Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Anyone know someone who's turned down an acceptance and reapplied?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KarateGirl, Mar 7, 2007.

1. KarateGirl

10+ Year Member

I applied several years ago, got accepted, and then decided it wasn't right for me at the time. Now I'm in a much better situation, and I'm feeling like I might want to apply again. I know turning down an acceptance is not going to be viewed as a point in my favor, so I wonder if it's worth trying? Has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks for any input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TleilaxuMD

TleilaxuMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

Yes.

4. StringerBell

StringerBell It's the final countdown!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The general consensus is that it's real bad news to turn down an acceptance and then apply again. However, it seems that your situation is a little bit different; i.e., you didn't turn down an acceptance just because you thought you could get into a better school or because you wavered on your desire to go to medical school. Explaining your situation would probably go along way to acquiring some leniency in applying again.

I couldn't agree more!

5. KarateGirl

10+ Year Member

I forgot how fast the replies come on this forum!

Thanks for the feedback, I guess it really does depend on the particular situation. I'll have to give it some more thought.

6. Darksmurf

Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf
    7+ Year Member

7. ryanl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    From what I understand, the only place it may be an issue, and the only people that would know this would be the university that accepted you. The other Universities wouldn't know unless you tell them.

So I'd say go for it.

8. Disinence2

Disinence2 Emergency Medicine
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I do. It's not looking good for them this cycle either...

9. OHare

OHare MD
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Most Admissions Offices don't keep those kind of records. I interviewed at a school who didn't even know I'd applied before.

10. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you applied several years ago and have since done something positive with your life (i.e. gone to grad school), then you'll be fine.

On the other hand, if you went into Real Estate because the market was booming and have only recently decided to switch careers as the market is slowing down, then you'd be a high risk candidate for most med schools. Don't be surprised if you get ignored by med schools.

Ultimately, your decision to turn down an acceptance will matter to the one school that you turned down. After several years have lapsed, no other school will know that you turned down a previous acceptance.