Technology Anyone mess with IE9 yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know IE is not widely used among those on these forums, but anyone mess with IE9 yet? I think it's nice, but sometimes it gives me problems with loading images from random websites.
 
I think it's the best IE since 6. It's fast and it's minimalistic. However, I have noticed the same thing, the default security is a little too aggressive. Unfortunately, until sites start getting updated to the current standard, your only choices are to either live with it, drop the security down a notch or two, which I don't suggest, or try compatibility mode.
 
I may have to try it. Slowly becoming more and more frustrated with firefox as I still run into memory leaks and times when it just crawls to a hault.

So is IE9 speed/stability wise at least as good as the current firefox?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I may have to try it. Slowly becoming more and more frustrated with firefox as I still run into memory leaks and times when it just crawls to a hault.

So is IE9 speed/stability wise at least as good as the current firefox?

:laugh: you must be using a PC.
 
:laugh: you must be using a PC.

No, Darwin is pretty terrible when it comes to handling apps that are leaking memory. It's the failure of the application programmer(s) to malloc() properly, not the OS.

on-topic: I like it, but I still only use IE when the site requires it. That being said, I wouldn't be terribly upset with a corporate setup where I could only use IE, it has gotten much better.
 
I've been using IE9, and I have to say that I like it a lot. Much faster, very minimal, and works well with jump lists in Windows 7. I had some problems with loading images in sites while using the beta and release candidate, but with the final version I'm pretty happy and think it is better than Firefox for my current needs.

That being said, aside from hardware acceleration, which I haven't noticed much of a difference with on my system (I don't have a terribly impressive graphics card), IE9 doesn't really offer anything that Chrome 10 and Opera 11 don't and is missing some key features like flash on demand and a ad-block. As such, I am probably going to stick with Opera for now, but will be using IE9 as my secondary browser when needed for compatibility sake.
 
IE9 shows that Microsoft is possibly, finally, beginning to listen to its users for the first time since Windows XP. I think this will win back some hardcore IE users that went with another browser because they hated IE8.

Overall, I think this bodes very well for Windows 8. If they stick with this fast, minimalistic approach (which seems to be the core of their "MinWin" concept) for Win 8 they could very well slow down the relentless Mac onslaught.

There has been a lot of press over the last 12 months or so on the impending death of the relevance of Microsoft in the 4G/Tablet/Smartphone era of which we are on the cusp, but I think this shows that Microsoft could still prove it's relevance as we undergo this transition from non-mobile/semi-mobile to fully mobile always-on/always hooked-in computing. I guess we'll know how things will pan out in the next 24-36 months, which is basically a lifetime in the IT world.
 
Just use Google Chrome, that's what IE9 is (poorly) modeled after anyway.

Chrome biggest problem is that it is a total memory hog. Right now I have the same stuff open in Chrome v. Firefox and chrome is pushing 250mb and Firefox is only using 72 mb, inexcusable (chrome does this because it pre-loads things so it preforms faster if i recall).

Plus chrome doesn't handle images well and I often have problems with it hitting the 32 bit limit of 2 gigs and crashing.
 
Chrome biggest problem is that it is a total memory hog. Right now I have the same stuff open in Chrome v. Firefox and chrome is pushing 250mb and Firefox is only using 72 mb, inexcusable (chrome does this because it pre-loads things so it preforms faster if i recall).

Yeah, well at least Chrome doesn't initiate a whole new process every time I open a new tab 🙄

Plus chrome doesn't handle images well and I often have problems with it hitting the 32 bit limit of 2 gigs and crashing.
I'll give you that one...
 
Yeah, well at least Chrome doesn't initiate a whole new process every time I open a new tab 🙄

I'm kind of having the opposite issues. Chrome up now with 4-5 tabs and I have like 7 different processes running, each taking up 8-16MB RAM.

Firefox open as well with 4 tabs, only one process but it's already at 200MB RAM and there are times when I close firefox but the process is still running using 300+MB.
 
I've been using IE9 as my primary browser for awhile now (been steadily upgrading from betas to release candidate to RTM), switching between it and Chrome 10. Aside from the aesthetics I don't really see an advantage of using IE9 over the other. I do love the polished, clean look it brings -- the top bar really gives your desktop background a chance to shine while using just as much space as Chrome's version of the Omnibar. I've got SDN pinned to my taskbar along with the New York Times and Facebook and I really enjoy the added functionality, even if it is a little redundant.
That said, IE9 has a couple of problems on my computer that force me to switch back to Chrome to temporarily sidestep. Typing in texts on the web Google Voice interface is disgustingly slow, YouTube videos don't go into fullscreen mode smoothly (I just get a black screen while the audio plays and it won't go away until I exit out of FS and re-enter it), and it doesn't play nice with file-hosting sites like Fileserve and Filesonic.
When it can fix that stuff though I'll have no problem making it my permanent browser. I'm not really drawn in by Google's web apps.
 
FireFox 4.0 is out now. It's my primary (only) browser now. They say it's faster. I want stability, mostly. My biggest gripe with IE 7-8 was how freakin slow tabs took to open. I'm a tab crack addict. I open them like mad.

Definitely love firefox although I wasn't a fan of the upgrade to 4.0
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
FireFox 4.0 is out now. It's my primary (only) browser now. They say it's faster. I want stability, mostly. My biggest gripe with IE 7-8 was how freakin slow tabs took to open. I'm a tab crack addict. I open them like mad.

Agreed! Firefox 4 has been fantastic. Much faster, much more stable, compatible with everything, and still has the best add-ons. I went away from Firefox for a while since I wasn't very happy with the 3.5-3.6 era. I tried IE9, Chrome, and Opera (which I really liked, too bad for the compatibility issues), but I'm happy to now only use one browser.