Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Anyone in on a class action lawsuit

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by longhorn, Aug 8, 2002.

1. longhorn

longhorn Membership Revoked
    Removed

So I bumped into a Columbia med student the other day. We started talking about the whole interview process and he shocked me with his story. This guy was an All Star and interviewed at Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, and Columbia. He did not get intervews at his backups Thomas Jefferson and some other lower tier school. He told me how medical schools talk about applicants and if your gonna get in to a top school other lower tier schools will not interview you. Is this correct? If so, I think it is completly unethical and unfair. Everyone aruges about affirmative action but what about this nonsense. Thinking back I realize now why the Texas application asked about what other schools I was applying to.

Another shocking bit of info he told was that his Harvard interviewer gave him a hi-five at the interview and told him he looked forward to seeing him in his anatomy class next year. The guy didnt even get waitlisted at Harvard. Do interviewers just do this for $hits and giggles. He told me a possible reason for this fraudulent claim was that at some schools, Columbia for example, the Dean hand picks the whole class. There really is no point in an adcom.

Anyway I thought this news was distressing and I wanted to share it with you all.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

good luck with that

4. longhorn

Removed

Well obviously I am not gonna sue anyone. I don't think that would get you into any med school

5. jot

jot

i know - just kiddin;)

6. longhorn

Removed

Oh it was a joke... I tried to make my last post into a joke as well. I think it worked nicely.

7. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

sign me up. after i get in :)

8. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    perhaps places like Jefferson saw that guy's high stats and knew he was applying to the ivys and just knew they wouldn't get him.

It is sortof a shame though.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all just swap med school aceptances sometime over the summer?

9. longhorn

Removed

Still its bs. What if he didnt get in anywhere because of it.

10. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah, but thats beyond a moot point. He's at columbia. He should take his top 10 medical education and enjoy it. the harvard thing is lame, but you'te not going to find much pity for him.:rolleyes:

11. kaos

kaos Web Crawler
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ditto.

12. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

It also works in reverse, i.e. some people get into a top 10, who never expected to, and don't get into some of their back-ups or their state school. It happened to me. And every school where the interviewer acted like I would likely be accepted, I was. In general, though, the process is extremely random, due to the high volume of qualified (and, as you mention, in many cases, overqulaified, applicants for every slot), so it doesn't pay to get yourself too worked up over it. Just figure out how to maximize your odds, which is mainly by applying early to a lot of well-chosen schools with as perfect an application as you can manage.