Anyone interviewed at GW recently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wisdom2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am interviewing at GW the first week of December. I was wondering if someone would let me know the best airport to fly into, the best hotel to stay at, and the best way to get around. I got a couple of hotel offers with my letter. But I wonder if there would be some better deals around.
I have never actually been to DC, and I am planning on staying an extra day to visit the area. Any recommendations welcomed.
Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

I went to Dulles, which turned out great. From the airport take the Washington flyer shuttle (from door 4, $14 round trip) to the metro at West Falls Church. From here take the Orange metro line ($1.60, very easy) to the Foggy-Bottom station, which is located right outside GWU's new hospital. I stayed at GWU Inn on campus for $75/night (+tax). Hope this helps, and good luck!!

By the way, it takes about 50 min from the airport to Foggy-Bottom (it could take longer with the shuttle during rush hours). Depending on your interview schedule you could be done as early as 1 pm, but there is a campus tour at ~2:30 pm. The interview times and interviewers are assigned randomly the morning of your interview. Call Darrel in the admissions office if you want to interview early. Enjoy!

Try to flying into National Airport, if possible. National is a bit more expensive (sometimes), but it is only about 4-5 stops away from GW (Foggy Bottom) on the metro (blue line).

As far as accomodations... The school will set you up with a student if you requet it. Although, the beginning of Dec. may be difficult since we have finals around then (but, you would see what it's really like to go to GW!). There are a lot of hotels in the area: GW Inn, Double Tree, Watergate (which you can sometimes get really good deals online), etc.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'm a MS1 at GW

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. These are great advices. They'll certainly help.

as for the hotels, the ones they sent me info about were all not offering rooms with the discounts when i called so i ended up looking on orbitz.com. on that site you can actually specifically look at hotels close to a particular landmark (i.e. the school) and ended up getting a sweet hotel a block away where i paid $100 (not cheap but its d.c.) for a room that normally went for $225 a night. so i suggest trying orbitz, travelocity, and hotels.com

Thanks. I think I did pretty good with expedia.com. Now I need to plan the weekend :) I need to read about the school too.