Anyone interview w/ U of Chicago or Med Coll of GA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

em4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the interview reviews, but do not believe I've seen anything on U of Chicago or Med College of GA. I'd be happy to hear anyone's personal opinion of or interview experiences with these programs. thanks! :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading the interview reviews, but do not believe I've seen anything on U of Chicago or Med College of GA. I'd be happy to hear anyone's personal opinion of or interview experiences with these programs. thanks! :cool:
I just added MCG for you viewing pleasure.

May want to check out this link...http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=349468&highlight=Medical+College+Georgia

It is a review by a second year resident. I would concur with his assessment of the program and will say that I've been very impressed with the training I have received (I'm a first year resident). The volume is quite decent, and we see lots of sick patients.

Wook

I've interviewed there, sorry I haven't posted, but it takes a long time to do a usefull post. I've been busy and it desn't seem like many people are posting, so I've kinda given up. I'm on interview #11 and have only written like 3 posts. Oh well.

DISCLAIMER: I did this interview over a week ago, and have done several since then. This is all from memory. Please feel free to correct me or add comments, just don't go nuts if I screw up some details!

In summary. I think it is a very strong program. The residents come from all over the country (not commonly seen in the midwest) and come from top notch medical schools(a big goal of the PD per a resident). Aside from a ton of details that can be found on their website, things that stuck out with me:

1. When you fly, you are carrying patients. This means you need to always be ready to sign out your patients to the R3 if you get paged. All the residents seems to feel fine with this and said it just means you are close with with R3 and keep each other updated frequently. I'm more a fan of dedicated/segregated flight shifts. I feel like having to fly and see pts would cause me to go about things in a different way. For example, I feel it would limit my ability to practice multitasking. I rarely as a med student saw a pt, made all the orders right away and completed the chart ASAP before I ever started things with another patient. But, if there is a chance you could get a flight and have to run, you better have that chart completed before you start messing around with a new patient. I think to be a efficient community doc (where you are earning your keep based on your productivity) you better be darn good at multitasking. In defense, the residents don't fly on all shifts....sometimes they are in one 10 bed room (can't remember what they call it) and they just cover the rooms, no flight. Also, during they day there is a "teaching R3 resident" that takes first dib on flights/ground transports, meaning you are less likely to fly. But when the R3 is out or you are working in the evening, your 1st up for a flight and better be ready. I wouldn't mind learning the skill of signing out patients fast, but I just don't see how I will ever need that skill once I'm out of residency.

2. The second thing that stuck out a little bit was the new "teaching resident". This is an R3 position that was recently added at the U of C hospital due to, in my opinion, what sounds like understaffing by faculty resulting in a lack of teaching. I applaude them on addressing the issue by adding an R3 and I think this would be a great experience as an R3 (1st up to fly and time to catch up on reading/EBM stuff/time to teach), but I would rather have the majority of my teaching from attendings, not a resident that only has 6-12 months more experience in the ED than I do! Plus it sounds like the R3 does a lot of procedure supervising for the interns and also sees their own patients.

3. Something like 10 of the 36 months are done at a second facility, Lutheran General, an upper class hospital in the NW side of chicago. This is quite a ways from the UC campus. Residents say the avg. commute is 45 minutes, but it can be as long as 1.5 hrs if snowing. Neither of the hospitals have good mass transit access. It sounds like the experience is awesome at this hospital (work 1 on 1 with an attending, see good patients, good teaching), but it is a lot of commuting. To make up for it, the shifts are shorter in the ED (I think 8 hrs on weekdays, and 12 of weekends), but it just means more time in your car, less time in the ED.

4. During the interview all the residents were very nice and answered a ton of my questions, but the whole environment wasn't that laid back. I really don't think it was the residents, but more due to the fact that UofC doesn't have a preiniterview dinner where you can drink beer and chill out and really get to know some people in an informal environment.

5. The UofC is no longer a Level 1 trauma center for adults, so you do trauma rotations at Christ. This again is a long ways out of town (45min commute). Sounds like a great experience, but you won't have as much level 1 trauma integrated into your regular ED shifts (if you even care). It sounds like they get plenty of trauma, and what the hell does trauma mean anyways. Its really about sick medicine patients and they see plenty.