Anyone in UW Class 2010?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annieili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious who will be my classmate soon in Class 2010, school of pharmacy, University of Washingtion? Appreciate! :)

Members don't see this ad.

TMVegas said:
I am!!!!!

So am I... but isn't that why we have the Roll Call page already? =P

Members don't see this ad :)
boobash said:
So am I... but isn't that why we have the Roll Call page already? =P

I think this is more for our school as opposed to the general roll call

Count me in! :thumbup:

I'm in also =) Do you guys know what you're doing about housing?

Melinda

Does UW give preference to WA state residents?

How competitive is it to get in? What are your stats(PCAT, GPA, extracurric.....etc.

eleanor_rigby said:

How competitive is it to get in? What are your stats(PCAT, GPA, extracurric.....etc.

No- I really don't think they give preference to WA students. I remember one of my interviewers saying how "difficult it was to find good students from WA interested in pharmacy".

I'm from CA. I have 2 other friends from CA that are attending there already. I think they look at the total package and how that individual will contribute to the school rather than relying on purely GPA and PCAT scores to evaluate individuals. I know for a fact that they read my supplmentals based on the bulk of their interview questions- so take your time when answering them.

I'm not sure about the statistics on acceptances- like applicants received: acceptances ratio. I know other schools received like 1,000+ applications for 80-100 spots... but you'd have to contact UW for those stats.
PCAT- 95
GPA- 3.3something from UC Berkeley
Extracurriculars: Multiple leadership positions in the pre-pharmacy and pre-health clubs, club volleyball coach, field research with medicinal plants in Peru, i tutored and lectured organic chem and nutrition at Cal, etc.. I basically loaded up on extracurriculars during my undergrad which may have affected my GPA but they definitely recognized my involvement.

In any case- your stats will only get you an interview. You have to do well in your interview to seal the deal.

Goodluck.

eleanor_rigby said:

Yes, I believe they do give preference to WA state residents, strictly based on the fact thats its a public school and they always state that they give pref. to residents.

Here are my stats:

PCAT: 70 composite
GPA: 3.7
Extracurric: Tons. Volunteered at my multiple locations, including pharmacy for a significant amount of time.

Also, they were impressed that I took advantage of my bilingual skills in my volunteer work. I made a big deal about it on the essay and they said that is what caught their attention. I speak Russian by the way. :cool:

meLtdown4meL said:
I'm in also =) Do you guys know what you're doing about housing?

Melinda

Hey Melinda,

Did you look at the housing links from Cher's email? They were really useful, pretty much I looked at Craiglist, and the UW student newspaper website. I just got an interview invite for pharmacy intern position at Children's Hospital in two weeks, so I'm gonna take that chance to also look at some of the apts that I've been eyeing.

Oh, and about the school giving preference to in-state or out-of-state. According to their website, they do give preference to in-state first. But when I asked about that at the interview, my interviewers mentioned that from their point of view and their evaluations, they do not distinguish between in-state or out-of state. So I'm not too sure when/where does the preference factors in. And yes, they do have alot of us California kids there, when I interviewed, they mentioned how almost every other kid was from California that week.

And finaly, as for my stats, I posted them before but here goes again:

PCAT 96 Composite
Cum GPA 3.4ish?
BA French, minor General Business
~2 yrs Sav-on pharmacy experience
Extracurricular: heap load of cultural activism, but nothing pharmacy related =P

Hey Bao!

Dude- I'm interviewing at Children's on June 2 (Fri) also!!! Wow-Bao!. That'd be pretty awesome if we worked the same internship. I'm also going to check out some places to live while I'm there with the parents. I've spent the past few weeks on craigslist and I've found some pretty decent places- but they all want me to come by within a few days and it's just not possible given the distance. So I'm just hoping I find something good when I fly on over in June.

Anyhow- have you tried any other internships. I'm still waiting to hear back from Swedish.

-Mel

Well I'll be darned! =) I also applied to Swedish and Harborview, and waiting on them. I haven't picked a day yet for the interview at Children's, still eyeing plane tickets and trying to coordinate things so I can hit a few birds with one stone.

Goodluck with the interview and apartment hunting!

I am in UW class of 2010 too...Just saw this site a couple of days ago...
Nice to know your classmates ahead of time :D

I have one more prereq to finish before applying for internships...could anyone guide me as to how I should go about applying? Should I wait for my license to be issued by UWSOP?
Thanks!

pharmie said:
I am in UW class of 2010 too...Just saw this site a couple of days ago...
Nice to know your classmates ahead of time :D

I have one more prereq to finish before applying for internships...could anyone guide me as to how I should go about applying? Should I wait for my license to be issued by UWSOP?
Thanks!

Hi Pharmie and welcome to the site!!

Hey Mel, finally confirmed my interview date for tuesday May 30th. ~sigh~ you guys really did snatch those interview slots fast (i know I shouldn't be surprised) but yeah, by the time I emailed Children's back, tuesday was the only day left, so I took it. =P Did they also tell you that if we get the position, we'd be expected to work as early as mid june? Everything is going so fast!! But I guess if that's our window of opportunity, we better jump through it before it closes. But yeah, now I'm starting to get a bit anxious/worried about apt and also wondering if I will get that license on time.

Ok, Pharmie, you were wondering about the intern license? You said you had one more prereq do finish, do you mean to finish during summer school or finish this spring quarter/semester? To be honest, I think it might be a bit late to apply to summer internship at a hospital now. You can always email them to check, but I know most of the major hospitals are already conducting interviews or booked them weeks in advance (and there's only 4-2 spots per hospitals). But if you really want to, I would definitively start the paperwork for your WA state pharmacy intern license now, and start emailing places to see if they're still interviewing. Don't wait anymore!

boobash said:
Hi Pharmie and welcome to the site!!

Hey Mel, finally confirmed my interview date for tuesday May 30th. ~sigh~ you guys really did snatch those interview slots fast (i know I shouldn't be surprised) but yeah, by the time I emailed Children's back, tuesday was the only day left, so I took it. =P Did they also tell you that if we get the position, we'd be expected to work as early as mid june? Everything is going so fast!! But I guess if that's our window of opportunity, we better jump through it before it closes. But yeah, know I'm starting to get a bit anxious/worried about apt and also wondering if I will get that license on time.

Ok, Pharmie, you were wondering about the intern license? You said you had one more prereq do finish, do you mean to finish during summer school or finish this spring quarter/semester? To be honest, I think it might be a bit late to apply to summer internship at a hospital now. You can always email them to check, but I know most of the major hospitals are already conducting interviews or booked them weeks in advance (and there's only 4-2 spots per hospitals). But if you really want to, I would definitively start the paperwork for your WA state pharmacy intern license now, and start emailing places to see if they're still interviewing. Don't wait anymore!

Thanks Boobash!

Hey Bao-

I wasn't told of the mid June requirement at all for Children's. I was just asked to send in my resume and they offered me an interview right after with the details. There's nothing stated on the poster on the UW site. I guess I'll ask them about it when I interview...grr. That is a bit fast though- We'll be interviewing beginning of June and they're only giving us 2 weeks to move up there? It doesn't sound right. :scared:

Last edited:
meLtdown4meL said:
Hey Bao-

I wasn't told of the mid June requirement at all for Children's. I was just asked to send in my resume and they offered me an interview right after with the details. There's nothing stated on the poster on the UW site. I guess I'll ask them about it when I interview...grr. That is a bit fast though- We'll be interviewing beginning of June and they're only giving us 2 weeks to move up there? It doesn't sound right. :scared:

As far as internships getting filled up- I think the "good" internships get taken before July. There is still UW Medical Center- which isn't the best, but it's still an internship available. I'm sure there are plenty of retail pharmacies looking for interns too... which is what I'll try to do if I don't land Children's. Either that or I'll play volleyball for the women's club team =)

Yeah, I was really surprised too about the mid-June thing. She mentioned it to me in the email inviting me for the interview, like a disclaimer to make sure I wanted/was ready to move and committed. Now just found out that I got a phone interview with Harborview tomorrow! Excited and terrified at the same time! What have you heard from UW Medical Center?

meLtdown4meL said:
Hey Bao-

As far as internships getting filled up- I think the "good" internships get taken before July. There is still UW Medical Center- which isn't the best, but it's still an internship available. I'm sure there are plenty of retail pharmacies looking for interns too... which is what I'll try to do if I don't land Children's. Either that or I'll play volleyball for the women's club team =)

Does UWMC have internships available, because I haven't been able to find anything about it? If so, where did you find information on the internship/what do you know about it?

Thanks

TMVegas said:
Does UWMC have internships available, because I haven't been able to find anything about it? If so, where did you find information on the internship/what do you know about it?

Thanks

Bao- Congrats on Harborview!!! I hear that's an excellent internship. Goodluck tomorrow. You should rest your voice!

TMVegas- I know UWMC has internships b/c my friend is currently working as an intern. I'm pretty sure we'll get more information at the orientation meeting(s).

Goodluck!

Last edited: