Anyone here do AGO or an accelerated program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had my mind made up since last summer to do my rotations during the summer and graduate early, but now that the deadline is coming up to confirm and a lot of my friends are dropping out I'm having second thoughts.

Were you prepared enough for rotations? What did you have to do to prepare? I only have a two week break after school ends and rotations start. I don't know if this will be enough time for me to get ready.

In the end it's a difference of 6 months. I'm not sure how stressful it will be going all year round with no break. Some people I've talked to say their rotations were easier than classes, but I'm aware it could vary a lot. Then again, I have no plans for the summer anyway and will probably just end up working. All of my friends will be on trips and the bf is doing his clinical rotations so I'd really have nothing to do. *sigh* Does anyone have any regrets to what they should have done?

Members don't see this ad.

If I had the option to finish 6 months early I'd definitely do it. (of course, thats easy for me to say because I don't have the option! ;) )

I think if you're going to be working anyway, it would be nice to get the credit for school. Of course, theres the issue of not being paid, but think of how much sooner you'll be making "real" money.

crossurfingers said:
I've had my mind made up since last summer to do my rotations during the summer and graduate early, but now that the deadline is coming up to confirm and a lot of my friends are dropping out I'm having second thoughts.

Were you prepared enough for rotations? What did you have to do to prepare? I only have a two week break after school ends and rotations start. I don't know if this will be enough time for me to get ready.

In the end it's a difference of 6 months. I'm not sure how stressful it will be going all year round with no break. Some people I've talked to say their rotations were easier than classes, but I'm aware it could vary a lot. Then again, I have no plans for the summer anyway and will probably just end up working. All of my friends will be on trips and the bf is doing his clinical rotations so I'd really have nothing to do. *sigh* Does anyone have any regrets to what they should have done?

I don't have any input on your AGO, but a lot of your friends are dropping out? Does your school have a high attrition rate?

I did the AGO Program and Midwestern University in Chicago. I like the option to finish in 3 years and the fact that the schooling is year round. Only 2 downfalls that I can think of to being AGO. 1) if you are thinking of doing a residency, note that most start in July. You wont be done with the program until September. Most residencies will not start you late. On the brighter side, my current residency was willing to start me in September, so it is still do-able. 2) It still cost the same amount as going all 4 years, you just pay more the last 2 years to make up for it. Other then that I recommend the program.