Anyone matching or intend to join path field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bochaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an IMG and now considering about joining Path fields. Anyone just match or want to join it too?
Any opinions? What are your credential ? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Case in point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll give this person enough benefit of the doubt to write a short reply.

Mekel - your post, if you're not trolling, illustrates what many American pathologists think is part of the problem in the field at present. Lots of people going into pathology, lower salaries, and many of them with mediocre diagnostic and English language skills. If you're not a troll, I'd suggest working as hard as you can to be an excellent diagnostician, and to speak English better than a native speaker. I know multiple IMGs who do both of those things, but many, many, many more who do not.

Yaa I wasn't trolling. But actually, I really like this field. So do you mean it's very hard to match the program these days?

Yaa I wasn't trolling. But actually, I really like this field. So do you mean it's very hard to match the program these days?

Matching into a program isn't hard at all. But finding a good job in an area you want to live after residency is.

It's very difficult to find a job after residency/fellowship. The market is pretty terrible and doesn't show a lot of signs of opening up in the future, despite a decades-long predicted shortage that people are still trying to sell to get bodies in residencies. If you like something else, that's probably a better move.

That would certainly be news to all the fellows struggling for jobs. Unless "much much better" means "now you can do three or four fellowships! You'll never be truly unemployed!" And when the market opens for a forensic/cyto/micro/breast specialty, you're golden.

AMGs avoid it because AMGs pattern off the "cool residents" they encounter during their educational process. Path residents have been, with some exceptions, largely a group of people you would never want to be left alone in room with. FMGs meanwhile operate in perpetual survival mode and take what they can get, creating a failed feedback loop for Path as a specialty.

Lol, she seems like a good person

Her survey addresses employer expectations. Does this apply to number of pathologists looking for jobs versus number of jobs available?

Notice how she said most jobs aren't posted and you need to network, network, network. You must brown nose to find a job in this field unlike other specialities who are heavily recruited.