anyone know why pfizer vaccine has to get to room temp before mixing, but can then just be refrigerated again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharminfl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to let pfizer vaccine sit for 15 min before mixing diluent. I cant find any reasoning for this. anyone got any theories?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a longer shelf life if frozen.

Have to thaw as it's a frozen suspension, not just a "disc" of virion particles like other vaccines that can or must be frozen

There's a longer shelf life if frozen.

Have to thaw as it's a frozen suspension, not just a "disc" of virion particles like other vaccines that can or must be frozen
its not the thawing from frozen that i'm wondering about. After I thaw it over several hours in the fridge, why do I need to wait for it reach room temp before mixing the two liquids? after I mix them, the mixture goes right back in the fridge anyways.

I haven't seen anything official about this. I think it is mostly because Pfizer says so.

I guess it does make sense for saline and concentrate to be in the same temperature range for better mixing but is it critical? Let's hope not because I don't know if everyone waited 10-15 minutes on their final vial of the day and patients are in a hurry to go get their dinner.