I had a three year AF HPSP scholarship when I was at UCHO. I graduated in '96 and have been in the Air Force ever since. I have to say that I have really enjoyed my experience in the Air Force and would recommend the HPSP to anyone in Optometry. I have been fortunate to have had some really great experiences, good duty stations and have met and worked with some really great people. I enjoy my dual career as an Air Force Officer and Optometrist. Good professional military bearing will earn you many points witht the enlisted and officers that you serve with.
If you read about HPSP on the Military Med section of this forum, please take what the MDs say with a grain of salt. Their HPSP program pays for Med school and then they have to worry about which residency that they will match, based on the needs of the USAF/USA/USN. Notice that key portion of the statement, MD HPSP grads fulfill the medical services needs not necessarily the individual's "lifelong dream to be a pediatric urologist with an emphasis on........"
Optometry HPSP grads are realy only concerned with their first duty station after school since we are not required to have residency training. You finish school, pass boards, complete your initial officer training and you arrive at your duty station ready to practice. Each service is a bit different in the flavor in which you will practice, basically due to the different missions and cultures of each service. I like the flying mission of the AF, but I sometimes wonder if I was not meant to be in the Army sometimes (the possibility of jump school, air assault, etc.) I did earn the Army Expert Field Medic Badge when I was in Germany (one of two AF types amongst 240 army medics...the two of us AF-punks were among the 43 EFMB grads! It is one of my proudest accomplishments in my military career!) The best way to a good experience in the military is to have a good attitude with a can-do spirit. You will be surprised at the doors that will open to you with that attitude.
Of course, you have to also realize that our country is at war and you will be serving you country. Deployments are a possibility, and you may have to be separated from your family for a time. Currently, it is mainly the Army ODs that are deployed, but AF Optometry is trying to get in theater. I can't say what the Navy does, since I haven't really worked with them, but I have heard that they have tried to open Optometry billets on carriers. If you are unwilling to be away from your family, either immediate or extended, the military is not for you. You also need to be aware that tours are generally 3-4 years in length. If you stay beyond your initial commitment, you will most likely be re-assigned. For me that is a plus. In nine years, this is my 5th assignment and third overseas (Korea, Germany, Turkey). One of those assignments was a year long AF Optometry residency, which goes back to my "open doors" outlook of the military. Knock on doors and they will open for you! I have only been married for a year, but my wife (who had no prior experience with the military) absolutely loves our duty station in Turkey. She has been very flexible and open minded and has thrived here. Flexibility is the key to airpower and also with spouses!
I could go on and on about military optometry. If anyone has any questions, please PM me. I enjoy my career in the Air Force and would recommend it highly.
BK