Anyone homesick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Pill Counter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a thread regarding how people have coped with going abroad to study medicine. I'm half-way through my first year and it's been tougher than I thought. Great experiences, a lot of hard work, and no regrets, but still this is going to be a tough haul. Especially, being away from every single person you know. Anyone feel the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect it'll be the other way round for me. I'm moving to the US in less than a week to hopefully start my residency.

Pill Roller
I guess a lot of people feel lonely at different times. And its when you want to be with people you feel there is nobody around..

I had a few online chat room contacts in the past. I am trying to find a good chatroom, preferably with international residents with not much luck so far. will let you know if I find one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several of my classmates were homesick when they left the US for medical school. It appeared to me that those who were the *most* homesick were those who:

a) failed to develop friendships or close relationships with others in medical school; ie, they isolated themselves

b) those who had very little experience in traveling (these were also the same people who were very dissatisfied that Oz was NOT the US. As if it should be. :rolleyes: )

c) those with very close-knit families back in the US

and strangely enough, d) those who went back to the US often. Then again,it is perhaps the reason they went back so often. But it never really seemed to help as it seemed as if they lived their semesters just waiting to go back to the US rather than learning about their new home, making new friends, etc.

Being homesick is very natural, especially when living in a foreign land. Fortunately, for those making the Australia-UK-US transition, things are relatively close in being, so that things don't seem entirely different. Moving to Asia can be very disorienting (pun not intended) for the Anglo raised in a Western society.

Learning about your new home, exploring it, reaching out to the natives will help. It will probably be slightly worse than when you left home the first time to go to college (presuming you did) because of the cultural differences. However, it does fade and soon you will find yourself homesick for your new country when you leave it! :D

Kimberly
I though people in here travel a bit more even during uni stu vac, because all it takes is a 20$ country railway ticket.

Instead if somebody who lives in CA ( and most other states I believe )and try going to another state I guess it will take a lot more effort and time.(Unless they know how to drive at >120 miles and still not get caught by police) :D

Hi Pill Counter.

Interesting topic. I have lived abroad for a while myself. My advice regarding home-sickness would be:

1. Don't go back too often like at Christmas. Instead, have people come visit you. I'm sure you have friends that would love to see Australia.

2. Don't call home. Instead, write. Maybe in the form of group e-mails, so you feel like a cool-@aa explorer reporting home to the newspapers.

3. Enjoy being foreign. Use your accent and manneurisms to give you an edge. People don't judge foreigner; they find them interesting. I'm not saying you should wear your baseball cap backwards and call everybody dude to get attention. It'll come on its own.

Now, all this is true for a single person out to see hte world. If there's someone waiting for you at home, like a wife, girlfriend (or for the Brits, a game hound or a horse), you have a problem. Long distance relationships suck. I've been there and again they suck. I can't offer you any advice there. They will make you start counting days and using the phone too much. Basically a very bad scenario.

I'm not trying to lecture you. You seem way wiser than we in all regards. That avatar alone portrays a thinker; a sage; a liker of earthy shades.

Later.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SYD:
•Kimberly
I though people in here travel a bit more even during uni stu vac, because all it takes is a 20$ country railway ticket.

Instead if somebody who lives in CA ( and most other states I believe )and try going to another state I guess it will take a lot more effort and time.(Unless they know how to drive at >120 miles and still not get caught by police) :D •••••SYD - is IS true that MOST of the WORLD travels more than Americans. Fewer than 10% of Americans have passports; something like 60% of Aussies do. I do not know how many Americans travel within their home state or country, but I'll bet its still low. Driving to another state in the US can be time-consuming out west but here on the east coast its pretty easy to do.

I had assumed The Pill Counter was moving TO Australia, not the other way around. Even so, the advice I gave still stands.

Thanks for the responses. I'm dong fine! I was interested in hearing how other people adjusted to life far from home. I read about people wanting to go to the Caribbean or Ireland or here in Australia just for med school, but what is it like once you're doing what you wanted? It just seems some posters are so obsessed about going to med school anywhere, they may have not realised how hard it is to a) move far away from home, b) study a hard course c)do it for a long four or plus years
I have no regrets, and I'm enjoying myself, but I can definitely understand why this is not for most people.

TPC is right - I agree that some people are so obsessed about getting into medical school that they fail to expect the natural reaction to a radical change in living environment (these also tend to be the people who are upset when their new home isn't like their old one).

I know my medical school was very concerned about this particularly with single females or with those who had a long-distance relationship they were planning on continuing while abroad. Even for countries with as many similarities as Australia and the US, there can still be a huge adjustment. Living abroad is a great deal different than just traveling away from home for a few weeks. I can't tell you how much I missed Taco Bell! :wink: