Status
Not open for further replies.

Isoval

I'm marginally higher on the totem pole.
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
Status
Medical Student
Hey I’m not the only one who noticed!

About the Ads

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
He has written about 37k posts. When someone has posted that much, the odds are that some will annoy or upset some snowflakes, oops, readers.

As others mentioned, @Goro doesn't suffer fools gladly, and rightly so on a forum like this where it does no good to "tickle the ears" and encourage unwise paths.

Looking at his most recent posts, nothing glaring stands out, so unless a post was later edited, don't know what caused the time-out. Maybe someone bearing rose-colored glasses was reading a more older post, got his spectacles steamed and reported. If that's the case, maybe everything will shake out soon.

Hopefully he'll be back.

PreMedMissteps

The Great West Coast
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2017
I know a lot of people in this generation resent any kind of negative feedback, but fact of the matter is that delusional premeds are best served by straight talk. Even though it hurts their feels.

Right! Because at the end of each app cycle, there are no Participation Trophies handed out.

Reactions: WGSgrad

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
Same ol', same ol'.

We like @Goro , we really do but he has repeatedly violated the Terms of Service. People do get upset; we have no way of knowing if they're "special snowflakes" but when a user has been warned about X and they keep doing X, then action against their account is only fair. Even Goro has agreed and owned it. FWIW, he's one of the very few who is gracious about the administrative actions against his account.

So carry on, he'll be back soon.

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Because SDN is now a safe space where criticism isn't welcome. Slowly pushing out all honest assessment until it is devoid of any real worth and essentially useless.

About the Ads

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Because SDN is now a safe space where criticism isn't welcome. Slowly pushing out all honest assessment until it is devoid of any real worth and essentially useless.
Or they're just treating everyone the same. The TOS are the TOS, whether you're goro or a new user. He's a great resource, but the rules don't stop applying to you just because you give great info.

Jul 25, 2017
Same ol', same ol'.

We like @Goro , we really do but he has repeatedly violated the Terms of Service. People do get upset; we have no way of knowing if they're "special snowflakes" but when a user has been warned about X and they doing X, then action against their account is only fair. Even Goro has agreed and owned it. FWIW, he's one of the very few who is gracious about the administrative actions against his account.

So carry on, he'll be back soon.
He's slightly Simon Cowell with the delusionals

And his input is invaluable, especially for the same people

AttemptingScholar

2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I know a lot of people in this generation resent any kind of negative feedback, but fact of the matter is that delusional premeds are best served by straight talk. Even though it hurts their feels.
I was one who got some straight talk, and it definitely served me well. People (like me) need to have their bubble burst occasionally.

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Or they're just treating everyone the same. The TOS are the TOS, whether you're goro or a new user. He's a great resource, but the rules don't stop applying to you just because you give great info.
I agree that everyone should be treated the same. My issue is not necessarily just with Goro, although I do wholeheartedly agree he is a great resource, but with the whole website as of late. People are genuinely trying to help somebody and then that person doesn't appreciate it and reports it. It's an online forum, people take it a little too seriously sometimes. When I started using SDN what I loved about it and what made it better than other online resources was the blunt honesty IMO.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
He has written about 37k posts. When someone has posted that much, the odds are that some will annoy or upset some snowflakes, oops, readers.

As others mentioned, @Goro doesn't suffer fools gladly, and rightly so on a forum like this where it does no good to "tickle the ears" and encourage unwise paths.

Looking at his most recent posts, nothing glaring stands out, so unless a post was later edited, don't know what caused the time-out. Maybe someone bearing rose-colored glasses was reading a more older post, got his spectacles steamed and reported. If that's the case, maybe everything will shake out soon.

Hopefully he'll be back.
I'm probably misreading things but where did you get the assumption that Goro got into trouble because some sensitive person over-reported him? You think he did nothing wrong to deserve it?

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'm probably misreading things but where did you get the assumption that Goro got into trouble because some sensitive person over-reported him? You think he did nothing wrong to deserve it?
Assuming, which I admit I should not be but it seems all SDN cares about anymore is protecting everyone's feelings. However, my statement has come from seeing this progression over time and not this isolated incident.

Reactions: PharmD500

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
Assuming, which I admit I should not be but it seems all SDN cares about anymore is protecting everyone's feelings. However, my statement has come from seeing this progression over time and not this isolated incident.
I don't think this is what happened actually. I oppose over-censorship too but honestly in this case, it looks like Goro was already given significant leeway into his behavior that other members would immediately get banned for it. I think SDN realizes Goro provides valuable info to the community, but just being a useful member doesn't mean he's allowed to break forum rules despite being warned about it repeatedly.

Applying forum rules consistently to every member is important.

DNA Polymerase

Unwind. Extend. Anneal. Repeat.
Sep 14, 2017
Don't mean to chime in, but I do agree that SDN (and any other internet community that has a few core members) put certain members on a pedestal too much and worship those like Demigods.
It can be a great resource, but it makes no sense to get too engaged personally with people on the internet.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
Most reports concerning the content of one's posts are rejected. Just because someone reports something doesn't mean that the consensus will end up that action is warranted, unless there's a clear violation of TOS. We have a warning "ladder" that is there to encourage people to change their behavior while allowing them to stay on the site.

I guarantee you that we aren't handing out warnings just because "someone got their feelings hurt". Like @wingedscapula once said, SDN is cats and we have no problem with people handing out and taking their bitter medicine on these boards, as long as it is done in a fair manner, as Goro tends to do himself. If it helps - and it shouldn't, but I'm afraid that it might - most mods are >30. We are individuals and have differing opinions on some decisions that are made on the site, but we're pretty unanimous on this one. Here are some facts about this one:

1. Goro's previous warnings made it so that this subsequent one put him on hold. Yes, we could choose not to put him on hold but we don't like the idea of having different standards for different users. In my personal opinion (not speaking for other mods here), it is even more important that users "representative" of SDN be held to these standards since they are a model for the community.

2. Goro had been warned on a few occasions regarding this behavior (the particular violation was intent to inflame/derail) and talked to even more times without disciplinary action about it.

3. Goro's account will be unlocked in two weeks when hopefully he will discontinue this behavior.

About the Ads

Lucca

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
Now, Starfish, on the other hand, was banned for being a multiple-time returned troll.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I agree that everyone should be treated the same. My issue is not necessarily just with Goro, although I do wholeheartedly agree he is a great resource, but with the whole website as of late. People are genuinely trying to help somebody and then that person doesn't appreciate it and reports it. It's an online forum, people take it a little too seriously sometimes. When I started using SDN what I loved about it and what made it better than other online resources was the blunt honesty IMO.
Except you have no idea if that's what happened. You're assuming.

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Except you have no idea if that's what happened. You're assuming.
I'm assuming that's what happened with Goro, which could be 100% incorrect very easily. I'm not assuming that it has happened outside of this incident.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I'm assuming that's what happened with Goro, which could be 100% incorrect very easily. I'm not assuming that it has happened outside of this incident.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This thread is about goro, and your initial response was in response to the thread. Outside of this instance, I have no idea. You could be right. But there are definitely other things it could have been. He's not exactly one to pull his punches.

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
I agree with this decision completely. At the same time, sad reacts only for a two week Goro-less sdn.

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
I kinda wish the admins actually followed through with the "we are going to give a description of why people's accounts are suspended/banned," that was talked about a couple years ago... though mostly for my own personal entertainment rather than anything productive for the site.

I've also only ever been cautioned (not even suspended) by the mods 2x in almost 12 years on this site when about 40% of my posts are snark, so it's not THAT hard to avoid violating TOS.

About the Ads

On_The_Way_Up

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Let him free!!

Lucca

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
I kinda wish the admins actually followed through with the "we are going to give a description of why people's accounts are suspended/banned," that was talked about a couple years ago... though mostly for my own personal entertainment rather than anything productive for the site.

I've also only ever been cautioned (not even suspended) by the mods 2x in almost 12 years on this site when about 40% of my posts are snark, so it's not THAT hard to avoid violating TOS.
Goro has a tendency to post deliberately inflammatory political comments which are totally unrelated to the content of the thread, often leading to derailment. Like I said earlier, normally these violations result in a private warning and that's that, but repeated instances of this same behavior in a relatively short window of time (within several months of one another before most warnings "expire", so to speak) result in things like probation, post-hold, etc.

I should also note that I didn't mention this outright because I think it's actually quite rude to talk about another user's behavior in the open when they are on post-hold and therefore cannot "defend themselves" as it were, but given Goro's status on these boards I felt it was necessary to give a clear explanation to users who have always looked to him for advice or help. The same reasoning why I didn't just close this thread or any of the threads that have been created in the past when action has been taken against long-time users.

Last edited:

@Lucca God forbid people make inappropriate comments about our rational POTUS who wants to build a wall after he forcibly extradites the dreamers who despite having no convictions are in truth mostly "rapists" and criminals. I guess all the DACA emails in my inbox from various schools should also be considered inappropriate. It's not like we live in a time where appropriateness has been throw out the window.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoBear

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
At this point I'm afraid Goro is like the poor car driver with a cop following him- for miles. If a cop follows any driver long enough, they can eventually come up with a possible reason to pull them over. (didn't signal early enough, signaled too early, etc.) I wonder if the "snowflake union" has ordered a hit on Goro? Almost 40,000 posts, and all this trouble in the past couple months... I hope he comes back, but if it were me, I would either withdraw from providing advice completely or maybe start up a competing site - "Goro Board" anyone?

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
@Lucca God forbid people make inappropriate comments about our rational POTUS who wants to build a wall after he forcibly extradites the dreamers who despite having no convictions are in truth mostly "rapists" and criminals. I guess all the DACA emails in my inbox from various schools should also be considered inappropriate. It's not like we live in a time where appropriateness has been throw out the window.
I actually really like Goro, but most of you are really missing the point here. No one has a problem with such comments when they are in their proper place, the lounge or SPF forums. The mods are talking about derailing threads not in those forums. I also believe that most people here are blind to the irony of talking about people being snowflakes or too sensitive given the comments and behaviors here.

Lucca

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
City of the Future
Status
Medical Student
the political content of his posts is not in question or the issue, it is where and how he made them that resulted in the action. I have no love for trump and have strong opinions about the direction of the country in general but PreAllo is not the place to have those discussions. There can be no doubt that most, if not all, topics in medicine have some political element to them and political discussion is allowed when it concerns matters related to being a preMed, applying to med school, etc. That being said, just because the mainstream political environs of the US are a circus that does not mean that SDN has to be as well.

(for everyone else there is the SPF)

Last edited:

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician

Please. His comments and input are generally invaluable.

If he has political views you don't like, don't read his political comments.
Bro, you've been here two months. If you don't like the moderation standards here, there's always reddit.

Dox4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2017
Except Goro is the opposite of Reddit; specifically he has a lot of knowledge and doesn't seem to start drama He's 90% of the value of this forum.
I see where you're coming from, but the mods have to maintain standards regardless of how valuable the poster is to keep this forum under control.

It's like saying we should keep LeBron on the court regardless of how many fouls he commits because he adds more value than almost everyone else. Doesn't happen often, but if it does, he has to be dealt with just like everyone else.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net

Please. His comments and input are generally invaluable.

If he has political views you don't like, don't read his political comments.
Except Goro is the opposite of Reddit; specifically he has a lot of knowledge and doesn't seem to start drama He's 90% of the value of this forum.
The forum rules apply to everyone, and violating the forum rules result in consequences. Goro is not above the forum rules. And the sole reason why he is on Account Hold is that he has repeatedly violated forum rules despite repeated private reminders and warnings by SDN moderators.

I get people are upset, but it's a key lesson to learn that forum rules are there to be respected. When someone registers for an account on SDN, they certify that they agree to Terms of Service. Violating forum rules is essentially a breach of contract and results in disciplinary actions.

The same goes for any institution that has rules, such as universities, businesses and governments. Rules are there for a reason and must be adhered to no matter what.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Not sure you grasp the concept of a TOS.

But surely you would not be so averse to people constantly posting things about President Obama that compared him to Hitler or some other terrible historical figure as goro tends to do here with POTUS.

He has awesome advice and is a great resource. But he is a user of this forum, and the rules are very clear. Violate them repeatedly at your own risk. I think he's had more leeway that many others would have received.

Edited for brevity.

Last edited:

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
That's kind of the whole point though. I agree with what you said here. However, Goro's making the comments in threads about completely unrelated topics where people are asking for help with pre-med stuff, and absolutely no reason to bring up politics. So you're not expecting to see the comment until it's there - it's not something that can be easily avoided. Evidently some other users are incapable of letting a joking side comment slide, and it ends up derailing the entire thread, getting it locked, and then the OP doesn't get the answer to their original question. Goro's not completely at fault for this - I agree that the better thing would be for those who disagree to just roll their eyes and move on. But let's be real, that won't happen anytime soon.
If you want to post about the president, take it to the social thread or the lounge. It's not that hard to keep your political comments to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads