Anyone invest or run a business on the side during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start med school in August. With a friend, I have sort of been working on a business start-up that I hope I'll be able to run during medical school. I also have some savings that I want to invest in stock market.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has done anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

lots of people do.

I had a friend, who with his wife, designed, manufactured and sold baby items.

I own and managed some rental property.

I had friends that did some day trading, one did VERY well.

I plan to. I'm not in med school yet but I want to get one going before it starts!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm investing in the stock market along with my wife while I am in dental school. (I start this fall). Well, I don't make the investment decisions-- I am letting our financial advisor handle that, as I would just lose all our money if I picked the stocks myself. It's nice to know that we will have some money growing for us while I'm in school. A trusted and skilled financial advisor is a must.

I don't have much capital anymore (tuition :() but I still invest with a small amount of my savings. I only invest in a few stocks that I consider to be sure things, instead of dabbling in penny stocks like I did in college. It won't make me rich but it's a fun pastime, and hopefully I can begin to build a good portfolio over the course of med school.

I plan on getting at least one rental property.

i wanted to do stock trading or rental property but have no capital at all right now. would using loan money be legal still?

:sleep:
how does one go about getting one of those? where can you get the cash for a down payment?

That's the problem. Most banks want 20% down and most college kids don't have 20-40k laying around. You could get a friend or parent to loan you the money but you wouldn't be able to pay them back for 3-5 yrs when you could use the equity to get some cash and refinance.

How much income can a rental property offer you? and by that I mean netincome = rent - mortgage.

How much income can a rental property offer you? and by that I mean netincome = rent - mortgage.

The way things are currently, unless you pay cash for the home, you are doing VERY good to have a positive cash flow of 100-200 bucks.... and that better be put back for when you have maintenance issues at the home.

I think the good side of rental properties is to build some long term wealth, not so much to 'make wealth'. In other words, the key is to let someone else pay for the house.... so that in 30 years, you have a 'free' house... not so that you can stay at home and pay your own bills and go to the movies off your rental income.

Lets say you buy a 100K home; 20% down will be required plus closing costs.. so you need around 23K+. You get a 30 year loan for 80K... That loan only is going to be just under 500. Then you have to figure taxes and insurance, which varies from state to state. You can probably assume 100-200 per month on those. That makes your total out of pocket $700. Usually rentals will 'rent' for 1%, but I dont think they are doing that well in many markets. At least where I am at, a 100K house is probably going to rent for 900ish a month.. and it needs to be a decent newer home with decent upgrades to get that...

That leaves you $200 a month 'profit'. Of course, you better make sure you have access to some money as when the A/C unit quits, hot water, etc etc.. you need to get it fixed ASAP. Also, remember there will be some months where its not rented so you still have to pay that $700 bill out fo pocket....

Also, as a medical student, I think getting a home loan, let alone a rental loan, is going to be super difficult (unless you have some deep pocket family folks behind you). When I bought a home as a resident 5 years ago, it was a piece of cake.. I took little to the table in the way of down payments and was a bit nervous about the amount I was borrowing. Four years later, things have changed in the mortgage market. I took 20% to the table, was married, and combined had a well into six figure income (resident, moonlighting, and her income) with a contract starting as a full time EM physician..needless to say, it took multiple hops, and much more time to get the loan approved... and I felt MUCH more comfortable with the home we were buying and felt like we could have easily afforded a home that costs twice as much. Its a sign of the changing mortgage ways..

Last edited: