Anyone matching into Derm as second residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromatin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year or recent years....

Members don't see this ad.

Yes...there were several of us out there this year!

Thank you for your reply!
Did any 2nd residency candidates match this year into derm though?
Was it a mid-residency switch? Or after completing a residency?
Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very interested in knowing more information on this as well. I am finishing a non-derm residency right now (had not matched derm initially and decided to finish this residency) but interested in pursuing derm even now.

There is scarcity of information for people like us. I would love it if current or past applicants who've had success can provide mentorship/guidance.

Would be wonderful if we can gather all the information on this thread.

There are a few residents who match after a year of residency in peds, ortho, IM. All of these individuals were excellent candidates to begin with, and took a year off before reapplying to do research in derm. I also know of some residents who finished residency in a seperate field in peds, path, IM before they reapply to derm. Some of them had to finish the residency before they repeatedly fail to match year after year. Some of them had to take additional time to do derm research after residency. Some path-trained residents also did a dermpath fellowship before switching to derm. Funding could be a problem so they tend to match into programs that could fund the residents on their own without a full GME fund. As far as this cycle goes, I have met candidates who did a partial residency in ENT, plastics etc. Not sure where they end up.

I matched into derm after completing a different residency (IM).
To describe it quite broadly, having completed a second residency gives you fewer options for derm residencies; many will not consider you due to the funding difficulties mentioned above. But many programs actively like applicants who have finished residency in something else, and I received a lot of positive feedback about this during my interviews.
When you apply as someone who has more experience in medicine you are expected to have very clearly defined goals of what you want your path in dermatology to be.
I'm happy to answer other questions about this process, or PM me if you want to talk specifics.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Dermione Granger and bicoastal! These are very helpful info!

This year or recent years....

Agree with all the advice above. I don't have first hand experience with this but I have seen certain programs tend to be friendlier to applicants who are matching into derm as a 2nd residency. I would definitely start your search at those programs and see if you can speak with those residents or graduates to get the best roadmap (as funding issues can be tricky for those completing a 2nd residency)

Hello guys, anyone knows which are those programs that could fund their own residents without a full or partial GME fund? Or how could I find these programs on the internet. Thank you very much!

This list changes every year so there is no definitive resource on the internet. I would suggest applying broadly because you never know what will pan out. when I applied, there were 2 programs that had extra funding approved partway through interview season so they were suddenly very interested in anyone who had already completed an intern year--and there is a lot less competition for those spots. good luck.

This list changes every year so there is no definitive resource on the internet. I would suggest applying broadly because you never know what will pan out. when I applied, there were 2 programs that had extra funding approved partway through interview season so they were suddenly very interested in anyone who had already completed an intern year--and there is a lot less competition for those spots. good luck.

Thank you for the info. At the time of my application I will be a certified pathologist, so I will have to do a preliminar year in internal medicine or a transitional year in order to be a candidate for Derm. Do you know how things are for preliminar years once you have another residency finished. I have been reading and apparently after your initial training Medicare only funds 50% of whatever was funded in your first residency.

My questions are,

1) is it possible to find a Medicare funded or not preliminar year position after finishing your first residency?

2) Since dermatologists can sign out their own biopsies, do you think is it necessary to do a Dermpath fellowship,? that was my first intention and I love dermpath, I discovered clinical dermatology during my Dermpath rotations. I think that being a certified Dermpath would be more appealing to the programs, but I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking.

So my pathways options would be: Pathology > Dermpath> Preliminar year> Dermatology

Or

Pathology>Preliminar>Dermatology

Thank you so much for the advices

Hmm. That is definitely more complicated. My thoughts:
1. Probably. Hospitals use other funds to fund their residency salaries (clinical revenue, etc) so they don't only depend on Medicare funding. However, you would probably be less attractive as an applicant. I don't know where you would begin to find which programs would be open to this. It's always a good idea to reach out to your home program where you currently are--they may be the most receptive to you or at least might be able to point you in the right direction.
2. I think that probably depends what you want your ultimate job to be and what the trends are in the city you are in. You might be better off asking dermpath trained people. In the region I work, derms who havent done dermpath only sign out their own easy cases (BCCs, SCCs) or maybe a bit more than that if they are in solo practice. Otherwise to work for a bigger group it seems like everyone is dermpath fellowship trained. In terms of if it makes you more competitive to derm residencies... I dont know. I doubt it would make a huge difference (since you are already bringing a lot of path knowledge).

Hmm. That is definitely more complicated. My thoughts:
1. Probably. Hospitals use other funds to fund their residency salaries (clinical revenue, etc) so they don't only depend on Medicare funding. However, you would probably be less attractive as an applicant. I don't know where you would begin to find which programs would be open to this. It's always a good idea to reach out to your home program where you currently are--they may be the most receptive to you or at least might be able to point you in the right direction.
2. I think that probably depends what you want your ultimate job to be and what the trends are in the city you are in. You might be better off asking dermpath trained people. In the region I work, derms who havent done dermpath only sign out their own easy cases (BCCs, SCCs) or maybe a bit more than that if they are in solo practice. Otherwise to work for a bigger group it seems like everyone is dermpath fellowship trained. In terms of if it makes you more competitive to derm residencies... I dont know. I doubt it would make a huge difference (since you are already bringing a lot of path knowledge).
Thank you, very useful your observations.

Any other thoughts or insights?

How many years do people have to typically wait before matching after finishing their residency? Also do these candidates from other residencies have a lot of derm research experience?

Any other thoughts or insights?

How many years do people have to typically wait before matching after finishing their residency? Also do these candidates from other residencies have a lot of derm research experience?

It usually takes some time as you need to build up contacts within dermatology. Derm research is usually the best way to do so.

It usually takes some time as you need to build up contacts within dermatology. Derm research is usually the best way to do so.

How much time? What do people do during this time, research? This seems like a rather risky plan since what will they do if their plan doesn't work out?

How much time? What do people do during this time, research? This seems like a rather risky plan since what will they do if their plan doesn't work out?

How much time depends on the person. I've seen people match the year after while they are doing research (yes, most people typically do this to get a foot in the door at a derm department). I've known people who needed to wait 7+ years to match while doing research the whole time (this btw seems nuts to me. But I guess they hated their original field enough and were desperate enough to get into derm)

It certainly is risky. You are turning down a job that will pay in the 6 digits as an attending (no matter what field you are currently in as a resident) for a research position that will often pay you like a resident. There are no guarantees you will match.

Is it worth the risk? I think only you can answer that.

For the most part, unless you are really working with a vindictive PI or are just a terrible person, I haven't yet personally met a research fellow who didn't eventually match. For those who don't match, I've heard stories about them resuming their careers in more rural areas (typically IM/FM) and focusing on skin since those areas are underserved and patients don't typically care whether you're a board-certified dermatologist.

I love dermatology. But I personally would find something else to do rather than keep trying to match into dermatology. But hey, everyone has to make their own decision when it comes to their career.