anyone interviewed at Harvard of UPenn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Anhedonia

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just curious.....

if so, what was the experience like? 2 ivy league schools must be an intimidating experience.

Members don't see this ad.

dude that topic sentence doesn't even make sense. please fix it and maybe someone can help you..

my apologies that you are offended. i'm sorry that "r" and "f" are right next to each other on the keyboard.

let me rephrase the question:

has anyone interviewed at harvard OR upenn? i'd love to hear any experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interview at harvard this feburary.

Chance of getting interview isn't too bad there. (people get intimidated and don't even apply).

they told me about 950 people applied for class of 2013. and they interview somewhere around 120~150 people a year.

Anyway, they give you two interviews back to back.

One with faculty and one with 4th year student.

but on my interview day, 4th years were having mock license exam, so i had to interview 2 faculties back to back (yay...)

interviews aren't too different from other schools.

hardest question was "if you can pick one person out to dinner, who will it be? and why?"

I didn't apply to Penn because their secondary was too crazy haha.

I interview at harvard this feburary.

Chance of getting interview isn't too bad there. (people get intimidated and don't even apply).

they told me about 950 people applied for class of 2013. and they interview somewhere around 120~150 people a year.

that's what i thought, but i wasn't certain.

may i ask, when did you submit your AADSAS? February seems late, but then again, i really can't say i know :)

i submitted in mid sept., so i'm worried that when (if) i get an interview, it won't be till REAALLY late.

btw, the upenn secondary wasn't too bad. just 4 questions pertaining to our experiences and goals in dentistry.

that's what i thought, but i wasn't certain.

may i ask, when did you submit your AADSAS? February seems late, but then again, i really can't say i know :)

i submitted in mid sept., so i'm worried that when (if) i get an interview, it won't be till REAALLY late.

btw, the upenn secondary wasn't too bad. just 4 questions pertaining to our experiences and goals in dentistry.

It does not matter much for Harvard as they do not select everyone until March. The select only 12-15 applicants on december 1st. Rest of them are selected until march. They actually read every application and if they like you, you will be accepted regardless how late or early it is.

It does not matter much for Harvard as they do not select everyone until March. The select only 12-15 applicants on december 1st. Rest of them are selected until march. They actually read every application and if they like you, you will be accepted regardless how late or early it is.

IS THIS TRUE ??? what happens if you get a few offers as of Dec 1, and only have 45 days to respond, but want to hear back from Harvard ? That blows majorly.....

IS THIS TRUE ??? what happens if you get a few offers as of Dec 1, and only have 45 days to respond, but want to hear back from Harvard ? That blows majorly.....

yeah that's what i'm worried about too. not that i think i would get accepted or anything, but the timing just doesn't match up as nicely as i would like.

so if one hypothetically was accepted to school X in December and had 45 days to respond, they accept, then Harvard accepts them in March, could this individual withdraw from school X and take his spot at Harvard? (obviously he or she would lose their deposit).

yeah that's what i'm worried about too. not that i think i would get accepted or anything, but the timing just doesn't match up as nicely as i would like.

so if one hypothetically was accepted to school X in December and had 45 days to respond, they accept, then Harvard accepts them in March, could this individual withdraw from school X and take his spot at Harvard? (obviously he or she would lose their deposit).

Yes, why couldn't you? You will just lose your deposit. BUT if you hold multiple spots to multiple schools without withdrawig from one, around march or so they will mail your names out to each school and the school will give you about a week to decide if you want to drop from the other school. If you're still holding multiple spots by then, then both schools may drop you.

just curious.....

if so, what was the experience like? 2 ivy league schools must be an intimidating experience.

It probably is intimidating for those who have the notion in their blood that penn and harvard are super good schools and it is a big big achievement to get interviews there. What is sad is that when I told my parents about penn and harvard interviews, they were like "but it is so far from seattle!" and I didn't see much excitement coming from them.

Although I am very happy about those interviews, I don't have that pride or great achievement or intimidation feeling, which kinda sucks:(. Should've been born in the US:D

Yea, but dropping a deposit is mad expensive. some of them are 1,000 +....

I'm not happy with the way it sounds harvard does stuff.....

Yes, you can withdraw from School X in May also and accept Harvard's offer. You just cannot hold multiple spots after May 1st.

Yes, why couldn't you? You will just lose your deposit. BUT if you hold multiple spots to multiple schools without withdrawig from one, around march or so they will mail your names out to each school and the school will give you about a week to decide if you want to drop from the other school. If you're still holding multiple spots by then, then both schools may drop you.

You can hold multiple spots until MAY 1st. On May 1st, ADSAS sends out the name of the applicants holding multiple spots.

Yea, but dropping a deposit is mad expensive. some of them are 1,000 +....

I'm not happy with the way it sounds harvard does stuff.....

There is no deposit fee at Harvard. So if you get accepted to Harvard, you still paid for only one school (the one that you will lose if you accept Harvard's offer).

I interviewed at Harvard last Thursday and it wasn't bad at all. The admissions assistant even told us not to get nervous because the people there are really nice. But just because the interviewers didn't ask particularly difficult questions doesn't mean that you won't stumble; there are things I wish I hadn't said. Two back-to-back interviews can be a little taxing though (thankfully mine weren't back-to-back, but I had zero sleep the night before so it was also exhausting). By the way, it was my first time in Boston and the traffic sucks.

I think what sajjy said was a little bit misinterpreted. They don't accept 12-15 students (I'm pretty sure the numbers a bit higher than that anyway) in Dec and then hold off and leave people in limbo until March. All they do is hold true to rolling admissions unlike a lot of other schools in the country. Your chance of an acceptance interviewing in February is similar to that of a September interview. They also don't just have 2 acceptance dates like one on Dec. 1st and another in March...they accept all the way through March. Bottom line, if they like you a lot after the interview, they'll accept you. If they want to compare you to interviewers later on in the cycle, you'll be waitlisted. Simple enough. IMO this is the fairest way it can be done and provides opportunities for the school to accept the best applicants throughout the entire cycle.

I think what sajjy said was a little bit misinterpreted. They don't accept 12-15 students (I'm pretty sure the numbers a bit higher than that anyway) in Dec and then hold off and leave people in limbo until March. All they do is hold true to rolling admissions unlike a lot of other schools in the country. Your chance of an acceptance interviewing in February is similar to that of a September interview. They also don't just have 2 acceptance dates like one on Dec. 1st and another in March...they accept all the way through March. Bottom line, if they like you a lot after the interview, they'll accept you. If they want to compare you to interviewers later on in the cycle, you'll be waitlisted. Simple enough. IMO this is the fairest way it can be done and provides opportunities for the school to accept the best applicants throughout the entire cycle.

Yes, I should have mentioned about Harvard's true rolling admissions policy. Thanks A1pha, now back to MCM:(

does anyone know how many people are being interviewed each day?

Last edited:
yes havard is rolling admission. when i interview around feb They told me about 20 seats were filled.

And... I submitted my application around mid october. so it was really late... don't do what i did lol it was bad.

yes havard is rolling admission. when i interview around feb They told me about 20 seats were filled.

And... I submitted my application around mid october. so it was really late... don't do what i did lol it was bad.

do you remember how many people were there for interview with you?

do you remember how many people were there for interview with you?

Harvard interviews only on Thursdays and Fridays. The number of interviewees vary. Sometime there can 5-6 interviewees or 2-3 only. They might not even interview on certain Thurs/Fri.

In your opinion does either program hold more weight with specialty programs or in the dental world in general? Harvard is a more recognizable name in all of the country but they are both Ivies.