Anyone heard from NYCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anars28

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Has anyone who interviewed in April heard anything from NYCOM? I heard the class was full from another poster, does this automatically put us in the waitlist category?? :(

Members don't see this ad.

anars28 said:
Hey all,
Has anyone who interviewed in April heard anything from NYCOM? I heard the class was full from another poster, does this automatically put us in the waitlist category?? :(

With NYCOM, I dont think anybody really knows. A health advisor at my school told me they can even wait until 2 days before classes begin to tell u that u have been accepted off the wait list. Chances are u should send a deposit for any other school u applied to and not wait for NYCOM. If u get in, then u can always go to NYCOM but if not, then u lose a seat at another school.

anars28 said:
Hey all,

they probably didnt process your batch yet, you should call taryn croot shes really nice, she will tell you when you could expect to hear from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called NYCOM, and they said I should be hopefully hearing in a couple of weeks! :( It has been a month already!! I sent my deposit in for another school, but really want to attend NYCOM...

it took them 7weeks after my interview, but i got a letter on the 13th saying i was accepted. it is not too late. good luck

i also interviewed in april...still no word...but after going through almost every post on sdn in the past few weeks i realized that nycom started interviewing late, and generally takes a long time to respond...i wish i knew when their meetings were. its been 4 weeks for me tomorrow..well today..i hope i get in. all im doing at home is what i havent had the time to do the past 7 years...cook, eat, build things and start an ebay buisness...gee i really need to get into school..its like thenext step that im just yearning for...i told myself that id wait till i got word of an acceptance before i went on the only vacation ive had since i could even understand or appreciate a vacation. i feel like im just waiting infront of that door thats supposed to open for me to get on with that i need to do to move my life along; academically, socially, and developmentally. its funny how all through undergrad a lot of us dont quite see it all comming to this one moment in time...i wish everyone the best and i hope everyone that applied gets in and takes the opportunity to better themselves in everyway possible. :confused:

i too felt that anxiety and boredom. when i didn't get any good news by the end of march, i thought for sure i had no more chance. but i kept praying and in the same second week of may i got 2 acceptances. don't give up yet. make sure the schools know you are still interested. i sent about 5 extra letters of recom. within the months i was waiting for nycom. letters from supervisors, patients, drs, teachers, volunteer org., lab assistants, e.t.c
i of course wrote all the letters my self (streessing all the qualities important to the admin. commitee) and just asked that the individuals review it, print on letterhead paper and sign if they agree with the content. they all did and it helped my application. i was accepted to both schools that i sent additional letters to. good luck to everyone and believe that God does have a plan in place for u

i definately know that there are people on the nycom waitlist as of today..i stopped by and saw atleast one "waitlist update" form that someone had filled out and sent back to them indicating they still wanted to stay on the waitlist..i have yet to hear of anyone interviewing from april till now getting an acceptance. i unfortunately havent heard from them. I also saw a pile of rejection letters waiting to be mailed out..very short. 2 sentences to be exact. Ouch. i hope im not one but as of now ..im already disheartned by the presence of people on waitlist while i have yet to even hear anything.

GqDocStar said:
i definately know that there are people on the nycom waitlist as of today..i stopped by and saw atleast one "waitlist update" form that someone had filled out and sent back to them indicating they still wanted to stay on the waitlist..i have yet to hear of anyone interviewing from april till now getting an acceptance. i unfortunately havent heard from them. I also saw a pile of rejection letters waiting to be mailed out..very short. 2 sentences to be exact. Ouch. i hope im not one but as of now ..im already disheartned by the presence of people on waitlist while i have yet to even hear anything.
Hang in there kiddo. I know waiting is just too painful. I should know from personal experiences. Don't give up yet. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised when you least expect it.
Good luck to you and hope to see you in the Fall 2005.

i've called every week since my interview. still no answer. the last time i called (on tuesday) they said a few weeks yet.

m_cricket...when did you interview...i was there today...apparently one of the two admissions staff has been sick for like the last 3 weeks off and on...i saw her last friday and she said she was just comming back from being sick..today i had an appointment with one of the deans and went to check on my app and assistant director of admissions taryn croot was the only one there trying to do stuff...and guess what...the letters and stuff i saw last week and reported back on ..they were EXACTLY the way they were last week..nobody has even touched them! the same waitlist letter is on the same spot on her desk along with a pile of rejection letters..if i had an acceptance anywhere else at this point id just start packing my bags to go there so i can be set already and prepare for med school...the way it looks, nycom will definately be a while..oh and their computers were down today as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied fairly early. NYCOM asked me for an interview approximately 2 weeks after I sent in my AACOMAS (in February) and interviewed me on March 3. They sent me the letter of acceptance two and a half weeks later, but I feel that I did very well in my interview. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting... :thumbup:

BTW GqDocStar, I'm also a graduate of Stony Brook-hope to see you there in August!

i interviewed first week of may. are they even taking anymore for their class?

m_cricket said:
i interviewed first week of may. are they even taking anymore for their class?

Two of my friends who applied to NYCOM and got interviews are now in limbo too. Everyone I know who took the MCAT last year got a brochure from NYCOM, so it may be because NYCOM got more applicants than expected this year-plus it seems they have an understaffed admissions committee. They may also be waiting for spots to open up.

:)

Good luck!

good buddy of mine got a call from nycom yesterday in the early morning telling him he got in...he was a special case though whom they knew had to make serious decisions about living and family ect so they knew he needed to know asap of any decisions...he says they told him he wont get his letter for 2 weeks probably. the scary thing is that me and him interviewed on the same day so ...it freaks me out to know that they have looked at my application/file most likely and he got in. we went to same undergrad too...i hope they didnt look at us and decide to take him over me...we are both south asian decent same under grad...same interview day...lets hope they take two of a kind... :scared:

Isn't this the case for a large number of people? I don't see why they would make a special consideration unless they actually intended to accept him.

GqDocStar said:
he was a special case though whom they knew had to make serious decisions about living and family ect so they knew he needed to know asap of any decisions...

what i mean is that the person who called him basically told him he's in the day after they decided on his file vs. him waiting on the letter...its a mystery whats going on with nycom right now...nobody even knows if seats are filled, if they have gone into waitlist...what they are doing even...and unfortunately im in the mix of all that...ive been hopeful for a long time but hearing about my friend who interviewed the same day as me makes me know that my bunch has been or is being looked at with no news about any acceptance for me.

everybody, id like to thank you for putting up with me as a osteo med student hopeful over the last few months...you wont have to put up with it anymore....yes im sorry to say that NOW YOU WILL BE SEEING ME IN THE NYCOM CLASS OF 2009!!! thats right everyone!!! im in..got my letter today..never got a waitlist letter or anyting...just the acceptance letter dated june 20th and i got it today!!!

heres my story for any that care to read:

hunter college transfer to stonybrook university after my first year there...
horrible grades the first year (sophomore) at stonybrook...this was when i took ALL MY CHEM AND PHSICS AND BIO requirements!! (Cs and Bs)..was on academic warning once
took 12 credits in the summer and 18+ credits per semester ever since and rocked ALL upper division bio classes ( i opted to take the hardest ones available too)
chose a second major in psychlogy starting my second semester of junior year...this upped my credit load to 22+ each semester (i wanted the b.s in psych)
Rocked all psych classes (again i took the hardest ones possible ..these were the neuropsych, biopsych physiological psych, cognition classes)
Signed up for kaplan mcat course with a cum 3.0gpa in fall of 03
Never went to it from november till april 04
didnt take the april mcats in 04, instead
Finished bio major in spring of 04
i studied in the summer ALL THE stuff i hadnt seen since sophomore year first semester. (only summer w/o classes)
Took august 04 mcats and scored 29R (9V10PS10Bs)
NOTHING BUT MCAT DONE AT THIS TIME---no recs, no personal statement, nothing..no premed committee..
Psych major completed in dec 04 or so i thought (had to take a class in winter online just to be able to graduate in december).
After i finished online class which was brutally condensed..
I started my application on jan 18 2005
finished my personal statement and application on jan 30 ready to be submitted
saw that i entered ALL classes wrong on the aacomas system (they have a different way of looking at fall and spring)
redid it all and got it submitted jan 31st at 11:36pm
applied to pcom, umdnj and nycom
met with premed comittee but they werent meeting!!! ahah
paid off parking tickets feb 4th and sent out transcripts from sbu
sent out hunter college transcripts feb7th i think...
everything got there by the transcript deadline of feb 14 EXCEPT sunysb
premed committe interview done via phone conference at 7am feb 3rd week
letter sent to nycom umdnj and pcom 2 days letter via fax
checked wiht aacomas why my stuff wasnt being sent to schools...this is when i found out about the transcript...spent 3 weeks sending transcripts 3 times and finally got there march 19!!!
Had to call nycom, pcom and umdnj to see if they would write letters to still accept my application.
ONLY NYCOM AGREED
Refund issued for the other two schools
NYCOM got my application profile on april 1st
Sent out my interview letter april 5th
Mail man lost all mail for 3days and i never got my interview letter till april15
Nycom calls me and wonders why i havent responded on april 12th
I take the interview on 21st of april wiht others who had applied ages earlier
Had D.O letter faxed the same day (on teh way to the d.o to shadow him for the day, i got into a car accident..had to fix my car on the road and put a donut on to get to him)
Gave in a M.D rec i got from a big shot at coney island hospital
waited
waited
letter of intent sent may 07
waited
waited
called and kept good contact with the admission office
gave in a md rec from cornell med with whom i spend 1 year doing research with (3rd week of may)
sent in volunteer letter first week of june for a track team i worked with since i interviewed
Went in every other friday and called every friday inbetween. Taryn Croot is awesome.
Literally gave up last night...for real..id show you my ims to a friend but its depressing...
woke up today to let the satellite guy in to install dish tv
checked my mail ..and BOOM ..thick envelope...taped..green can be seen through it...and i read the first sentence and just had to sit down.

EC's - 1.5 years of research in scoliosis, neurofibromatosis, marfrans syndrome at HSS cornell med
Resident assistant for 2 years wiht multiple grants awarded for information technology initiative i took in bringing residential halls up to tech for the future.
Rebuilt cars for charity auctioning...3 summers
Taught bio and math in rural village highschools in bangladesh for 2 months
assistant coached a high school track team and took them to penn relays for the first time in their school's history
those are the main ones..had a lot of clinical experience...NEVER VOLUNTEERED AT A HOSPITAL but this is the thing..i got paid to work at a hospital so clinical exposure is there and volunteered for charities in other ways eg. the car thing so the volunteer service is there too...i planned relay for life ..american cancer societies annual program. all in all I KNOW what i am and what i am not...im not an overzelous premed who does things to meet requirements...i didnt want to volunteer at a hospital so i didnt..i did want to volunteer my efforts in a way i could get the most for my efforts...the cars i built got near 10k for the charities...thats actually getting somewhere i WANTED to get doing what i love...i encourage everyone to do what they like and be genuine..i dont have 1 volunteer hr in a hospital but i do have 1000s of them at a hospital under salary..a very good salary at that...its a lot harder to rebuild a spun bearing in the crankshaft or replace a piston ring then it is to be a candy striper trust me ..but for me it was helping someone out with MS and i like working with my hands...whatever...im just rambling..be strong everyone..im sure there are lots of you in the position iwas in...be discouraged but know how to bounce back and be happy and then bounce and bounce and bounce...but just know how to deal with it and you will be ok..

its all over and yet its jus all started....for all those who lose hope...DONT...i lost it got it back lost it but never finally gave up even last night..im very appreciative of the opportunity to be what i want to be and do what i genuinely want to do with my life...this is the best gift i could have gotten EVER..its the gift of opportunity.

3.25gpa 29R mcat applied PAST deadlines..but showed them who i really am...and took a hold of the process and did what i had to do....dont let ANYBODY tell you otherwise...i had a supportive advisor at sbu but i only saw and spoke to him for 3 minutes because i knew what i wanted to do and was only there to ask him to write me my letter...SDN is the most valuable resource ive had in this whole thing...when i came to stonybrook i didnt even know what gpa meant..like whats a 3.6 or whatever...nothing...if i had sdn at that time..i would have been so much better off...pass this place along to those early premeds who can put it to great use.

im just so elated...i dont even know what to do. I think im gonna go on vacation for the first time in 10 years...and really appreciate my time
i wish every one of you still waiting would get your letters today too and i can feel the joy for you guys too..thats what i really want...my own joy only has lasted 2 hours..now i want to feel happy for others ...someone please post thatyou got a letter too!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :p :p :p :p

Reactions: 1 user
:thumbup: Thanks for the long post. It answered a lot of questions I had about your 2005 application. Good luck!

GqDocStar said:
..got my letter today..never got a waitlist letter or anyting...just the acceptance letter dated june 20th and i got it today!!!

Just browsing but wow GQ I'm happy for you....I think ur amazingly lucky considering u really didn't make the deadlines. I think other applicants can learn alot from your experiences. :thumbup:
Good luck at the Gold Coast... :)

everybody, id like to thank you for putting up with me as a osteo med student hopeful over the last few months...you wont have to put up with it anymore....yes im sorry to say that NOW YOU WILL BE SEEING ME IN THE NYCOM CLASS OF 2009!!! thats right everyone!!! im in..got my letter today..never got a waitlist letter or anyting...just the acceptance letter dated june 20th and i got it today!!!

hunter college transfer to stonybrook university after my first year there...
horrible grades the first year (sophomore) at stonybrook...this was when i took ALL MY CHEM AND PHSICS AND BIO requirements!! (Cs and Bs)..was on academic warning once
took 12 credits in the summer and 18+ credits per semester ever since and rocked ALL upper division bio classes ( i opted to take the hardest ones available too)
chose a second major in psychlogy starting my second semester of junior year...this upped my credit load to 22+ each semester (i wanted the b.s in psych)
Rocked all psych classes (again i took the hardest ones possible ..these were the neuropsych, biopsych physiological psych, cognition classes)
Signed up for kaplan mcat course with a cum 3.0gpa in fall of 03
Never went to it from november till april 04
didnt take the april mcats in 04, instead
Finished bio major in spring of 04
i studied in the summer ALL THE stuff i hadnt seen since sophomore year first semester. (only summer w/o classes)
Took august 04 mcats and scored 29R (9V10PS10Bs)
NOTHING BUT MCAT DONE AT THIS TIME---no recs, no personal statement, nothing..no premed committee..
Psych major completed in dec 04 or so i thought (had to take a class in winter online just to be able to graduate in december).
After i finished online class which was brutally condensed..
I started my application on jan 18 2005
finished my personal statement and application on jan 30 ready to be submitted
saw that i entered ALL classes wrong on the aacomas system (they have a different way of looking at fall and spring)
redid it all and got it submitted jan 31st at 11:36pm
applied to pcom, umdnj and nycom
met with premed comittee but they werent meeting!!! ahah
paid off parking tickets feb 4th and sent out transcripts from sbu
sent out hunter college transcripts feb7th i think...
everything got there by the transcript deadline of feb 14 EXCEPT sunysb
premed committe interview done via phone conference at 7am feb 3rd week
letter sent to nycom umdnj and pcom 2 days letter via fax
checked wiht aacomas why my stuff wasnt being sent to schools...this is when i found out about the transcript...spent 3 weeks sending transcripts 3 times and finally got there march 19!!!
Had to call nycom, pcom and umdnj to see if they would write letters to still accept my application.
ONLY NYCOM AGREED
Refund issued for the other two schools
NYCOM got my application profile on april 1st
Sent out my interview letter april 5th
Mail man lost all mail for 3days and i never got my interview letter till april15
Nycom calls me and wonders why i havent responded on april 12th
I take the interview on 21st of april wiht others who had applied ages earlier
Had D.O letter faxed the same day (on teh way to the d.o to shadow him for the day, i got into a car accident..had to fix my car on the road and put a donut on to get to him)
Gave in a M.D rec i got from a big shot at coney island hospital
waited
waited
letter of intent sent may 07
waited
waited
called and kept good contact with the admission office
gave in a md rec from cornell med with whom i spend 1 year doing research with (3rd week of may)
sent in volunteer letter first week of june for a track team i worked with since i interviewed
Went in every other friday and called every friday inbetween. Taryn Croot is awesome.
Literally gave up last night...for real..id show you my ims to a friend but its depressing...
woke up today to let the satellite guy in to install dish tv
checked my mail ..and BOOM ..thick envelope...taped..green can be seen through it...and i read the first sentence and just had to sit down.

EC's - 1.5 years of research in scoliosis, neurofibromatosis, marfrans syndrome at HSS cornell med
Resident assistant for 2 years wiht multiple grants awarded for information technology initiative i took in bringing residential halls up to tech for the future.
Rebuilt cars for charity auctioning...3 summers
Taught bio and math in rural village highschools in bangladesh for 2 months
assistant coached a high school track team and took them to penn relays for the first time in their school's history
those are the main ones..had a lot of clinical experience...NEVER VOLUNTEERED AT A HOSPITAL but this is the thing..i got paid to work at a hospital so clinical exposure is there and volunteered for charities in other ways eg. the car thing so the volunteer service is there too...i planned relay for life ..american cancer societies annual program. all in all I KNOW what i am and what i am not...im not an overzelous premed who does things to meet requirements...i didnt want to volunteer at a hospital so i didnt..i did want to volunteer my efforts in a way i could get the most for my efforts...the cars i built got near 10k for the charities...thats actually getting somewhere i WANTED to get doing what i love...i encourage everyone to do what they like and be genuine..i dont have 1 volunteer hr in a hospital but i do have 1000s of them at a hospital under salary..a very good salary at that...its a lot harder to rebuild a spun bearing in the crankshaft or replace a piston ring then it is to be a candy striper trust me ..but for me it was helping someone out with MS and i like working with my hands...whatever...im just rambling..be strong everyone..im sure there are lots of you in the position iwas in...be discouraged but know how to bounce back and be happy and then bounce and bounce and bounce...but just know how to deal with it and you will be ok..

its all over and yet its jus all started....for all those who lose hope...DONT...i lost it got it back lost it but never finally gave up even last night..im very appreciative of the opportunity to be what i want to be and do what i genuinely want to do with my life...this is the best gift i could have gotten EVER..its the gift of opportunity.

3.25gpa 29R mcat applied PAST deadlines..but showed them who i really am...and took a hold of the process and did what i had to do....dont let ANYBODY tell you otherwise...i had a supportive advisor at sbu but i only saw and spoke to him for 3 minutes because i knew what i wanted to do and was only there to ask him to write me my letter...SDN is the most valuable resource ive had in this whole thing...when i came to stonybrook i didnt even know what gpa meant..like whats a 3.6 or whatever...nothing...if i had sdn at that time..i would have been so much better off...pass this place along to those early premeds who can put it to great use.

im just so elated...i dont even know what to do. I think im gonna go on vacation for the first time in 10 years...and really appreciate my time
i wish every one of you still waiting would get your letters today too and i can feel the joy for you guys too..thats what i really want...my own joy only has lasted 2 hours..now i want to feel happy for others ...someone please post thatyou got a letter too!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :p :p :p :p :p
this is so lovely...your story is definitely inspiring!

As a current applicant to NYIT this absolutely confused me until I realized this thread was made nearly 10 years ago.

I wonder how OP is doing. They will have hopefully graduated by now and are most probably done with residency. I hope you're happy, and I hope being a doctor is treatin' ya well, OP.

we can just wonder...may be he/she is one of the adcoms in a DO school

Yes! Maybe current NYCOM interviewees have been questioned by OP. It's so weird to see some of these super old threads. I wonder how these people are. It must be so strange to look back and see yourself stressing about things that probably no longer seem relevant!