Anyone know of good MSW programs with a strong clinical focus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringpsych3384

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello loves! I want to provide 1:1 therapy in private practice ideally, am thinking of LCSW over LPC just based on how it's more versatile. However, seeing as so I ideally want to provide therapy, I want to be very very knowledgeable on psychotherapy and overall be the best clinician as possible.

I do want to learn about social work to be able to be more holistic, but I am very interested in psychological concepts and that is my main interest.

If you guys know of any good programs please let me know :) Thanks heaps in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Shameless hometown plug: Houston has a big medical center, and the University of Houston has SW work schools in both the main and downtown campuses.

At work I talk with clinical LMSWs (UH alumni) of whom one is currently pursuing near identical goals: becoming an LCSW, interested in therapy, and wanting to be thoroughly knowledgeable of psychotropic meds. She told me that she gets mental health SW experience in local hospitals (EDs and in-patient psych centers) while our employer (healthcare system) covers the cost of her training.

I can't speak about the quality of SW education at UH since I am not a SW student or graduate, but from what I've gathered of her explanations, the process of becoming a LCSW is more longitudinal experience-based (for example can't complete hours in less than 2 or 3 years iirc) than didactic.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Shameless hometown plug: Houston has a big medical center, and the University of Houston has SW work schools in both the main and downtown campuses.

At work I talk with clinical LMSWs (UH alumni) of whom one is currently pursuing near identical goals: becoming an LCSW, interested in therapy, and wanting to be thoroughly knowledgeable of psychotropic meds. She told me that she gets mental health SW experience in local hospitals (EDs and in-patient psych centers) while our employer (healthcare system) covers the cost of her training.

I can't speak about the quality of SW education at UH since I am not a SW student or graduate, but from what I've gathered of her explanations, the process of becoming a LCSW is more longitudinal experience-based (for example can't complete hours in less than 2 or 3 years iirc) than didactic.

Best of luck!
thanks for this response :)

Hi guys, I previously posted this but haven't got much luck on responses. I am looking for a good MSW program with a strong clinical focus as I am very interested in providing 1:1 therapy as I want to eventually become a LCSW with my own practice.

I heard NYU, columbia, rutgers, and hunter were good. Any other recommendations? Preferably on the east coast. I really want to go to west chester but I don't think they have a strong clinical focus. :(

Thanks so much! :)

Here are my two cents: LSCWs are more versatile if you're wanting to do case management and such, LPCs are trained solidly throughout their programs for psychotherapy. There's a lot of similarities (focus on social justice, system knowledge, growth focus, etc), and there are differences. If the depth of knowledge is important, don't cut counseling programs out of your search. If you end up searching for couns programs, make sure to look at CACREP accredited programs :) Good luck on your search!

Hello loves! I want to provide 1:1 therapy in private practice ideally, am thinking of LCSW over LPC just based on how it's more versatile. However, seeing as so I ideally want to provide therapy, I want to be very very knowledgeable on psychotherapy and overall be the best clinician as possible.

I do want to learn about social work to be able to be more holistic, but I am very interested in psychological concepts and that is my main interest.

If you guys know of any good programs please let me know :) Thanks heaps in advance!
Smith College School for Social Work in Massachussetts is your one of your best bets for a clinically driven MSW program.