Anyone heard from UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quixote1974

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone gotten any follow-up from UIC's program?

Thanks....

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't. Did you?

No, I haven't either. I'm not going to base my rankings on how I think people are going to rank me. It's just nice to hear some expression of interest or a tahnk you, even if somewhat generic in tone, from a program you liked and which you thought liked you. Thanks for replying. Good luck in the match.

Rich

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind sharing- what was your opinon of UIC?

Hi,
Well, I think that the resources there are fantastic. Unless someone corrects me, I thought their psychotherapy training was excellent. They can draw from the psychoanlytic resources of the Chicago area (I think the head of one of the societies is on faculty), they have a pretty good representation of the other therapies as well. It's a big program, which can be good and bad. But, I was lucky to meet all the residents as a group at a recruitment dinner (I'm at a different campus than UIC but part of U of IL), and I just really liked the dynamics of the group. The residents also seem pretty happy there too. I think the bottom line is that you get a solid training, covering all the bases, in a supportive not too stressful environment with good colleagues, in an awesome city (Chicago!). Not every program I went to has a brand new fMRI center, as well as giving you opportunities to do community mental health. One resident said a possible downside to all this is that you might have difficulty integrating all of this stuff.

The only thing that's a little concerning to me is that I don't know if UIC has a national reputation. I did a few away rotations and UIC never made it on anyone's list of top 20 or so programs. Whereas other state schools like UNC did. I don't want to confine myself to Chicago, so I wonder if it'll make a difference. Where are you considering? PM me if you want to talk more.

Anyone know what UIC's reptuation is nationally?

After my "telephone interview" with the program director (he was out of town when I interviewed originally) last month, I haven't heard anything in terms of follow-up feedback. I was also very impressed by the program; I had a great "gut" feeling when I left. The residents seemed very happy and the facilities were great. I love Chicago but don't love the weather. Regarding their national reputation, I don't think it's that strong. For some reason, when people think of Chicago all they think of are NW and UofC.