Anyone here do a masters before applying to med school?

Started by Ron Mexico
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ron Mexico

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone do one in mathematics or any other field. If so, what were your thoughts on it. Did it help you get in(GPA booster, more academic experience, etc)?

I'm interested in maybe pursuing one...but i'm not sure.
 
My friend did a MPH at Columbia a few years back after being rejected from 25 medical schools. He did well at the program, but decided on trying for dentistry instead. He got into almost every school he applied, and is now at a very, very good school. I don't know if it would have been as effective for medical school, but I'm sure he would have had some great options available.


Ron Mexico said:
anyone do one in mathematics or any other field. If so, what were your thoughts on it. Did it help you get in(GPA booster, more academic experience, etc)?

I'm interested in maybe pursuing one...but i'm not sure.
 
Ron Mexico said:
anyone do one in mathematics or any other field. If so, what were your thoughts on it. Did it help you get in(GPA booster, more academic experience, etc)?

I'm interested in maybe pursuing one...but i'm not sure.

I did a master's in biomedical science before I was even interested in applying to medical school. Now im back taking my pre-reqs in a post-bacc. One thing to note is that master's programs do not factor into your undergraduate GPA for allopathic schools, so you don't get a "GPA booster" as in a higher overall GPA. I've been told that for osteopathic schools do factor your graduate grades into your undergraduate GPA, so the overall is higher. In both cases they are listed seperately on your application, but I just thought I'd let you know. 😎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am doing a masters at my state school...

And Sundarban...it is kind of a GPA boost...though it doesn't factor into your Undergrad GPA, it will be listed as a graduate GPA...and how good does a 4.0 look on your graduate GPA given that the graduate program isn't a fluff program...I think adcomms will give it great consideration....atleast mine said that they would if I got a 4.0 and did better than a 25 on the MCAT like I previously did...
Thank God for second chances...
 
I am starting a master's in Cognition and Neuroscience this fall. I am also planning on getting my pre-reqs out of the way during the program. Although not the most optimistic outlook, I opted for the master's program as opposed to the pre-health post bac programs out there due to the fact that if for some reason I do not get into med school, I will have a graduate degree to fall back on...perhaps to pursue a PhD.
I think also, that in a master's program, you would be given the opportunity to participate/conduct research and try to get a couple of publications out of the deal....at least that is what I am shooting for. 😉
 
mizzoudude said:
I am doing a masters at my state school...

And Sundarban...it is kind of a GPA boost...though it doesn't factor into your Undergrad GPA, it will be listed as a graduate GPA...and how good does a 4.0 look on your graduate GPA given that the graduate program isn't a fluff program...I think adcomms will give it great consideration....atleast mine said that they would if I got a 4.0 and did better than a 25 on the MCAT like I previously did...
Thank God for second chances...

My concern was that perhaps the OP was confused with graduate work factoring into undergraduate GPA for allopathic schools. In that sense, no, it does not boost your GPA.
 
Ron Mexico said:
anyone do one in mathematics or any other field. If so, what were your thoughts on it. Did it help you get in(GPA booster, more academic experience, etc)?

I'm interested in maybe pursuing one...but i'm not sure.


I did my master's in Pharmacology and got accepted into a post-bacc program. Since there's a linkage agreement, I will matriculate into med school in Aug 2006. It was definitely helpful in terms of knowledge and networking. 🙂