or take, and less for interns now with the new working hours and perpetual signing out. I wouldn't base much of your decision on a residency program from the hours. In the grand scale of things, they are all pretty much the same, and internship will pretty much suck wherever you go.

Who knows why Lia came up with that policy.. I didn't overlap with her for the whole residency, but I did find her not very approachable. She usually picks a favorite resident. Maybe things are different now that she's not so new. I never asked her for a letter or anything as I felt she didn't know me well enough. It didn't hurt me.

It's true that MSK is a crown jewel. We work several months over there and, if you do a good job, they'll take you. They know our training well. The WCMC hem/onc program is pretty good. We have Dr. Morton Coleman (if you are interested in the history of lymphoma regimens) and the MM service is really strong. WCMC is also strong in pulm/CC, but weaker in GI and cardiology in my opinion.

In any case, WCMC is a solid program and you'll be well-trained. As long as a program has substrate and you work hard, it can be whatever you make it. Good luck.