You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone here actually enjoy doing night call?
Started by Sonny Crocket
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted126335
Uhhhh no. Especially bc my night call is at a busy level I trauma center. And also because many of the ACS will continue doing elective appys and choles and other BS wound care all night. And also because the 20 bed MICU here is full of sick pts but there's no fellow in house, just a clueless junior IM resident, so I get a billion stupid ass calls from them about lines and intubations for pts who were carelessly left to decompensate the day before.
But at least there's no OB, so I guess there's that.
But at least there's no OB, so I guess there's that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To be honest, I don’t mind it TOO bad. We are busy level 1 with high risk OB but we get the day prior and day after off so that helps and can get some personal stuff done those days. Usually things pipe down by 2-3 AM but not always. A very long, running-type of night keeps me pretty tired the next day. Definitely a young person’s game. Plus we get a nice bump for working night shifts. In my group I probably average 1 weekday night every 2 weeks or so.
We only do intubations so we aren’t up all night lining up MICU or cardiac patients, thankfully.
We only do intubations so we aren’t up all night lining up MICU or cardiac patients, thankfully.
As a resident, I love overnight shifts during the week. 1 weekday per week is ideal for me. It breaks up the week. At our program you get 1st out the day before, work 12p-7a or 3p-7a depending on assigned shift, then post call off. I'd say I get at least some sleep 80% of the time so I can live a pretty normal life on my post-call day.
Overnights are totally a mixed bag too. Get everything from sick ex laps, traumas, easy long boring hand cases (cursed microscope), or like my last night shift, LVAD followed immediately by heart transplant.
As an attending, I'm not sure I'll look forward to this as much.
Overnights are totally a mixed bag too. Get everything from sick ex laps, traumas, easy long boring hand cases (cursed microscope), or like my last night shift, LVAD followed immediately by heart transplant.
As an attending, I'm not sure I'll look forward to this as much.
D
deleted697535
I like night call when no one calls me
Every time I have a night call esp weekends, I look at my FIRE portfolio, investment policy and review my savings and Trundle to work to get slammed by Neuro IR, OB, would vac changes, peds trauma, lines and tubes. There’s no winning.
Busy busy busy level 1 trauma ctr with whorish administration trying to push cases so they can milk facility fees...anyways...
I cannot imagine doing this after I’m 50. Either ASC work or 26 on 26 off schedule with reasonable call is what will need to happen
Busy busy busy level 1 trauma ctr with whorish administration trying to push cases so they can milk facility fees...anyways...
I cannot imagine doing this after I’m 50. Either ASC work or 26 on 26 off schedule with reasonable call is what will need to happen
I like to take overnight call. Challenging cases, more unexpected. Some calls I manage to get a few hours of shut eye. Post call day off
Work at Level 1 trauma center and yes we deal with the same bs overnight lap chole and lap appy cases that some others have mentioned.
Work at Level 1 trauma center and yes we deal with the same bs overnight lap chole and lap appy cases that some others have mentioned.
About as much as I like getting kicked in the nuts.
D
deleted162650
I don’t like working at night, but I like being off post-call and coming in at 3 on my call day. Breaks up the week. To me the most brutal week is a week with no call but working into the evening everyday.
It helps that our call isn’t too onerous.
OB call also gives me a chance to get some work done without kids bugging me and watch some tv the wife isn’t interested in.
It helps that our call isn’t too onerous.
OB call also gives me a chance to get some work done without kids bugging me and watch some tv the wife isn’t interested in.
All of these things exactly!I don’t like working at night, but I like being off post-call and coming in at 3 on my call day. Breaks up the week. To me the most brutal week is a week with no call but working into the evening everyday.
It helps that our call isn’t too onerous.
OB call also gives me a chance to get some work done without kids bugging me and watch some tv the wife isn’t interested in.
While we get our fair share of BS late add ons here, the PITA admin clocking out at 1700 is a huge plus.
I'm not a fan of the toll on my health that comes from the disruption of my sleep wake cycle.
If I was just doing real life and limb saving procedures, I wouldn’t mind so much. Instead, I’m supposed to act like I give a d*** about the surgeons’ social/clinic/surgery schedule for the next day.
We finally put our foot down and told the general guys that we’re not doing lap choles after 10 pm unless the pt is getting septic.
The whole 24/7 mindset of American healthcare is burning out LOTS of physicians and nurses.
We finally put our foot down and told the general guys that we’re not doing lap choles after 10 pm unless the pt is getting septic.
The whole 24/7 mindset of American healthcare is burning out LOTS of physicians and nurses.
I give away at least 1/2 my night calls and I only do about 1 a month to begin with. Some take it for the days off, some for the money. I’d rather just do a room and go home to my bed.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So true. And I don’t think people really consider this as much as they should.I'm not a fan of the toll on my health that comes from the disruption of my sleep wake cycle.
Absolutely the worst part of the job. Have to do 2 in house 24s. Cant wait til I have enough saved to get out and sleep at home or mistresses each day of the week.
Hell to the noTitle says it all
Community non trauma calls aren’t bad especially if cRna is covering ob.
I can’t stand ob any more.
we do 5-6 calls a month. 48 weekend beeper calls every 5 weeks. Sounds a lot. But it’s steady. Usually done by 7-8pm weekday. Weekends vary.
even more trauma 1 calls are moving to 12 hour calls
the 24 hour trauma one calls are brutal. I don’t miss that.
But I enjoy pre call priority. Post call days off.
average physical time in hospital per week is around 30-45 hours for me. Plus beeper.
I can’t stand ob any more.
we do 5-6 calls a month. 48 weekend beeper calls every 5 weeks. Sounds a lot. But it’s steady. Usually done by 7-8pm weekday. Weekends vary.
even more trauma 1 calls are moving to 12 hour calls
the 24 hour trauma one calls are brutal. I don’t miss that.
But I enjoy pre call priority. Post call days off.
average physical time in hospital per week is around 30-45 hours for me. Plus beeper.
I think I'm somewhere between I don't mind it to I occasionally enjoy it.
In house 7p-7a. Mostly consist of yelling at surgeons to close down rooms. Lots of OB, and occasional trauma. We definitely have our fair share of BS chole and appy.
Enjoy being able to see my kid off to school in morning and seeing them after school before bed. Some of our most talented people are part of the night crew which makes it enjoyable as well.
In house 7p-7a. Mostly consist of yelling at surgeons to close down rooms. Lots of OB, and occasional trauma. We definitely have our fair share of BS chole and appy.
Enjoy being able to see my kid off to school in morning and seeing them after school before bed. Some of our most talented people are part of the night crew which makes it enjoyable as well.
D
deleted697535
Careful there bro! The latter is why some of my old school guys are still taking call into their 60sAbsolutely the worst part of the job. Have to do 2 in house 24s. Cant wait til I have enough saved to get out and sleep at home or mistresses each day of the week.
Is it a week at a time? That sounds very doable. Much better than 24 hours a day.I think I'm somewhere between I don't mind it to I occasionally enjoy it.
In house 7p-7a. Mostly consist of yelling at surgeons to close down rooms. Lots of OB, and occasional trauma. We definitely have our fair share of BS chole and appy.
Enjoy being able to see my kid off to school in morning and seeing them after school before bed. Some of our most talented people are part of the night crew which makes it enjoyable as well.
I find 24 hour call, or being awake and working for more than 16 hours a day to be cruel and unusual punishment. Total BS. Makes me wish I had been a shrink when on call.
Only thing I like about it is the money. But I don’t do it much because I don’t want to sell my soul and contentment for the almighty dollar.
If pre and post call days off, 24 hours is fine. I rather take less than more than 16 hours for overnight shift.
D
deleted87051
Our night call is not too frequent or onerous. Once or twice a month from 4pm to 7am with pre and postcall off. Usually work til 2300-0200, then get a few hours sleep. It’s well compensated, I enjoy the night crew, and the days off so I enjoy it. I wouldn’t mind doing more.
I enjoy the work of night call but not the hours being awake. It's never as busy as during a normal workday. It's just that the older I get the more it takes to bounce back. When I was a resident in my 20s, it was fairly easy. As an attending in my 30s it was still no big deal. Now in my 40s I feel it a bit more and it takes about 2 days to get back to normal afterwards. Not just physically tired afterwards, but also more irritable and on edge. I literally cannot image by colleagues in their 60s that still do this.
Working those night shifts does open up time during the day to get stuff done, though, so kind of a necessary evil at times.
Working those night shifts does open up time during the day to get stuff done, though, so kind of a necessary evil at times.
D
deleted697535
Ah come on though, who wouldn't do that!?!Our night call is not too frequent or onerous. Once or twice a month from 4pm to 7am with pre and postcall off. Usually work til 2300-0200, then get a few hours sleep. It’s well compensated, I enjoy the night crew, and the days off so I enjoy it. I wouldn’t mind doing more.
That's a late evening shift!
Night call is min 16 hours straight work until the sun comes up
What're you all getting paid for an average night call?
What're you all getting paid for an average night call?
we split all money and call evenly so I don't really get paid anything extra, just part of the job
0, academic, part of salary.
To be honest, I don’t mind it TOO bad. We are busy level 1 with high risk OB but we get the day prior and day after off so that helps and can get some personal stuff done those days. Usually things pipe down by 2-3 AM but not always. A very long, running-type of night keeps me pretty tired the next day. Definitely a young person’s game. Plus we get a nice bump for working night shifts. In my group I probably average 1 weekday night every 2 weeks or so.
We only do intubations so we aren’t up all night lining up MICU or cardiac patients, thankfully.
wait, let me make sure i read this right, you get day PRIOR and AFTER off... so lets say you take night call wednesday 4pm to thursday 8am... you also get tuesday and friday off?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
personally i hate night call, it ruins the sleep cycle and im tired for days afterwards.
its very busy, with so many appys, slow surgeons, short staffed. never liked the feeling of doing a 90 minute appy in the hospital alone with a CRNA or a CA1, while a trauma may hit or difficult intubation happen and you are stretched REALLY thin.
its very busy, with so many appys, slow surgeons, short staffed. never liked the feeling of doing a 90 minute appy in the hospital alone with a CRNA or a CA1, while a trauma may hit or difficult intubation happen and you are stretched REALLY thin.
wait, let me make sure i read this right, you get day PRIOR and AFTER off... so lets say you take night call wednesday 4pm to thursday 8am... you also get tuesday and friday off?
Yeah you read it wrong. We do 7-7 call.
If it’s Wednesday you are off that AM and then off all day Thursday. I know of many groups (especially MD only) where working post-call is the norm.
MD only here.
1st call comes in at 3pm with post call day off starting at 7am. Home call.
OB/2/3rd do 7-7 with post call day off.
1st call comes in at 3pm with post call day off starting at 7am. Home call.
OB/2/3rd do 7-7 with post call day off.
love it. good stipend, good team and netflix/hulu/disney+ on our 72 inch flat screen call room.
love it. good stipend, good team and netflix/hulu/disney+ on our 72 inch flat screen call room.
Ya. Same here. I bring my PS4 in on my overnight shifts and smoke some fools on Destiny 2 PVP. Big TV, free food, stipend, post call off, etc.
Mainly on Trauma/OB.
Can be hit or miss. Sometimes never see the call room, sometimes no traumas for 24 hours.
D
deleted162650
I bring my PS4 in on my overnight shifts and smoke some fools on Destiny 2 PVP.
NERD!!!
NERD!!!
You better run if you see this guy in your neighborhood. Nova bomb your ass to heaven bruh!
At this point in my career, I am looking forward to stopping call.
Pre call off usually 10-11 AM.
Call is a 24 hour shift busy level 2 trauma. Most nights get some sleep but no guarantees and usually working hard straight until 10pm-12am.
Post call day supposed to be off, but lately working 50% of time a compensated at $200/hr for a couple hours.
I *hate* the overnight calls. However, I hate working 6:30a-5p M-F even more.
Call is a 24 hour shift busy level 2 trauma. Most nights get some sleep but no guarantees and usually working hard straight until 10pm-12am.
Post call day supposed to be off, but lately working 50% of time a compensated at $200/hr for a couple hours.
I *hate* the overnight calls. However, I hate working 6:30a-5p M-F even more.
630 am to 5 pm daily is a grind. Those are a lot of hours. Don’t you guys ever get done before 5?Pre call off usually 10-11 AM.
Call is a 24 hour shift busy level 2 trauma. Most nights get some sleep but no guarantees and usually working hard straight until 10pm-12am.
Post call day supposed to be off, but lately working 50% of time a compensated at $200/hr for a couple hours.
I *hate* the overnight calls. However, I hate working 6:30a-5p M-F even more.
D
deleted126335
630 am to 5 pm daily is a grind. Those are a lot of hours. Don’t you guys ever get done before 5?
Sure, but the doc who doesn't work nights will never get a break in the event of a light day. That perk is only goes through those who do night call.
So either work 50-55 hours a week straight each week, or take night call and sometimes get off early on non call days?Sure, but the doc who doesn't work nights will never get a break in the event of a light day. That perk is only goes through those who do night call.
As in call is Optional?
D
deleted126335
So either work 50-55 hours a week straight each week, or take night call and sometimes get off early on non call days?
As in call is Optional?
No but we did have a few non partner track salary docs who almost never went home early. Their time was 4:00. if it was a light day someone who was high call got the benefit.
Well if I am gonna be a salary doc without call then I wouldn’t want to work 50-55 hours a week. Those are probably more hours per week than call taking partners.No but we did have a few non partner track salary docs who almost never went home early. Their time was 4:00. if it was a light day someone who was high call got the benefit.
I would ask for OT after 40 hours then if that’s the case. Those are plenty of hours not to be partner.
Yeah, that sucks.
Within my groups setup, I make 120% as much working a night 7-7 as I do working a day 7-7. I work ~25% as hard for that money.
I have no problem with night call in my setting.
I am even happier to work weekends 😉
I have no problem with night call in my setting.
I am even happier to work weekends 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In PP, appys wait until either 6 am or the next days schedule if there is time available.personally i hate night call, it ruins the sleep cycle and im tired for days afterwards.
its very busy, with so many appys, slow surgeons, short staffed. never liked the feeling of doing a 90 minute appy in the hospital alone with a CRNA or a CA1, while a trauma may hit or difficult intubation happen and you are stretched REALLY thin.
24 hour in house call Md only with q4-6 is too much work as you get order.
I can only do beeper calls these days. And no ob coverage.
7pm-7am is not “real overnight call”. It’s shift work. In my opinion
our practice (ACT) has gradually decreased the length of call shifts over the years to what you would now call shift work. It just got to be too much actual work and people did not feel safe any more potentially being that busy for 24 straight hours.
If it’s only 12 hours, then that is easily doable. Problem is, most practices’ night call consists of a lot 18 to 24 hour shifts.Within my groups setup, I make 120% as much working a night 7-7 as I do working a day 7-7. I work ~25% as hard for that money.
I have no problem with night call in my setting.
I am even happier to work weekends 😉
If all I had to do was work 7p to 7a and make more than days, would do this in a heartbeat. I would do it full time.
I know some people hate being up at night, but it sure beats being awake for 24 whole hours.